Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Uninspiring Summer Ever?

+4
Numpty 28723
N'Gogba
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 14:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

It's too simplistic a view to say they "did nothing to keep us up". If our squad was filled with players with their genuine quality we would have been nowhere near relegation, you can blame Coyle until the cows come home but Petrov and Mark Davies are good enough to be playing for mid-table PL sides. They were part of the side the season before last that was in the top 8 for practically the whole season. They are excellent technical footballers.

I'm just pointing out that our signings might not be hugely inspiring but most relegated clubs have to buy cheaper versions of their best players, who have walked - exactly like Blackburn are having to do - and we're not in that position. Please can you just take this into consideration when writing off all our new signings?

I haven't written them off, as I have said, Mills and Andrews are better than what we had, and I still think Lonergan will have the no 1 jersey by Christmas.

Two things will dtermine where we finish this season:

1) Midfield creating enough chances
2) Strikers being able to put away easy chances

I don't feel Coyle has addressed either so far.

22Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:04

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I disagree. I take creating and scoring of chances as a given with the attacking players we have at this level.

The priority is at the other end of the pitch. The only threat to a place in the top few spots in the division is our inability to keep clean sheets.

Losing Wheater is a big blow, but arguably Mills is a like-for-like replacement. So far Coyle has Mears, Mills and Lonergan to call on in addition to what we had in the second half of last season. We weren't Wolves last season. Our big problem wasn't scoring goals, it was the lack of clean sheets. That troubles me.

23Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I disagree. I take creating and scoring of chances as a given with the attacking players we have at this level.

The priority is at the other end of the pitch. The only threat to a place in the top few spots in the division is our inability to keep clean sheets.

Losing Wheater is a big blow, but arguably Mills is a like-for-like replacement. So far Coyle has Mears, Mills and Lonergan to call on in addition to what we had in the second half of last season. We weren't Wolves last season. Our big problem wasn't scoring goals, it was the lack of clean sheets. That troubles me.

I disagree. While our defence is far from perfect it will be good enough to keep clean sheets, especially at home.

While I do agree our shit defence was the main reason we went down last season, it was the first half of the season that cost us most when Cahill and Knight were playing.

What cost us towards the end of the season was our inability to put away good chances. Ngog looked scared, Davies is clueless when faced with the goal, Klasnic was rarely on the pitch and Sordell wasn't deemed good enough.

24Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:14

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

3 clean sheets all season - 4-0 at QPR, 5-0 vs Stoke, 0-0 vs Arsenal. I think I have identified the major problem but you're free to suggest the problem was at the other end of the pitch. Not a single 1-0 win in 38 games.

25Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:3 clean sheets all season - 4-0 at QPR, 5-0 vs Stoke, 0-0 vs Arsenal. I think I have identified the major problem but you're free to suggest the problem was at the other end of the pitch. Not a single 1-0 win in 38 games.

If the first half of the season has been identical in goals conceeded as the second half we would have stayed up by two points.

Hand on heart, can you see Ngog or Davies scoring 20 goals next season?

26Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:19

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We scored plenty of goals.

we were on a par with teams well up the table.

Our defense was a shambles.

but i agree there was also a big problem of the midfield being completely passive, there are large parts of games where we forget we have a midfield. Everything is just hammered forward without any forethought...

I want to see at least one midfielder happy to take some responsibility and ask for the ball. Vela showed glimpses, maybe Andrews is that man. Hope so.

27Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:21

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Only one of the promoted clubs had a player who soored 20 goals for them last season, so in all honesty, you're asking me if I think either of them will be the top scorer in the division. My answer is no, but that they won't need to for us to go up. I think they will score something like 25 between them and Sordell will score just under 20 - and that is plenty from the strikers.

28Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Only one of the promoted clubs had a player who soored 20 goals for them last season, so in all honesty, you're asking me if I think either of them will be the top scorer in the division. My answer is no, but that they won't need to for us to go up. I think they will score something like 25 between them and Sordell will score just under 20 - and that is plenty from the strikers.

You think Sordell will play? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Ngog & Davies for at least the first few months.

I hope you are right though.

29Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Fri Aug 03 2012, 15:51

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:Only one of the promoted clubs had a player who soored 20 goals for them last season, so in all honesty, you're asking me if I think either of them will be the top scorer in the division. My answer is no, but that they won't need to for us to go up. I think they will score something like 25 between them and Sordell will score just under 20 - and that is plenty from the strikers.

You think Sordell will play? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Ngog & Davies for at least the first few months.

I hope you are right though.

You probably noticed that in all the "why didn't Sordell play?" discussions that went on for months last season/thie Summer, my explanation never wavered. I said I would have liked to have seen more of him, but he was signed as a replacement for Klasnic. He was available earlier than this Summer at the right price, so we bought him earlier.

Sordell is an important part of Coyle's plans and I expect him to start more than half of all the games he is available for. So if he has an injury free season, I expect he will start 25 games+, and he will also contribute from the bench as an impact sub.

30Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Sat Aug 04 2012, 11:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

You probably noticed that in all the "why didn't Sordell play?" discussions that went on for months last season/thie Summer, my explanation never wavered. I said I would have liked to have seen more of him, but he was signed as a replacement for Klasnic. He was available earlier than this Summer at the right price, so we bought him earlier.

I don't believe for one minute the club let Coyle spend £4m on a player for the future when their PL place was hanging by a thread.

31Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Sat Aug 04 2012, 11:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I don't believe for one minute the club let Coyle spend £4m on a player for the future when their PL place was hanging by a thread.

Why not? He raised that money through the sale of Cahill. He's always been allowed to spend money he has raised through player sales. I can't believe you'd think we would sell Cahill and then not sign other players to try and stay up. If that had happened you and all the other moaning sods would have been up in arms at Gartside and the board for just acquiescing to relegation with half the season left.

32Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Sat Aug 04 2012, 12:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Why not? He raised that money through the sale of Cahill. He's always been allowed to spend money he has raised through player sales. I can't believe you'd think we would sell Cahill and then not sign other players to try and stay up.

I can't believe a club with such a small budget would spend £4m on the future when they were close to relegation. Surely they would spend £4m on a proven player to help them stay up there and then?

Is it not more likely he panic bought him and then realised he was crap?

33Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Sat Aug 04 2012, 12:49

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I can't believe a club with such a small budget would spend £4m on the future when they were close to relegation. Surely they would spend £4m on a proven player to help them stay up there and then?

Just to be clear, I'm not defending the decision to buy Sordell and not play him, I'm explaining what I think the rationale was at the time.

We should definitely have signed a central midfielder in that window instead of or as well as Sordell.

Clearly though, it was thought that we could stay up, and lets face it, it was a very close thing, just as Coyle always said it would be.

I don't know why the club authorising 3M for an England U-21 striker surprises you, they authorised 5M for Zat Knight and 3.5M for Gretar Steinsson. We got Sordell for a good price and could get our money back in full tomorrow and he's played 40-odd minutes of first team football in 7 months. It was also a good investment.

34Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Uninspiring Summer Ever? Sun Aug 05 2012, 17:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Why not? He raised that money through the sale of Cahill. He's always been allowed to spend money he has raised through player sales. I can't believe you'd think we would sell Cahill and then not sign other players to try and stay up.

Apart from this summer, most of Coyle's signings have been "for the future". Risky strategy - one that got us relegated - but the future quickly becomes the present and we can only hope that the young uns step up this season and do a job. If they don't play and/or we struggle, we will lose them anyway so it's getting towards shit or bust time again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum