Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What was the moment.

+10
observer
finlaymcdanger
rammywhite
DEANO82
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
xmiles
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 9:18

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Norpig wrote:For me it was the Holden injury, people tend to forget Uncle Owen was doing a decent job until that point. Then Holden was out and we had other injuries and then THAT semi-final. We never recovered from that spell and Coyle had no plan B the following season when things started to go wrong
Feel really bad for Holden. He had a great career ahead of him.

And the bloke who did him is still making a fortune playing- and that makes it even worse. I hate him as much as I hate that Welsh cheat,Savage

22What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 11:00

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:
karlypants wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:Of course there is no ‘moment’ that defines it ALL going wrong but...Megson. Hull. 2-2. I have never recovered.
Remember going to this game when we were 2 up. Shocked
A very poor ref decision cost us the game as I recall.

I remember Megson's interview after the game too. Total distain for the fans.

"That's what you get ere" when asked about the boos. He was a total wanker but the decision to hire Sammy Lee was much much worse than the one to hire Megson for me

23What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 11:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
observer wrote:
karlypants wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:Of course there is no ‘moment’ that defines it ALL going wrong but...Megson. Hull. 2-2. I have never recovered.
Remember going to this game when we were 2 up. Shocked
A very poor ref decision cost us the game as I recall.

I remember Megson's interview after the game too. Total distain for the fans.

"That's what you get ere" when asked about the boos. He was a total wanker but the decision to hire Sammy Lee was much much worse than the one to hire Megson for me

He had a pop against the fans when we lost a 2 goal lead against BBurn as well which ended up a draw.

He really is a cock.

24What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 11:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote: the decision to hire Sammy Lee was much much worse than the one to hire Megson for me

Obviously the Lee period wasn't great, but I don't remember any major unrest when the appointment was made.

We were quite successful back then, and clubs are always looking for continuity, so the Sammy Lee appointment made sense.

25What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 11:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Davies and Nolan went to gartside after Sammy Lee dropped campo. Think this was about 2 games into his reign.

They should have actually taken the time to look for a proper established manager at that time considering we were a top 10 premier league team with big name players.

Lee was a terrible terrible appointment

26What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 11:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:When the penny dropped that although Allardyce had done wonderfully well with his innovative idea of rescuing old quality players whose careers where on the slide, for one last hurrah in the Premier League, that the plan of paying massive wages to players at the end of their careers (and thus with no resale value) was completely financially unsustainable and would require a massive (and costly) rebuild of the squad.

Sam was smart enough to get out at the top but whoever had to follow him - Lee/Megson/Coyle - had to rebuild at short notice - and for players in their prime (in order to step into first team places) - which are expensive in terms of both transfer fees and/or wages paid!

I guess in retrospect the blame should be laid at Phil Gartside's door, as there doesn't seem to have been any planning ahead for what to do when the likes of Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Stelios, Campo, etc, had to hang up their boots.

It might be a harsh assessment from me but clearly the wheels came off not because Allardyce left but because we could no longer sustain the financial requirement to replace the quality of players that left for free around that time or thereabouts and also by that time we were starting to run up pretty big debts.

We lived the dream under Sam, I guess - and been paying for it ever since!

I broadly agree with this and would add that I'm pretty sure PG was responsible for - and knew about - the financial overspend and that we also had some pretty bad luck along the way, not just injuries but getting relegated by the narrowest of margins. I'll never gorget Tim Ream coming in for a header at the death away at Stoke and somehow not getting the goal that would have kept us up.
We always seem to lose out by very narrow margins which is why I am concerned this season because if it comes down to the last game, it will be us that loses out if history has anything to do with it.

27What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 12:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Lee was a terrible terrible appointment

You didn't think so at the time:

Le God wrote:The Lee appointment makes sense, albeit totally underwhelming

28What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 13:22

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was a drug user at that time.

29What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Wed 18 Apr - 20:56

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I was a drug user at that time.

That explains a lot.

30What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Thu 19 Apr - 22:48

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I always thought that once Sam left we would spiral down and be relegated at some point, however it didn't really happen we survived under various managers for a few seasons, so for me it was the Stoke semi at that point we were doing well in the premiership and was favorites to win and go on to the FA Cup final.

That defeat and the actual team selection and the way they played at Wembley started the rot on the field. Whilst by that time the financial situation off the field was already out of control.

31What was the moment. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was the moment. Fri 20 Apr - 0:33

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Would we have been able to survive in the more modern Prem, even if we filled the stadium every game? Having a look at Accy Stan's stadium I feel we have a great setup, but is it financially sustainable, or would a move to a new stadium be needed?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum