Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY and shit

+8
scottjames30
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 20:18

With thw woodchip,  i dont know if it was because there was loads of paint on it, but i found that scraping the top part off dry and then using the steamer for the bottom part was far more effective.  You are easentially stripping each wall or ceiling twice but it is a lot quicker.  But like i said i dont know if this was due to the number of times it has been painted over.

Plus the littles woodchips get EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

i also found that the bottom layer came off without even having to scrape by leaving the steamer on one patch with about half an inch of paper either side then moving it down really slowly.  Once you are about two inches down peel the paper over the top of the steam and keep pulling it as you move the steamer down.  Comes off in big chunks and arm strain Smile

If anyone else has any tips Very Happy

22DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 20:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With the age of woodchip (being not currently in fashion and never should have been!) I am quite surprised if the ceiling underneath it is in sound condition for painting over with emulsion i.e cracks in the plaster work unless you are planning to wallpaper the ceiling again?

23DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Thu Jul 07 2016, 20:38

Every room is being replastered top to bottom Smile

24DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Fri Jul 08 2016, 07:39

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barb Dwyer wrote:Woodchip is the worst thing ever to get off. Did 2 rooms once and it took bloody ages.

If you go to Bulgaria for hols you can wipe your arse with It!
It's a long story but the Andrex there was pretty poor quality.

25DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 09:55

Plasterer who has done two rooms for us already and quoted us a grand for the three downstairs rooms (dining room, living room and hall way) was supposed to start this morning and cried off with a bad knee.  Fooking fuming.  All our other jobs we had organised around this will now have to be put back.  What a bellend.

26DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 10:01

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

See if you can find someone else, there'll be a few quite now because of the holidays

27DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 10:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:quoted us a grand for the three downstairs rooms (dining room, living room and hall way)

Unless you live in a mansion be thankful for his dodgy knees.

£1000 for three rooms? I'm amazed he didn't turn up in a wheelchair if someone is willing to pay him that amount.

28DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 10:48

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Average price that including ceilings, you could probably let some chav to do it for 8 hundred, and he'd probably do a shit job.

29DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 10:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Average price that including ceilings, you could probably let some chav to do it for 8 hundred, and he'd probably do a shit job.

Whittam Hall cost me £750 and a cooked chicken.

30DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 12:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It all depends on the room sizes to be fair.

The 3 quote rule should always apply along with recommendations.

31DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 12:32

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Johnny, don't forget to water down your first coat if you are using emulsion.

I would get some big tubs of Leyland trade matt emulsion if you are doing it all in white as it's cracking paint. Smile

32DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 12:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Plastering price seems reasonable to me. 

Talking about Leyland paints, they do an amazing "off-white" called Bygone Times. Don't be put off by the name - it's a superb colour, easy on the eye and with a bit of warmth compared to some of the stark whites they have. Great in both large and small areas.

33DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 13:33

I paid something like £400 for 3 walls (not rooms) about five years ago and that was the cheapest of 4 quotes, so yet again, Whittam's talking utter poo plop.

34DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 13:37

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Average price that including ceilings, you could probably let some chav to do it for 8 hundred, and he'd probably do a shit job.

Whittam Hall cost me £750 and a cooked chicken.

was it an organic chicken, and was it large and extra tasty

35DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 13:49

Its an old georgian house.  Big rooms and high ceilings.  He wasnt the cheapest or most expensive.  But to let us down on the day is a piss take. Tried asking him when he thinks he will be able to make it and he said it wont be for ages and id be best finding someone else.   Workshy cunt.  Hes on another job where he won't have to graft as much.  He took two full days to do a "box room" becaude he has about 15 fag breaks.  

I'm not having a good day

36DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 13:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Its an old georgian house.  Big rooms and high ceilings.  He wasnt the cheapest or most expensive.  But to let us down on the day is a piss take. Tried asking him when he thinks he will be able to make it and he said it wont be for ages and id be best finding someone else.   Workshy cunt.  Hes on another job where he won't have to graft as much.  He took two full days to do a "box room" becaude he has about 15 fag breaks.  

I'm not having a good day
It's the future.
I'll just go out on a limb here and bet he's English and not Polish or Asian.

37DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 13:58

He is scouse.  Which should have set alarm bells anyway.  

(If there are any on here, before you start moaning, just.....calm down,calm down!!!!)

38DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 14:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sounds like a lucky escape there Johnny!

39DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 14:59

Having the shittest day ever.  A company we have done a load of work for has not paid us.  They have closed the company and set up a new one.  Almost three grand down the drain and 8 days of my life done working for fuck all.  Tomorrow better be a fucking top day after this shitter of one

40DIY and shit - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY and shit Wed Jul 27 2016, 15:46

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Find them Johnny, and put them in the back of your van, take them to an old ( shut down) factory roof and dangle them holding their legs, tell them you want 4K, they normally pay up using this method.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum