Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Striker dilemma

+6
scottjames30
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
Bwfc1958
FullofSprite
wanderlust
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Striker dilemma Empty Striker dilemma Mon Aug 24 2015, 13:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wondering if a change of thinking might do the trick?

We've had a "target man" up front all season - Madine and occasionally Heskey or both. They are pretty good at linking play but I don't think either is an out and out finisher (although Heskey has scored >100 Premier League goals)
That made some sort of sense at the time although it did encourage a bit of hoofball from time to time.

Now that we've got Da Silva and Pisano, shouldn't we change the emphasis to take advantage of the improved service?

We obviously can't afford to buy a quality striker, so if look at our own ranks perhaps Lennon should be using to the trickier/pacier strikers on our books?

Dobbie showed them how to do it and Clayton, who has a great scoring record will be back soon. Woolery is still unproven but looked promising and Clough just needs to get a grip.
Surely any two of these would be an improvement?

2Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Mon Aug 24 2015, 20:08

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:Wondering if a change of thinking might do the trick?

We've had a "target man" up front all season - Madine and occasionally Heskey or both. They are pretty good at linking play but I don't think either is an out and out finisher (although Heskey has scored >100 Premier League goals)
That made some sort of sense at the time although it did encourage a bit of hoofball from time to time.

Now that we've got Da Silva and Pisano, shouldn't we change the emphasis to take advantage of the improved service?

We obviously can't afford to buy a quality striker, so if look at our own ranks perhaps Lennon should be using to the trickier/pacier strikers on our books?

Dobbie showed them how to do it and Clayton, who has a great scoring record will be back soon. Woolery is still unproven but looked promising and Clough just needs to get a grip.
Surely any two of these would be an improvement?
You've not mentioned Jamie Thomas

3Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 09:33

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

wanderlust wrote:(although Heskey has scored >100 Premier League goals)
Every time you mention Heskey on this forum Lusty, you feel the need to tell us he's scored over a hundred premier league goals. I'm beginning to think you're his fucking agent or something.

4Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 10:35

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Heskey is just like davo he really isn't in the team for his goals.

5Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 16:29

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Our inability or unwillingness to raise any cash to bring back ALF will be our undoing this season IMO.

Madine is not as good as ALF and Heskey is a waste of salary and a roster spot.  But this is what we are stuck with so hopefully we get enough goals to at least stay up. Already how much as just one lousy goal per game cost us ...Derby & Forest & we won't mention the cup.

6Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 16:59

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Might be a good ideas to not have a big lump up front, and just have a couple of strikers.

7Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 17:33

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kaiyne Woolery and Jamie Thomas deserve a crack at it, they are goal getters. What do we really have to lose?

8Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:02

Bolton Nuts

Admin

just think. If we had brought Alf back we would have won 4 or 5 games up to now based on his usual form for us. THAT IS THE REALITY OF THE DIFFERENCE.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

9Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:04

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boggersbelief wrote:Kaiyne Woolery and Jamie Thomas deserve a crack at it, they are goal getters. What do we really have to lose?

We should probably get a couple of wins under our belt before tossing in the kids.  Then introduce slowly if possible. You don't want unnecessary pressure on the kids.

10Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:25

Biggie wrote:just think. If we had brought Alf back we would have won 4 or 5 games up to now based on his usual form for us. THAT IS THE REALITY OF THE DIFFERENCE.

Just think. If we had signed up Sturridge we'd be top of the league by now.

THAT IS THE REALITY OF THE DIFFERENCE.

11Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bang on about Earnshaw but am only half joking. He may be at the wrong end of his career but he is a goalscorer and will score the tap ins that we haven't been able to convert since Klasnic fooked off.

It really is that simple. We miss too many sitters. Let's get an old head in like Earnshaw or Lita or whoever has a proven goal-poaching instinct.

12Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:36

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I bang on about Earnshaw but am only half joking. He may be at the wrong end of his career but he is a goalscorer and will score the tap ins that we haven't been able to convert since Klasnic fooked off.

It really is that simple. We miss too many sitters. Let's get an old head in like Earnshaw or Lita or whoever has a proven goal-poaching instinct.

Don't mention Klasnic in the same breath as Earnshaw.

13Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Tue Aug 25 2015, 18:55

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glad to see it's not just me that keeps going on about ALF  Very Happy

14Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 14:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I bang on about Earnshaw but am only half joking. He may be at the wrong end of his career but he is a goalscorer and will score the tap ins that we haven't been able to convert since Klasnic fooked off.

Thought I'd never say it but TBH in our current situation, an Earnshaw-type player would be able to do a job and that's what I'm getting at in the thread i.e. dispense with a target man to make room for a finisher and see how it goes now we have a bit of width. Preferably not Earnshaw himself though Smile

15Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 14:46

wanderlust wrote:

Thought I'd never say it but TBH in our current situation, an Earnshaw-type player would be able to do a job and that's what I'm getting at in the thread i.e. dispense with a target man to make room for a finisher and see how it goes now we have a bit of width. Preferably not Earnshaw himself though Smile

A finisher would be great, Earnshaw would not. 

He was never that great a finisher, in a successful team making plenty of chances he'd get a decent return but much like Beckford he missed a lot of chances. 

Good pace and movement at his best which got him into a lot of positions, but not the class finisher we need at the moment.

16Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

A finisher would be great, Earnshaw would not. 

He was never that great a finisher, in a successful team making plenty of chances he'd get a decent return but much like Beckford he missed a lot of chances. 

Good pace and movement at his best which got him into a lot of positions, but not the class finisher we need at the moment.

Ridiculous post. Yes, he scored bags of goals at Championship, PL and international level but he's a crap finisher :facepalm:

Very few players have a better goal per game ratio. And certainly no one we could afford.

17Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:28

Check the stats and come back to me, his premier league and international record aren't great.

He was a decent player Earnshaw but not much better than Beckford for instance, we need better.

18Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Check the stats and come back to me, his premier league and international record aren't great.

He was a decent player Earnshaw but not much better than Beckford for instance, we need better.

He was/is 10 times better than Beckford.

How many Bolton players have scored more than 5 goals in internationals in the last 25 years?

19Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:39

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Check the stats and come back to me, his premier league and international record aren't great.

He was/is 10 times better than Beckford.

How many Bolton players have scored more than 5 goals in internationals in the last 25 years?

That's like one of those spurious stats they put in adverts for shampoo on the telly in dead small writing.

"87% of 13 women surveyed said it was fucking ace."

Means nowt.

20Striker dilemma Empty Re: Striker dilemma Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

"87% of 13 women surveyed said it was fucking ace."

Means nowt.

It means 87% of those 13 women liked the shampoo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum