Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson has "no worries" over star Clough amid diving claims

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson has leapt to the defence of striker Zach Clough, insisting: “He’s no diver!”

The Wanderers star came in for criticism from Bury boss David Flitcroft, who claimed on Monday night the highly-rated 21-year-old had “thrown himself to the floor” to earn two penalties.

Clough scored twice from the spot to take his personal tally to four goals in three games but the furious after-match reaction from the Shakers camp prompted a retort from Parkinson as he geared up for this weekend’s home clash with Port Vale.

“If you look at us and the games we’ve played, I think we’re one of the most honest teams in this division,” he told The Bolton News.

“Other teams have been throwing themselves on the floor, feigning injury, getting players booked, and my honest opinion is that we’re at the top end of the fair play league at the moment.

“Zach got touched, he went down, and as we all know we were long overdue a penalty award. I don’t have any worries over him.

“He’s a player who runs as quickly with the ball as he does without it and that can be very difficult for defenders to deal with.”

Parkinson's words will no doubt resonnate at his former club Bradford City, who were criticised last month for "theatrics" and "play-acting" during a goalless draw at the Macron.

The Wanderers boss admits the criteria for awarding a penalty this season is becoming a grey area, with referees seemingly being instructed to crack down on any physical contact in the box.

“There have been some debateable penalties given in the last few weeks and I think Bury got one given against them in the Rochdale game, which they must feel really aggrieved about,” Parkinson said.

“So many penalties are given for contact and grabbing at corners – and the two we got the other night are no less, in my view.

“We had that spell where we were going mad at the decisions against us but you have to keep believing. Maybe Bury will get one at Northampton?

“And to be fair, they did a soft one against Wimbledon. I watched that and thought they’d done well to get it because there had been minimal contact.”

Wanderers have no new injury problems ahead of Saturday’s game but left-back Dean Moxey has now returned to training after a groin injury.

Max Clayton continued his recovery for the Under-23s in midweek but Parkinson says he is not yet ready for a first team return.

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just keep your gob shut Parkinson, no good can come from commenting on this.

The first was a dodgy penalty, the second not much better.

Just accept the gifts and move on. And when the opposition gets a dodgy penalty remember the shite you spoke here.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum