Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Young players

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Young players Empty Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:21

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

How many young players have Bolton successfully brought through their ranks since the turn of the millennium?

I'm not just talking about homegrown players or players from the area, but also players that have been acquired from other clubs at a young age (mid-late teens) who have gone on to make it in some form.

2Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:29

Define some form. Tom eaves will have made it as a succesful sales assistant this time next year.

3Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:40

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

y2johnny wrote:Define some form.  Tom eaves will have made it as a succesful sales assistant this time next year.

Bottom English division upwards, the top two Scottish divisions or any of the top two European countries leagues.

4Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:43

Nolan, Hunt, O'Brien in our first team Basham and Danny Ward at other clubs. Vela, Clough and Holding now. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. A very poor return really, particularly given the level of investment in the academy.

5Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:43

Oh and Vaz Te.

6Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:47

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Wow I've learned something. I didn't know Kevin Nolan had come through your ranks. Thanks for that.

7Young players Empty Re: Young players Mon Jan 11 2016, 22:51

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sorry after reading my last post it does come across as I'm being sarcastic. I'm not, it's genuine and I didn't know.

8Young players Empty Re: Young players Tue Jan 12 2016, 09:57

Moses Gate

David Ngog
David Ngog

How about Joe Riley and Rob Lainton - both now at Bury. You might also be able to make a case for Marco Alonso now at Fiorentina.

9Young players Empty Re: Young players Tue Jan 12 2016, 11:10

Jay Jay Okocha was 17 in Nigerian years when he joined us. Does that count?

10Young players Empty Re: Young players Tue Jan 12 2016, 13:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Blerim Dzemaili is a Swiss International and we sold him to Torino but he now plays for Galatasaray. Did his ACL when he was with us so never got a look in.

There are a host of others who played for us and have moved on to lower leagues - we sold 7 to lower league teams in the past three years - but our own youth programme was set further back by a series of incoming loans of youth players from other clubs in the period you mention e.g. Weiss, Sturridge, Wilshere etc who were contracted to play and minimised the first team opportunities for our own young players. Some of them were crap TBH.

And it's still going on with the likes of Wellington and Prince who really shouldn't be here when we need to blood our U21s and push the U18s to play at a higher level.

Obviously the big four or five clubs get the pick of young players so ours will never be top class but some of them could do a decent job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum