Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1966 Did that really happen !!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11966 Did that really happen !! Empty 1966 Did that really happen !! Wed Jul 27 2016, 21:56

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It's the 29th of July 1966 England play West Germany In the world cup final tomorrow. I am 13 years old i have never been to Wembley.

Dads got tickets he's taking me on the train today Friday BUT the tickets are for the 3rd /4th play off tonight. Portugal V Russia i get to see Wembley & Eusabio he scores a penalty and the whole occasion was thrilling  i could hardly sleep.

Tomorrow should be the greatest day in English football especially for a 13 year old footy mad kid but not for this one. Why ?

It's Saturday morning 6 hours before the kick off for the biggest event in English football.

I am waving bye to Mum who put me on a coach trip to Wales with the scouts its been paid for months ago and despite my pleading i was sent away for the week.

at 3.15pm i find a TV shop in Ludlow but no one else was bothered and i had to go, i spent the whole match jumping around a forest listening to a transistor radio.
Gutted doesn't come close. but at least we won.
Anybody else missed a big "un"

21966 Did that really happen !! Empty Re: 1966 Did that really happen !! Thu Jul 28 2016, 14:46

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Can't say as I have. I like the story though.

31966 Did that really happen !! Empty Re: 1966 Did that really happen !! Thu Jul 28 2016, 14:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I was outside with my mates and only knew we had kicked off when my mam shouted from the door that England had scored.

I ran in - not sure what my other friends did though? - and watched the rest of the game on our black and white TV - without any replays and stuff like that which hadn't been invented by then - or least not used on British TV back then.

I remember my heart sank when the Germans equalised in the last minute.

I think the extra time was the first time I'd ever seen in played - I could not recall seeing it ever at Burnden before them - maybe I'm wrong.

I remember everybody in the street afterwards cheering the victory.

Fifty years of hurt from then on though!

1966 Did that really happen !! World-cup-memories_1280x960

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum