Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Board Games.

+5
xmiles
okocha
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
boltonbonce
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Board Games. Empty Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 11:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just been reading about the apparent resurgence of board games.
It's seems many people are steering away from the computer screen, and are once again playing traditional board games face to face.
I tend to stick to the old favourites, like chess, Monopoly, Cluedo. There used to be a great football game called Soccerama, and I might have a look on ebay to see if it's still available.
Do any of you lot still enjoy a family board game? Are there any new ones we should know about?
Card games are still popular too, although UNO drives me mad.

2Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 11:36

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 11:37

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like monopoly (guaranteed to cause arguments when I was a kid). Scrabble is good too

4Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 12:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

5Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 12:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always love playing the usual ones such as Monopoly, Scrabble and The Game of Life.

Uno is enjoyable too.

6Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 12:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scrabble is a great one. The trick is knowing your three letter words.

7Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 12:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Scrabble is a great one. The trick is knowing your three letter words.

Two letter words round the edges when you are trying to use up the tiles you have left and trying to get the triple and double bonuses using words like za. Very Happy

8Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 13:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Scrabble is a great one. The trick is knowing your three letter words.

Two letter words round the edges when you are trying to use up the tiles you have left and trying to get the triple and double bonuses using words like za. Very Happy
Two letter words drive me mad. Some of them are pushing the limits. 

Anyone still play Ludo? My dad insisted we threw a six before we could start.
We also had a great horse racing games called Totopoly. No wonder I'm a gambler.

9Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 16:08

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

For all you Scrabble fans, here's a surprisingly good, quirky film with the game at its centre:-

Review:  "Anyone who’s played it knows that Scrabble can make or break a family. And in the case of director Carl Hunter’s Sometimes Always Never, it somehow manages to do both.

After Alan’s (Bill Nighy) son Michael walks out in the midst of a Scrabble-related argument, never to be seen again, Alan and his youngest son Peter (Sam Riley) must team up to identify a body and subsequently survive the tsunami of emotions that tend to accompany loaded familial dynamics. Fortunately, Hunter uses the story of a Scrabble-obsessed man – who believes the game can locate his lost child – as a vehicle for humour, terrific onscreen chemistry, and warm, believable performances by the likes of Nighy, Riley and Jenny Agutter...."

10Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 16:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:

Anyone still play Ludo?

I do recall playing the MB Games brand Frustration.

I think it's a rip-off of Ludo?

I remember the board game had the dice in a clear dome that you pressed to roll the dice.

I used to love whacking it with the palm of my hand to hear the satisfying noice it made. Very Happy

11Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 16:37

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Board Games. 51nxZnz4R3L._AC_

12Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 17:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:For all you Scrabble fans, here's a surprisingly good, quirky film with the game at its centre:-

Review:  "Anyone who’s played it knows that Scrabble can make or break a family. And in the case of director Carl Hunter’s Sometimes Always Never, it somehow manages to do both.

After Alan’s (Bill Nighy) son Michael walks out in the midst of a Scrabble-related argument, never to be seen again, Alan and his youngest son Peter (Sam Riley) must team up to identify a body and subsequently survive the tsunami of emotions that tend to accompany loaded familial dynamics. Fortunately, Hunter uses the story of a Scrabble-obsessed man – who believes the game can locate his lost child – as a vehicle for humour, terrific onscreen chemistry, and warm, believable performances by the likes of Nighy, Riley and Jenny Agutter...."
Never heard of this film, but I'll take a look. Sounds interesting. Anyone remember the Steptoe and Son episode which began with them having a game. The board is typical of the dirty old man. Very Happy
The whole episode is brilliant.

13Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 19:56

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4729896/awards (for Apostasy)

As an added bonus beyond its excellence as a film, Apostasy also has a practical value in that it happens to show us how to avoid an unwelcome doorstep encounter with a JW. Just say that you used to be one of their clan but got disfellowshipped by the "elders". They are then not allowed to talk to you and you can't see them for dust! A very enlightening film, particularly about their attitudes to blood transfusions....and to others outside their faith, even ones in their own family!

14Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sat Oct 05 2019, 23:21

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:Just been reading about the apparent resurgence of board games.
It's seems many people are steering away from the computer screen, and are once again playing traditional board games face to face.
I tend to stick to the old favourites, like chess, Monopoly, Cluedo. There used to be a great football game called Soccerama, and I might have a look on ebay to see if it's still available.
Do any of you lot still enjoy a family board game? Are there any new ones we should know about?
Card games are still popular too, although UNO drives me mad.

Yes I like playing board games occasionally, both the old favourites and newer games like Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, 7 Wonders and Pandemic.

15Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sun Oct 06 2019, 11:50

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

16Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Sun Oct 06 2019, 12:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

17Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Mon Oct 07 2019, 08:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Monopoly is boring and takes too long, also no one knows the correct rules and everyone plays it slightly differently  Very Happy

Used to have frustration years ago and played cluedo and scrabble, but the best was mousetrap.

The kids now get me playing trivial pursuit as it has both adult and kids questions in the family edition

18Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Mon Oct 07 2019, 10:36

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Every Christmas Day without fail, once the Christmas Dinner has finished, and everything is cleared away, my lot play Monopoly. It usually goes on for hours, accompanied by far too much drink. Its no longer a surprise to see how competitive everyone is, but its also a a really good laugh for all. I stay out of it as I keep an eye on the kids, and become the taxi when, or if, the drunken bums go home.
Everyone has a good time, but I thank God its only once a year  Very Happy

19Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Mon Sep 27 2021, 11:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My brother was asking this morning if I still had our Battle Of The Little Big Horn game. Sadly, I haven't, and, to be honest, I was never really into it. The dog kept running off with the combatants.
Anyone remember it? Probably be considered racist now.
Board Games. A37db13359f5cb846cf7f536809fd1aa

20Board Games. Empty Re: Board Games. Mon Sep 27 2021, 12:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:My brother was asking this morning if I still had our Battle Of The Little Big Horn game. Sadly, I haven't, and, to be honest, I was never really into it. The dog kept running off with the combatants.
Anyone remember it? Probably be considered racist now.
Board Games. A37db13359f5cb846cf7f536809fd1aa

Yes, I had one.

Preferred playing Z-Cars myself.

Board Games. Pic148172

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum