Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gareth Southgate. .....

+8
doffcocker
luckyPeterpiper
scottjames30
Cajunboy
FullofSprite
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 20:58

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Honestly? No, not as things stand. There'll be other jobs available soon at clubs who actually have some money and resources for a manager to use. There's already a lot of talk about the Watford and Everton jobs not to mention the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa, Blackburn Rovers to name but a few becoming available either now or at season's end. 

:facepalm:

I take it that's a joke post. The sort of manager we will end up with won't be in the mix for any Championship job, never mind a Prem job.

But if you're Billy Davies, Paulo Di Canio or any other long term unemployed manager, a job at BWFC is going to look good.
I notice you selectively edited my post to leave out the part where I talk about sticking to L1 and L2 jobs Nat. Could it be because you're typing the sort of drivel which if spoken would come from an orifice that is NOT on your face?

No one will want to take on a job where they are going to have both hands tied behind their back and be blindfolded from the moment they arrive. In fact I suspect this is why the 'announcement' that was supposed to happen weeks ago has been delayed. It's not because there's a plethora of quality candidates as Mr Anderson would like us to believe, it's that no one wanted the job after finding out the true depths of the mess we are in and will continue to be in. 

Not even Di Canio would be crazy enough to come to a club where players aren't allowed to sign on frees when they offer to play for free. I'm sorry but you're just indulging in some seriously wishful thinking if you really believe there's anyone out there clamouring to get the job right now. Maybe if the embargo gets lifted and we can actually do something about reinforcing or altering the squad that will change but given how we're hearing the owners say they need more money than they have now just to maintain the status quo I can't see that happening, at least not soon. 

That's why I think, am in fact sure either JP or Reid will be announced as the 'new' manager within 14 days of the end of the season. If I'm wrong I'll chuck a tenner to the NSPCC. Want to take that on?
Actually Lennon took that job but without being told any of the above. Phil & Eddie lied thru the teeth ...... so maybe the new regime will lie to the new man also to get him on board. I put nothing past King Eddie even now.

42Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 21:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
No one will want to take on a job where they are going to have both hands tied behind their back and be blindfolded from the moment they arrive.

Sorry, but that's just crap.

If you'd been out of work for a year or two I'm sure you'd take the risk in exchange for a regular pay packet. What's the worst that could happen to a manager who takes the job - does a shit job and gets his contract paid up. Then he can sit on his backside for another year or two until the next job comes his way.

43Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Tue May 03 2016, 22:03

The reality is we're competing with the likes of Sheffield United, Burton, Walsall, Peterborough etc, nowhere near the likes of Watford, Everton or even Leeds as mentioned earlier. 

As such the talent pool we're picking from has adjusted accordingly, we'll still attract plenty of applications, but if you're expecting them to be household names prepare for disappointment.

The point is most clubs in league 1 either have tiny budgets or financial problems, we're the latter (obviously) and you'll find there will still be plenty up for the job regardless, league 1 managers are used to working on tight to non existent budgets and it's still a good opportunity (on the face of it) for an ambitious manager.

44Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Wed May 04 2016, 01:48

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
No one will want to take on a job where they are going to have both hands tied behind their back and be blindfolded from the moment they arrive.

If you'd been out of work for a year or two I'm sure you'd take the risk in exchange for a regular pay packet. What's the worst that could happen to a manager who takes the job - does a shit job and gets his contract paid up. Then he can sit on his backside for another year or two until the next job comes his way.
I have to agree with Nat on this one...  a regular paycheck is better than sitting home.  We need someone who knows League One talent and we can afford.  We also need to get the worthless ponces off the big wages... easier said than done.

45Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Wed May 04 2016, 08:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I have to agree with Nat on this one...  a regular paycheck is better than sitting home.  We need someone who knows League One talent and we can afford.  We also need to get the worthless ponces off the big wages... easier said than done.
Logically, you are right. It makes every sense for some manager with relevant experience to want the job and that's perhaps where the alleged 50 applications came from.

However, the 50 applications were all rejected apart from a handful who rejected BWFC when they had a closer look at the details. Then the BN speculated about managers at other clubs (always good to get a row going that one) and they all rejected BWFC - or pointed out they hadn't been approached.

But still it is logical that there is still someone out there who meets the criteria, hasn't yet been involved in the process and is interested. Anderson mentioned that he received a few more applications late in the day.

That said, there is a manager with >40% win rate who has managed at various levels in the UK and abroad, has briefly managed the England U21s, knows the entire current BWFC squad and has already proven that he can galvanise the players and make obvious improvements to their attitude and performances as demonstrated in our much-improved recent games - which were also noticeable by the number of development players involved.

That manager understands exactly how precarious our financial situation is and has already got his head around the limitations imposed on transfer activity. On top of that, he knows the town, our history, lives locally and has a good relationship with the new owners and staff at the club.

A lot of fans may not like Peter Reid, but with his history, connections and managerial record any other candidate would have to be pretty spectacular to be more qualified.

46Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Thu May 05 2016, 19:04

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:
observer wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Logically, you are right. It makes every sense for some manager with relevant experience to want the job and that's perhaps where the alleged 50 applications came from.

However, the 50 applications were all rejected apart from a handful who rejected BWFC when they had a closer look at the details. Then the BN speculated about managers at other clubs (always good to get a row going that one) and they all rejected BWFC - or pointed out they hadn't been approached.

But still it is logical that there is still someone out there who meets the criteria, hasn't yet been involved in the process and is interested. Anderson mentioned that he received a few more applications late in the day.

That said, there is a manager with >40% win rate who has managed at various levels in the UK and abroad, has briefly managed the England U21s, knows the entire current BWFC squad and has already proven that he can galvanise the players and make obvious improvements to their attitude and performances as demonstrated in our much-improved recent games - which were also noticeable by the number of development players involved.

That manager understands exactly how precarious our financial situation is and has already got his head around the limitations imposed on transfer activity. On top of that, he knows the town, our history, lives locally and has a good relationship with the new owners and staff at the club.

A lot of fans may not like Peter Reid, but with his history, connections and managerial record any other candidate would have to be pretty spectacular to be more qualified.
Downside being his win ratio at his last three league clubs is Leeds 27%, Coventry 32%, and Plymouth 26%. John Sheridan taking over from Reidy (there was another manager before Sheridan) and doing a better job of it.

It could work or it may well be a disaster. However, he will have sorted his tactics out over 600+ games in diverse leagues, unlike his predecessors. So it's a start. Too many appointed to BWFC have had no experience and with our fans lack of patience it's a disaster waiting to happen, for anyone to be appointed who has managed less than 300 games imo.

First question to ask at interview - when do you make substitutions?

Lennon it was always 5 mins before end
Dougie's answer would be "after the opposition manager had made all his substitutions"

(lol)

47Gareth Southgate. ..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Southgate. ..... Thu May 05 2016, 19:44

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

FullofSprite wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
observer wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Downside being his win ratio at his last three league clubs is Leeds 27%, Coventry 32%, and Plymouth 26%. John Sheridan taking over from Reidy (there was another manager before Sheridan) and doing a better job of it.

It could work or it may well be a disaster. However, he will have sorted his tactics out over 600+ games in diverse leagues, unlike his predecessors. So it's a start. Too many appointed to BWFC have had no experience and with our fans lack of patience it's a disaster waiting to happen, for anyone to be appointed who has managed less than 300 games imo.

First question to ask at interview - when do you make substitutions?

Lennon it was always 5 mins before end
Dougie's answer would be "after the opposition manager had made all his substitutions"

(lol)

Second question to ask at interview - when do you bring Heskey on?  Starting 11 or when 10 minutes to go to get us a goal.

Correct answer ....neither of the above ......it's a trick question.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum