Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gareth Southgate. .....

+8
doffcocker
luckyPeterpiper
scottjames30
Cajunboy
FullofSprite
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Sat Apr 30 2016, 17:51

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:Whilst very few managers are as experienced at working with youngsters as Southgate is, his record at Boro was appalling and even if he was available, I'd be very reticent to employ him.
Not sure Holdsworth would be keen. Doubt it's him

22Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Sat Apr 30 2016, 19:13

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I wonder what will happen to Orville now?

23Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Sat Apr 30 2016, 19:32

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He missed a penalty.

24Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Mon May 02 2016, 23:48

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Not sure about this one if there happens to be anything of substance to it to begin with but in truth I'd lean towards a yes if there was. Southgate did badly at Boro but it's clear he learned a lot from that and a club lower down the leagues with less expectation about it might just be what he needs if he wants back into club management. Toss in he's done a lot of work with younger players recently and Southgate could be a good fit for us. I actually would feel cautiously optimistic if he was offered the job and took it.

25Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 13:28

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Southgate made a right mess of the only club he's ever managed. How much did they pay for that Brazilian striker who scored like five goals for them? About £15m?

Yes, Southgate is just the bloke we need.

26Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 14:45

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:Southgate made a right mess of the only club he's ever managed. How much did they pay for that Brazilian striker who scored like five goals for them? About £15m?

I know he did badly at Boro mate, not disputing that for a moment but I think it might have been a case of starting too high in the football pyramid too early. It was a long time ago now and he's done some damned good work with the England youngsters. Let's face it given whom we have left on the playing side we're going to need someone who's good with 'the kids' if we're going to arrest the slide let alone climb back up the leagues. Of course the very possibility of him even wanting the job is extremely remote but we only have hypothetical situations to talk about right now and for me Southgate would be a promising appointment given our current circumstances.

27Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 14:56

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Southgate made a right mess of the only club he's ever managed. How much did they pay for that Brazilian striker who scored like five goals for them? About £15m?

I know he did badly at Boro mate, not disputing that for a moment but I think it might have been a case of starting too high in the football pyramid too early. It was a long time ago now and he's done some damned good work with the England youngsters. Let's face it given whom we have left on the playing side we're going to need someone who's good with 'the kids' if we're going to arrest the slide let alone climb back up the leagues. Of course the very possibility of him even wanting the job is extremely remote but we only have hypothetical situations to talk about right now and for me Southgate would be a promising appointment given our current circumstances.

I'm not necessarily saying he'd do a shit job for us, but I do think he's helped by the fact that he's a big name.

I mean if he was just some nobody who didn't have 50+ caps for England who's only job in club management was that disastrous, there'd be nobody on here saying "hmmm, I quite like the sound of this guy".

28Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 14:56

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Pearce did quite well with the youngsters too, look at his record at club level.

29Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 15:10

What has Southgate done that's so great with the u21s?

30Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 16:11

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Right now, I'd be happy for any bugger to take it, even the tea lady. All this messing about will erode any confidence the change in management has brought about so far.

31Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 16:57

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Pearce did quite well with the youngsters too, look at his record at club level.
Fair point Martin, especially with City but I think Southgate is somewhat smarter than Pearce and will have learnt some lessons about why things went wrong for him at Boro. I don't say he's a brilliant choice but given some of the names we've heard (Carver for a start) he'd almost certainly be an improvement on them. 

However I suspect this entire conversation is going to prove to be irrelevant. I currently believe we will be told in the next few weeks that either Jimmy Phillips has the job with Peter Reid as DoF or that Reid is assuming direct control and JP is going back to being a coach. I don't think we have the money or pulling power to bring anyone into the Macron from outside as things stand.

32Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 17:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
However I suspect this entire conversation is going to prove to be irrelevant. I currently believe we will be told in the next few weeks that either Jimmy Phillips has the job with Peter Reid as DoF or that Reid is assuming direct control and JP is going back to being a coach. I don't think we have the money or pulling power to bring anyone into the Macron from outside as things stand.

Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Phillips won't be manager, nor will Reid. A new man will be in place once the season is over, it would be stupid to appoint someone now.

There will be a clamour for the Bolton job, especially those out of work.

33Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 17:32

Natasha Whittam wrote:
There will be a clamour for the Bolton job, especially those out of work.

If you make a lie big enough and repeat it often enough......

34Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 17:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

So you're out of work and there's a chance of a job at BWFC....do you apply?

35Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 18:05

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:

So you're out of work and there's a chance of a job at BWFC....do you apply?

Honestly? No, not as things stand. There'll be other jobs available soon at clubs who actually have some money and resources for a manager to use. There's already a lot of talk about the Watford and Everton jobs not to mention the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa, Blackburn Rovers to name but a few becoming available either now or at season's end. 

Even if you stick to L1 and L2 there are likely to be other vacancies that are more attractive to go for. I wish it wasn't so but it is and wishful thinking won't change it. Whether you agree or not is of course up to you but if you expect me of all people to shut up about what I think you're smoking something illegal at least. Smile

36Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 18:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Honestly? No, not as things stand. There'll be other jobs available soon at clubs who actually have some money and resources for a manager to use. There's already a lot of talk about the Watford and Everton jobs not to mention the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa, Blackburn Rovers to name but a few becoming available either now or at season's end. 

:facepalm:

I take it that's a joke post. The sort of manager we will end up with won't be in the mix for any Championship job, never mind a Prem job.

But if you're Billy Davies, Paulo Di Canio or any other long term unemployed manager, a job at BWFC is going to look good.

37Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 18:15

So basically, we can all relax and rest easy because there's a queue of desperate unemployables a mile long to pick from.

Ace...

38Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 18:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:So basically, we can all relax and rest easy because there's a queue of desperate unemployables a mile long to pick from.

Ace...

I didn't say it was ace (although Di Cano would at least be lively), just that Phillips and Reid won't be anywhere near the manager's job.

39Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 18:45

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phillips or Reid shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team, proven failures.

40Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 19:38

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

:facepalm:

I take it that's a joke post. The sort of manager we will end up with won't be in the mix for any Championship job, never mind a Prem job.

But if you're Billy Davies, Paulo Di Canio or any other long term unemployed manager, a job at BWFC is going to look good.
I notice you selectively edited my post to leave out the part where I talk about sticking to L1 and L2 jobs Nat. Could it be because you're typing the sort of drivel which if spoken would come from an orifice that is NOT on your face?

No one will want to take on a job where they are going to have both hands tied behind their back and be blindfolded from the moment they arrive. In fact I suspect this is why the 'announcement' that was supposed to happen weeks ago has been delayed. It's not because there's a plethora of quality candidates as Mr Anderson would like us to believe, it's that no one wanted the job after finding out the true depths of the mess we are in and will continue to be in. 

Not even Di Canio would be crazy enough to come to a club where players aren't allowed to sign on frees when they offer to play for free. I'm sorry but you're just indulging in some seriously wishful thinking if you really believe there's anyone out there clamouring to get the job right now. Maybe if the embargo gets lifted and we can actually do something about reinforcing or altering the squad that will change but given how we're hearing the owners say they need more money than they have now just to maintain the status quo I can't see that happening, at least not soon. 

That's why I think, am in fact sure either JP or Reid will be announced as the 'new' manager within 14 days of the end of the season. If I'm wrong I'll chuck a tenner to the NSPCC. Want to take that on?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum