Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coyle takes the positives -

+5
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
doffcocker
Angry Dad
jayjay23
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 14:35

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Mr Coyle is already "taking the positives" from games we should be winning but aren't. A saying we all got used to hating last season.

Are the excuses going to carry on this time?

2Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 15:00

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

jayjay23 wrote:Mr Coyle is already "taking the positives" from games we should be winning but aren't. A saying we all got used to hating last season.

Are the excuses going to carry on this time?
Yes they sure are its the only thing he is good at.

3Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 15:32

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's genuinely more important to concentrate on the negatives than the positives.

4Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 15:44

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I wouldn't expect any manager of any football club to ever do anything other than talk about the positives after a football match.

Occasionally managers 'lose it' and criticise the players, these are the managers who lose the dressing room and end up getting sacked.

Nothing to see here, move on, etc.

5Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 15:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I couldn't agree more with LH.

We see these kind of posts every year? I'm not having a go but are people really that stupid?

Any manager worth his pay knows to keep the shit indoors. When it spills out is almost always when things go tits up.

I'm all for a "kick up the arse" maybe once a season, a manager giving a public slamming. But if they did that every week no player would even consider playing for them.

6Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:29

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I think we agreed that Coyle is unlikely to lambaste players when they fall short of what is expected.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

7Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I couldn't agree more with LH.

We see these kind of posts every year? I'm not having a go but are people really that stupid?

Any manager worth his pay knows to keep the shit indoors. When it spills out is almost always when things go tits up.

I'm all for a "kick up the arse" maybe once a season, a manager giving a public slamming. But if they did that every week no player would even consider playing for them.

There's a happy medium somewhere. Slagging the players off every week won't work, but neither will praising them after defeats. I don't understand why Coyle can't just tell the truth, it would actually help his popularity with the fans.

If we play shit, say so. You aren't going to lose your job because you're honest.

8Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's the nuance of language.

I don't know why I'm replying because you know full well why it's done and how it's done.

but if we dont play well he's likely to say so but say

"We didn't play up to our best but..."

"We didn't reach those heights today"

"We gave them to much respect" etc etc.

Instead of saying "we played shit" which is completely and utterly stupid and unrealistic. Whats a shame is that a majority of fans actually take these post match PR exercises so seriously - Some of the tweets you see are just embarrassing.

9Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Instead of saying "we played shit" which is completely and utterly stupid and unrealistic. Whats a shame is that a majority of fans actually take these post match PR exercises so seriously - Some of the tweets you see are just embarrassing.

I don't agree. I know he can't say "we were shit" but he can convey the same message.

I can only speak from personal experience here, but the thing that pisses me off most is you've just seen a shit game with shit players and Coyle comes out and tries to draw positives from it. Sometimes you just want him to agree with you so you know he's going to make sure the players improve for next week.

By coming out and taking positives from a dire performance he gives the impression he can't see what we can see.

10Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:52

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha, you are intelligent enough to know that what a manager says in public probably bears a very tenuous relationship to what he says in private.

Last season for example, Coyle DID eventually completely drop the likes of Robinson, Steinsson, Knight and Jussi after poor performances.

We could argue until the cows come home about the actual decisions and the timing of those decisions etc, but the point is, he didn't slate any of those players in public did he?

11Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We'll never agree on this.

the post match interviews are PR jobs.

what I want to see is Coyle display that he's taken the negatives, so to speak, into the next match, and changed things, learnt from it.

the last thing I want to see is him acting like a prize prick in post match interviews.

12Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Natasha, you are intelligent enough to know that what a manager says in public probably bears a very tenuous relationship to what he says in private.

I know that Largehat, but I am an emotional football fan and I want to see my manager hurting like me. Say what you want about Allardyce and Megson but at least they looked pissed off when we got thrashed.

13Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 16:56

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I know that Largehat, but I am an emotional football fan and I want to see my manager hurting like me. Say what you want about Allardyce and Megson but at least they looked pissed off when we got thrashed.

True.

14Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 17:08

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If I was being paid the best part of £1 million PA, I'd be full of Bull Shit as well!

15Coyle takes the positives -  Empty Re: Coyle takes the positives - Sun Jul 29 2012, 19:20

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

What is the point of these interviews anyway. I think they only came in with the Prem and Sky's involvement.

What OC or any manager has learned from the game should be demonstrated in the next game, i.e. team selection/tactics.

OC comes out with these cliches and then the next game is the same as the one before. So if he does 'take the positives' he forgets them during the week.

I like one of the previous posts. It's the negatives he should be working on.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum