Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit negotiations

+27
Travelodge
Dunkels King
rammywhite
BoltonTillIDie
Angry Dad
scottjames30
Bread2.0
xmiles
Chairmanda
wessy
Cajunboy
Bollotom2014
Bwfc1958
JAH
okocha
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
karlypants
Leeds_Trotter
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
bwfc71
wanderlust
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 50]

631Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 17 2018, 13:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:What, like the EU, you mean ?

So who are these allies that have "come out in support"?
No answer necessary for this one is there ? Just look at the news on the TV

I think you will find that France and Germany are in the EU.
Very astute XM, but they are not offering support as part of the EU, are they ?
In fact it was shown on the TV, that one of the other countries said, (about a week after the event), that it wasn't right that the EU hadn't discussed it at that time.

632Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 17 2018, 14:46

There’s also been plenty on television suggesting Putin sees the Uk as weaker after Brexit. And thus an easier target. 

All speculation of course as we cannot even confirm if the Kremlin was behind the attack. Worthy of consideration though nonetheless.

633Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 17 2018, 15:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:All speculation of course as we cannot even confirm if the Kremlin was behind the attack. Worthy of consideration though nonetheless.
Sure but Russia had the means, the motive and the track record.
As Mayday concluded, if they didn't do it, who did the Russians supply with their nerve agent?

634Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Sat Mar 17 2018, 15:42

I’m sure it was the Russians, but we cannot say categorically either way.

635Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Mon Mar 19 2018, 12:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Provisional Brexit transition arrangements agreed with the EU - but no details given and still a bit of work to do on borders/Gibraltar etc.

636Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Mon Mar 19 2018, 21:50

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:Provisional Brexit transition arrangements agreed with the EU - but no details given and still a bit of work to do on borders/Gibraltar etc.
Lets be honest, its about bloody time something happened. The EU have had such a tight hold on the negotiations, that its only time that has forced them to actually concede something. Having said that, the wagon is still rolling, albeit very slowly.

637Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Thu Mar 22 2018, 12:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hilarious! The new (old style blue) British passports which will be issued after Brexit will be manufactured in France. 

Couldn't make it up  :rofl:

638Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Thu Mar 22 2018, 15:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I assume everyone's aware of the Brexit deal regarding UK fishing waters? 

After his attention-seeking stunt throwing dead fish in the Thames, Nigel Farage gets absolutely rinsed in the EU Parliament for being a member of the Fisheries Committee - and failing to attend any of the meetings - whilst receiving a salary for it.

639Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Thu Mar 22 2018, 20:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I assume everyone's aware of the Brexit deal regarding UK fishing waters? 

After his attention-seeking stunt throwing dead fish in the Thames, Nigel Farage gets absolutely rinsed in the EU Parliament for being a member of the Fisheries Committee - and failing to attend any of the meetings - whilst receiving a salary for it.

Hoisted by his own petard!

640Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 07:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:Hilarious! The new (old style blue) British passports which will be issued after Brexit will be manufactured in France. 

Have a look at the headline on today's Daily Mail for another laugh. Even by their barking mad standards it is a classic! They are outraged that we are not spending £100-200m extra by giving the contract to a British firm.

641Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 08:28

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Hilarious! The new (old style blue) British passports which will be issued after Brexit will be manufactured in France. 

Have a look at the headline on today's Daily Mail for another laugh. Even by their barking mad standards it is a classic! They are outraged that we are not spending £100-200m extra by giving the contract to a British firm.
On the face of it, it does look stupid. Then you look behind the headlines and hear their management say that up to 200 people could lose their jobs. 
What makes me wonder is that the British company is call 'De la Rue'. (does it not also have French connections somewhere down the line, I wonder?)

642Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 08:46

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:

On the face of it, it does look stupid. Then you look behind the headlines and hear their management say that up to 200 people could lose their jobs. 
What makes me wonder is that the British company is call 'De la Rue'. (does it not also have French connections somewhere down the line, I wonder?)
There are going to be a lot more than 200 people losing their jobs because of deals like this. The Government is going to have to cut costs and a lot of deals like this will happen. Isn’t that what was voted for though, the UK being able to make its own decision as to who it deals with ? I wonder how many at that Company voted leave ? I read somewhere this morning that the name of the Company comes from some old Cornish name, which would be ironic being that Cornwall had one of the highest percentages of leave votes in the referendum.

643Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 14:05

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I reckon we're going to see lots of tales like this, purely because our way of living, trade, etc, is so interwoven with that of Europe. Its ironic that the government followed the rules regarding purchases, etc, and the order ends up with a Foreign company. Tells me that the rules themselves aren't in our favour, even with our own companies. so maybe opting out is the better option. (I'm expecting a riposte from XM now

644Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 14:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still laughing at Farage. Razz

645Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 14:38

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:I reckon we're going to see lots of tales like this, purely because our way of living, trade, etc, is so interwoven with that of Europe. Its ironic that the government followed the rules regarding purchases, etc, and the order ends up with a Foreign company. Tells me that the rules themselves aren't in our favour, even with our own companies. so maybe opting out is the better option. (I'm expecting a riposte from XM now

Well I won't disappoint you glos! All that is happening is that the contract is being placed with the cheapest supplier. Nothing odd about that. Surely that is how competition is meant to work.

646Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 16:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apparently the Lords are reviewing the passport contract today, however it will probably take a year or two to define "taking back control" before any decision can be made. 

I'm presuming the contract was issued under OJEU procurement measures which allows firms in any country in the EU to bid for any Government work in any EU country i.e. free trade. Historically, major British firms have made a killing under these regulations, but we're stuck with e.g. French Energy companies as the quid pro quo. Disentangling the international private sector joint ventures and alliances that were painstakingly set up over many years to take advantage of EU procurement law is going to be interesting and opens the door even further for British employers moving to mainland Europe.

647Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 20:06

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

XM, The point I'm making is that we do follow the rules, , and were losing out. I, for one, cannot see the French, or Germans adhering so fastidiously to the rules when it comes to preserving their own key businesses, or reputation. As things are, we will always lose out, because were the 'nice guys' when it comes to rules, and do stupid things like give away the production of the iconic British passport, to a foreign company.

648Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 21:11

The fact is it’s a free market and as such if another country can produce at a lower rate than we can that’s just capitalism. Nothing to do with being ‘the nice guys’, we export to the EU too, it works both ways. Clearly we don’t ‘always lose out’ we’ve flourished as an economy in the EU.

649Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 21:28

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:XM, The point I'm making is that we do follow the rules, , and were losing out. I, for one, cannot see the French, or Germans adhering so fastidiously to the rules when it comes to preserving their own key businesses, or reputation. As things are, we will always lose out, because were the 'nice guys' when it comes to rules, and do stupid things like give away the production of the iconic British passport, to a foreign company.

Perhaps we do follow the rules more closely than other countries but a large element of this perception is caused by the lies of the anti EU press in this country. Remember for example the alleged EU plans to outlaw bent bananas, prawn cocktail crisps, double decker buses, rename Bombay mix, call fish by their latin names, etc, etc. All these and more received extensive coverage in the Sun, Mail and Telegraph.

Of course if we didn't waste money pointlessly changing the colour of our passports we wouldn't be giving the work to a foreign company.

650Brexit negotiations - Page 33 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Mar 23 2018, 21:36

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

On the subject of passports this article is worth reading for factual information:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiqzpypsYPaAhWCPhQKHSW3B2UQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPassports_of_the_European_Union&usg=AOvVaw02VxXsvdcToJj4QUBYwCwB

EU passports are not all the same, not even the same colour! The UK Government voluntarily changed the colour of the passport in 1988 - it was not required to do so by the EU. Only British and Irish passports are not obliged by EU law to contain fingerprint information in their chip.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum