Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

swearing at football matches...

+5
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
largehat
Reebok_Rebel
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1swearing at football matches... Empty swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 09:40

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18331352

This could kick off a big nationwide campaign of further turning football in to a boring, happy clappers paradise that's even more spoiled than it is now.

My take on this is that football is a passionate game, watched by men (and women of course, but predominately its still more of a 'man' thing) who enjoy a few beers and letting off some steam after a crap week at work. swearing when frustrated or when celebrating a goal is part and parcel of this.

I agree that we have family stands and people, when in these should be more respectful of those around them - the reason for this is becasue they are in a stand for FAMILIES with children...anywhere else in the stadium, fans should not be chastised from expressing themselves! they have already taken terracing and drinking in the stands off us...why do the authorities insist on trying to spoil the experience of going to the match?

I can see this getting implemented in the higher leagues too, not because the authorities will think its 'right' but becasue the (thought) police will see yet ANOTHER opportunity to make a few bob... watch £50 on the spot fines to be brought in for anyone who swears during a match and 'causes distress' to the people around them...even though the people around them dont really give a fuck...

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Wed Jun 06 2012, 09:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : terrible typo!)

2swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 10:40

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't think it would be enforceable in a large crowd at a major game. As it stands, football isn't even at a level where fans can be trusted not to attack each other, away fans are invariably treated like cattle, I don't think the police are that bothered about swearing at games if that's the extent of the misdemeanours.

Having said that, I nearly got chucked out of Burnden for swearing at an Anglo-Italian Cup game against Sunderland in about 1993, but then there were so few people there, I imagine I could be heard quite clearly from some distance.

3swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 13:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I see no reason why anyone would need to spend 90 minutes using bad language just because they're a man and they've had a bad week at work. One of the last times I sat in the pleb seats I remember an argument between an old guy and a ginger guy in his late 30's. The old guy told him to stop swearing, the ginger said it was a free country.

Yes, it is a free country but it's also a free country in lots of other places where you wouldn't dream of using words like "cunt", "fuck" and "twat".

4swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 13:34

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I swear loudly at games and hope to be able to continue to do so.

These days it's usually just 'oh fuck off' aimed at the ref if he is having a bad game, or 'get up you cheating cunt' if the opposition are cheating.

Judging by the time wasting and diving Swansea did at our place last season, liverpool aren't going to be winning many friends this year. I've never seen a British team dominate a football game and yet time waste and dive like that. I shouted 'cheating cunt' quite a lot that afternoon.

5swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 13:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I swear loudly at games and hope to be able to continue to do so.

These days it's usually just 'oh fuck off' aimed at the ref if he is having a bad game, or 'get up you cheating cunt' if the opposition are cheating.

Judging by the time wasting and diving Swansea did at our place last season, liverpool aren't going to be winning many friends this year. I've never seen a British team dominate a football game and yet time waste and dive like that. I shouted 'cheating cunt' quite a lot that afternoon.

Why? Does it make you feel hard?

6swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 13:59

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Why? Does it make you feel hard?

I get emotionally involved in the game.

7swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Poor answer.

8swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:12

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Poor answer.

I can see why you might say that, but it's the truth.

9swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I seem to remember nat saying all "singing" at football matches should be banned.

so i suspect you're on to a loser on this one.

10swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Have you ever been emotionally involved with a woman? If so, did you swear at her all the time?

11swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:43

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Have you ever been emotionally involved with a woman? If so, did you swear at her all the time?

Don't be facetious.

12swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Don't be facetious.

Sorry, it was wrong of me to pressume you've been involved with a woman.

13swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:53

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Don't be facetious.

Sorry, it was wrong of me to pressume you've been involved with a woman.
't

You didn't presume, you asked.

The facetious bit was - well, you know what it was.

14swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 14:55

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I hate people that make a big deal about swearing. Admittedly, it wouldn't have the same calming effect if it wasn't frowned upon, but I don't understand how it offends people. The single reason people do it so much is because it's frowned upon/forbidden and it's therefore a release.

Shouting fuck off at each player to balls something up has kept me sane this season.

15swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:03

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You're right doffcocker. I find swearing a useful medium for venting frustration. I don't know why people go to football matches if they are offended by swearing. They are just harsh-sounding but meaningless words.

This harshness is why we say 'fuck off' instead of 'go away'. It's to do with the sound of the words rather than the semantics. It's the same reason that German is considered a more masculine language than French, because there are so many abrupt and harsh sounding words and phonemes in its lexis.

'Fuck', 'shit', 'cunt', 'twat' are all lovely words for expressing disgust or anger. 'Bugger' and 'bollocks' are in the next tier down because they contain gentler sounds.

16swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:12

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

I've sworn during sex, if it's good and I'm emotional!

Or my hours up..

17swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mallorca Trotter wrote:

Or my hours up..

You can last an hour? PM me your address.

18swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I hate people that make a big deal about swearing.

Said like a proper 20 year old. One day you'll grow up and realise what a silly statement that is.

19swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:30

Mallorca Trotter

Mallorca Trotter
David Lee
David Lee

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Mallorca Trotter wrote:

Or my hours up..

Of course I can. I think of ugly women.

20swearing at football matches... Empty Re: swearing at football matches... Wed Jun 06 2012, 15:35

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Mallorca Trotter wrote:

Or my hours up..

Looking at losing your virginity then nat? Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum