Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years?

+10
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
MartinBWFC
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Copper Dragon
Boggersbelief
Reebok Trotter
Alf Hooker
Sluffy
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Who is the crappiest one ever with a cherry on the top?

Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_lcap10%Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_rcap 10% [ 3 ]
Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_lcap23%Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_rcap 23% [ 7 ]
Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_lcap30%Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_rcap 30% [ 9 ]
Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_lcap37%Who as been Bolton's worst manager in the last 20 years? Vote_rcap 37% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 30

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

We've had four crackers recently - but who is the worst of the lot?

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

there's summat wrong with the buttons - it will only let me choose one. .

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Alf Hooker wrote:there's summat wrong with the buttons - it will only let me choose one. .

:biggrin: 

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I honestly can't say. Personally I though Little Sam wasn't given enough time. Then when he was sacked I was prepared to give Megson the benefit of the doubt but it didn't get off to a good start because the fans didn't want him from day one! I know he had a miserable demeanour but at least he was able to grind out results.

Coyle was supposed to be the new Messiah after his success at Burnley in getting them promoted to the Prem but it turned to be another false dawn.

I was genuinely hoping that Dougie would be the next Alex Ferguson but it's looking less and less likely with each each passing game. In fairness, the current squad have to shoulder much of the blame because they are on bloody good wages but are not producing bloody good performances.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Definitely coyle. He made so many bad decisions, freedman now paying for it.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

5 - Sam Allardyce

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Coyle - He lost sight of the Primary Objective: Thou shallt not get relegated from The Prem and thusly lose out on all that lovely new TV money which starts in 2014.

That was obviously Gartside's genius plan to clear the debt, so he is personally responsible for us being so fucked now and having to endure Freedman's bollocks.

"Are we practising corners today, Boss?"

"Nah.....let's play Ping-Pong. It's more fun! Do you like my new shorts?"

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Coyle without a single doubt for me.

Lee tried to change things too quickly and without taking the dressingroom with him - put a lot of big ego's noses out of joint and he wasn't powerful enough to deal with them - rank bad man management.

Megson was dour but basically effective. His PR skills were no existent and he paid the price for that and not explaining the reason behind his bramd of football.

Coyle was clueless. He had one plan that worked well in the begining but once eveybody and their dog saw that he only had this one trick in his locker he was found out - and every team and their manager knew what to expect, planned for it and beat us easily thereafter.

Coyle should never have got that side relegated and that with his transfers in (and massive wages and contract length) - Sordell, Mears, N'gog, etc - well basically fucked the club up for at least a decade - maybe more.

Freedman - took on a poison chalice - but tactics wise, seems to be out of his depth. Can't believe he made Knight club captain - clearly has questionable judgement too.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So what you are saying is that Gartside spoiled Bolton's premier league stay (with the blessing of Bolton fans), as well as Burnley's.

Yes.

He's an evil Blackburn supporting genius.......

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'm probably answering this too soon after tonights piss poor performance but Freedman for me.

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

Copper Dragon wrote:So what you are saying is that Gartside spoiled Bolton's premier league stay (with the blessing of Bolton fans), as well as Burnley's.

^ This man is an odious twat and I hate him ^

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Phil Neal was a baddun, but fuck me I would take him over this prick any day.

We got promoted under Chin Neal.

Can you see that happening under Doug......?

Fully agree with you, Martin.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's obviously between Coyle & Freedman.

I'm going for Freedman. Coyle was a shite manager who made the worst signings in our history. But until Holden got injured he'd actually put together a good team playing excellent football - and he did get us to an FA Cup Semi-Final. It went downhill from there and as he didn't have a plan B he was fooked.

But Freedman is a different level of shite. The guy has no positive traits whatsoever. His signings have been shite, his tactics are shite, results have been shite, and worst of all - we are watching the most boring football in my lifetime.

He simply got lucky at Palace and we are now seeing the real Freedman. And unless Gartside steps in he will take us down to League 1.

To paraphrase Fiona Phillips, ie a stupid woman who nobody respects and is a laughing stock amongst her peers:

You utter bell-end, Whittam.

Freedman's shite but Coyle was obviously even shiter.

All Coyle had to do was not get relegated and appear to be only slightly less obnoxious that Megson.

Fuck me, Pol Pot could have achieved that one.........

And he's never even been to Lilleshall and has never heard of a "Pro Licence."

And he's dead, for fuck's sake.

(Pol Pot, not Coyle...obviously.)

Freedman's shit, but it's not totally his fault.

He's just compounded the misery brought on by that track-suit wearing, God-fearing, non-drinking idiot.

(That's two reasons why I never trusted him, right there.)

And I don't mean the track-suit......

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Winning two games at home ''in the championship'' 30 games in , it has to be Freedman.

Playing with one striker up front, not learning from his mistakes, at least coyle would play 4-4-2 and win more games.

Gary Flitcroft would be a better choice at the moment, this fool might even relegate us from the championship.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

For me it's Megson. He was poison to the relationship between club and fans. His mantra "we were below derby when I came in" and the famous "football people know how good a job I'm doing" coupled with taking a team that had qualified for the Europa League the season before he arrived and become relegation fodder the next after he blew more money than any BWFC manager has ever had were all bad enough. But when you add his utter inability to use the talent he had at his disposal, the ugly and one dimensional football he played at every match AND the fact he publicly criticised players and fans it becomes catastrophic. 

It's easy to look back and say "It was ugly but effective 'cos we didd't go down" but does anyone really believe we'd have stayed up in 09/10 had he remained in charge? For all his faults (and there were many) Owen Coyle took us on a wonderful run playing some amazing football. We were eighth in the Prem and in the FA Cup semi-final and for a while there were were in the height of the Big Sam Era once more. Of course it went wrong but it was one hell of a lot of fun while it lasted and going to the Reebok was a genuine pleasure when we were playing Coyle's way. Remember Elmander's goal against Blackpool? I think every member of the team touched the ball at least once and the goal itself was a joy to behold. Barcelona would have been proud of that one. Remember the Everton match when Howard got that freaky goal from a million miles out? We dug in, fought back and won 2-1 playing some really good football along the way. We stuffed Liverpool 3-1, got some revenge on Stoke in the 5-0 and I still say that Coyle had some of the most disastrous luck of any manager we ever had with all those horrific injuries before that last season in the prem even started. His last nineteen prem games garnered 27 points. Had we done that in the first nineteen as well we'd have finished seventh not eighteenth. Of course it's his fault we went down, I don't deny it but to say he was worse than Megson is in my opinion both unfair and inaccurate. 

As to Freedman, well, he's incompetent, one dimensional, arrogant like Megson. He makes press statements that confound us all and seems to contradict himself between one and the next. However, he is right about one thing. These players seem to have become self fulfilling prophecies of failure. They believe they're going to make some silly mistake and lose so they do. We're all pretty much aware that we're going to conceded in the first few minutes of the second half every game. It's gone past irritating, beyond a joke to the point of being so predictable we struggle to really do much more than sigh and shake our heads. He's also up against financial constraints that are nightmarish but it doesn't excuse his failure to motivate and get the best out of what he has week in week out. We had a nice little run in the second half of last season so it's not as if he can say they're not capable of playing decent stuff and I don't accept that Dawson was the sole reason for that run. Nor was Mason or any other loan player. There are eleven men out there, most of those who were involved in the upward charge then are here and involved in the downward slide now. I agree Freedman has to go but he's not our worst since Big Sam. 

But above and beyond the four names in the poll, all of whom failed for one reason or another there should be one more name, the one who sanctioned their appointments and allowed their failures to bring us to the edge of a second relegation in three years. Phil Gartside should be blamed, he IS the worst manager of this club EVER in that he's the one who picked these managers of the team while he mismanaged the rest of the business on a scale that would make Nick Leeson look good and Lehmann Brothers blush. He should be the first person out of the door, Freedman should follow him and many of the current first team squad should be politely invited to ply their trade elsewhere with the toe of a boot strategically placed to assist them on their way.

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
But above and beyond the four names in the poll, all of whom failed for one reason or another there should be one more name, the one who sanctioned their appointments and allowed their failures to bring us to the edge of a second relegation in three years. Phil Gartside should be blamed, he IS the worst manager of this club EVER in that he's the one who picked these managers of the team while he mismanaged the rest of the business on a scale that would make Nick Leeson look good and Lehmann Brothers blush. He should be the first person out of the door, Freedman should follow him and many of the current first team squad should be politely invited to ply their trade elsewhere with the toe of a boot strategically placed to assist them on their way.

This ^  :clap:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum