Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - the political argument

+13
observer
Sluffy
gloswhite
Ten Bobsworth
BoltonTillIDie
okocha
wessy
Cajunboy
xmiles
karlypants
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 31]

441Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 12:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:Your whole argument depends upon one fallacy. You state that "The reason why I believe it can is because there is no known cure for Covid-19 and that gives you a constant - not a variable - in order to work to." If this were true it would mean that as soon as you caught the virus the outcome - whether you lived or died - was predetermined regardless of any medical intervention. This is simply not true. Whilst there is no cure medical intervention (oxygen, ventilation, etc) can and does make a difference to the outcome otherwise what is the point of providing any medical support.

In addition you conveniently overlook the deaths that will result from underfunded NHS resources being diverted away from operations and other procedures to deal with the virus. Not all the excess deaths are directly due to the corona virus.

Finally please don't patronise me and tell me that "you again failed to read all I wrote on my original post".

I've already answered your first point namely there's always been sufficient nurses, doctors and equipment to provide whatever required support has been needed during the virus - therefore it is irrelevant if the government underfunded the NHS in the previous decade or not, as far as additional Covid deaths occurring are concerned in this particular respect.

As for your second point it is my understanding that hospitals are still open (and have never shut) for business - indeed the NHS is encouraging those in need of treatment to come to the hospital and have no fear of infection to Covid there.

I do understand that many routine treatments have been cancelled as a precaution to protect the 'vulnerable' as in the same manner of the over seventies being in a 12 week lockdown in the community.

I have no doubt that anybody needing lifesaving treatment from the NHS will still receive it/have received it as normal for however long the virus is out there.

442Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 12:05

Sluffy wrote:
T.R.O.Y. wrote:Does 'demonstrable' mean 'additional deaths' in Slough?

Topic - underfunding of the NHS by the government.

Premise - This had led to additional deaths as proof of the underfunding

Demonstrable - Via cuts PPE stockpiles

Conclusion - Underfunding of the NHS has led to additional deaths and the proof can be demonstrated by the lack of sufficient PPE stockpiles for them (and compounded by governments ongoing failure to resolve the shortages thereafter).

I know you don't read my posts but by Christ I always thought you read your own!

Clearly not.

Why are you trying to tell me the topic of my own post? I know the point i was making, you've misinterpreted it and you're now trying to blame me for that.

Instead of trying to argue black's white, maybe show some humility, admit you've made a mistake and move on.

443Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 12:07

Sluffy wrote:

Oh hello, has somebody forgotten to log out of one account before posting in another?

Sorry, are you now suggesting that Xmiles and I are the same person?

444Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 12:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Oh hello, has somebody forgotten to log out of one account before posting in another?

Sorry, are you now suggesting that Xmiles and I are the same person?

No one ever knows for certain who anyone ever is on an anonymous internet forum do they?

:bomb:

445Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 12:22

Ha interesting. Normally when you realise you’re in the wrong you fallback to ‘WUM’, this time it’s fake accounts - we’ve been promoted.

And actually you claim to have each user’s IP address on record so you probably do know.

446Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 13:03

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:
xmiles wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
T.R.O.Y. wrote:Sluffy - I've re read your post a few times this morning. Still no idea what you're getting at. My original point around the NHS was that additional deaths cannot be the only metric determining whether the health service was as prepared as it could or should have been. 

Not getting dragged into your other point, I'm well aware you were talking about hospital deaths. My point was I thought you were suggesting those metrics were only for NHS workers - hence I clarified with 'country as a whole' - maybe i should have also included 'hospital deaths for the country as a whole' but didn't realise we'd got to that level of pedantry.

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Wait, think I've cracked it.

I haven't said anywhere lack of PPE has caused excess deaths in the NHS - not possible for me to know that (or you).

But a lack of PPE is more likely to lead to a healthcare worker being infected, meaning they can't come to work for at least 2 weeks - putting extra strain on the service and negatively impacting their response.

How can you possibly be arguing against that? And why do you think you know better than the experts on this?

I've read your posts as saying extra deaths have been caused by the government because they underfunded the NHS and did not have sufficient stocks of PPE in the years leading up to the outbreak of Coronavirus.  You've been consistent on that point for many weeks now.

T.R.O.Y. wrote:The NHS has stood up well - the government and NHS deserve massive credit for increasing capacity so quickly. Does it need to get to additional deaths to prove that the NHS wasn't as prepared as it should/could have been with proper funding? Don't think so personally, but it's more hypothetical at that point and will need a proper investigation.

I do think cuts to social care and PPE stockpiling have had a demonstrable effect though, as has the governments failure to resolve the PPE shortages. This is a clear failing.

Are we in agreement about that?

If so how and where have these extra deaths manifested themselves from if the government had sufficiently funded the NHS and had sufficient PPE for everyone?  Can this question can even be quantified?

Well I believe it can.

The reason why I believe it can is because there is no known cure for Covid-19 and that gives you a constant - not a variable - in order to work to.

Therefore we can examine the effect of this decade of underfunding and insufficient PPE's you state have caused the extra deaths to those who have died.

First we look at what extra funding would have resulted in to the NHS and apply them to how they would have saved more lives than if they had not as is the present case.

Funding would have allowed more recruitment of doctors and nurses - but as there is no known cure for Covid-19, a million more doctors and nurses would not have been able to save even a single life than what has occurred because the virus is killing irrespective of the care (the best care in the world even) that they can give them.  All any doctor or nurse can do is to be with them when they unfortunately die sadly.

So that wouldn't have helped the situation even if the government hadn't had cut a single penny from NHS budgets over the proceeding ten years.

Similarly no amount of beds, equipment or drugs being purchased for the NHS would have helped either because existing beds and equipment have not been swamped by need (although it was thought it might - hence the Nightingale Hospitals that have not been used) and that being there is no existing cure for Covid-19 then no amount of extra drug procurement would have saved a single extra life from it than what has occurred either.

The last element of PPE is a little less black and white on this issue but an answer can be found in the hospital stats and the fact the virus clearly targets those who are aged 60 and over (in fact I've read other stats where there is even a finer margin than that which shows the acceleration point of the virus to be from 64 and over age group - but let us leave it with our own published NHS stats to work to, to make everything consistent throughout).

Not only does the virus disproportionally kill more in the age group 60 and over (92% of all hospital deaths) but if you dig down further into the stats it shows that nearly all who have died have underlying conditions (for instance for the age groups 59 and under (8% of all hospital deaths, just 1 in 8 DIDN'T have any underlying conditions and in rough figures accounted for just 250 deaths recorded.

So back to the question of NHS PPE inadequacy and did it lead to extra deaths?

As it would be clearly a requirement of the NHS's legal responsibility as an employer to protect its vulnerable employees, then it would be highly unlikely (though not impossible) to believe that only employees with no underlying health conditions would be on the front line fighting the virus, thus the ones requiring PPE would be in the category of being 59 year old or less with no underlying age condition.

As we have seen there have only been 250 deaths in this category in the whole country - and so it is safe to assume that not all of these would be the doctors and nurses fighting Covid-19 in less than adequate PPE protection.

So yes it is possible that some extra deaths may have occurred due to insufficient PPE kit at the onset of the virus and procurement thereafter - being 250 maximum but much less than that in reality.

So to return to your original premise 'extra deaths have been caused by the government because they underfunded the NHS and did not have sufficient stocks of PPE in the years leading up to the outbreak of Coronavirus', I believe that to be a false assertion/assumption from you and proved it so, with the proviso that sadly a handful of deaths may have resulted from inadequate PPE provision.

As for your additional point "a lack of PPE is more likely to lead to a healthcare worker being infected, meaning they can't come to work for at least 2 weeks - putting extra strain on the service and negatively impacting their response", then yes that is obviously fair comment but as we have seen above with doctors and nurses, they could not have any influence on the death rate as there is no known cure for Covid-19.

Your whole argument depends upon one fallacy. You state that "The reason why I believe it can is because there is no known cure for Covid-19 and that gives you a constant - not a variable - in order to work to." If this were true it would mean that as soon as you caught the virus the outcome - whether you lived or died - was predetermined regardless of any medical intervention. This is simply not true. Whilst there is no cure medical intervention (oxygen, ventilation, etc) can and does make a difference to the outcome otherwise what is the point of providing any medical support.

In addition you conveniently overlook the deaths that will result from underfunded NHS resources being diverted away from operations and other procedures to deal with the virus. Not all the excess deaths are directly due to the corona virus.

Finally please don't patronise me and tell me that "you again failed to read all I wrote on my original post".

WTF?

447Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 13:04

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:
xmiles wrote:Your whole argument depends upon one fallacy. You state that "The reason why I believe it can is because there is no known cure for Covid-19 and that gives you a constant - not a variable - in order to work to." If this were true it would mean that as soon as you caught the virus the outcome - whether you lived or died - was predetermined regardless of any medical intervention. This is simply not true. Whilst there is no cure medical intervention (oxygen, ventilation, etc) can and does make a difference to the outcome otherwise what is the point of providing any medical support.

I've already answered your first point namely there's always been sufficient nurses, doctors and equipment to provide whatever required support has been needed during the virus - therefore it is irrelevant if the government underfunded the NHS in the previous decade or not, as far as additional Covid deaths occurring are concerned in this particular respect.

As for your second point it is my understanding that hospitals are still open (and have never shut) for business - indeed the NHS is encouraging those in need of treatment to come to the hospital and have no fear of infection to Covid there.

I do understand that many routine treatments have been cancelled as a precaution to protect the 'vulnerable' as in the same manner of the over seventies being in a 12 week lockdown in the community.

I have no doubt that anybody needing lifesaving treatment from the NHS will still receive it/have received it as normal for however long the virus is out there.

And you accuse other people of not reading your posts? Rolling Eyes

448Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 13:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Conclusion - Underfunding of the NHS has led to additional deaths and the proof can be demonstrated by the lack of sufficient PPE stockpiles for them (and compounded by governments ongoing failure to resolve the shortages thereafter).

I know you don't read my posts but by Christ I always thought you read your own!

Clearly not.

Why are you trying to tell me the topic of my own post? I know the point i was making, you've misinterpreted it and you're now trying to blame me for that.

Instead of trying to argue black's white, maybe show some humility, admit you've made a mistake and move on.

Show some humility???

It's an internet forum full of Wums and fake accounts!

I don't mind playing, it helps pass the day at times and gives us all a laugh every now and again too.

Fair enough people holding any views they want - I don't think it is unreasonable to give proffer differing points of view either - isn't that what a forum is about anyway?

If somebody's point of view is backed up with research and facts, then I suggest they are probably more nearer the mark than someone who just has a gut feeling, or is led by what they read on Facebook and Twitter perhaps.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter who is right or wrong - it's just words on the internet and you, me or anyone else on here can't go out and change the world to make it better - otherwise we'd be out doing it and not messing about on here.

If you don't want to be wrong on the internet, then why should I be bothered - all I do is to read up on stuff I probably have been reading up on anyway because I have an interest in it and outside of Nuts in the real world.

In fact I'm at a stage in my life where this thing could actually kill me if I got it.

I'm however not obsessed about it and don't intend to live my life in fear, I'm just more interested in what's going on and why.

You've been banging on about the government from your belief and perspective, I've tried to answer/refute some of what you say based a little bit of actual experience of working at a senior level in the public sector for some years and an interest and having time to do a little bit of research and look at the numbers behind the headlines.

If you want to disregard everything I say then fine, I would have read the background documents anyway but would have wasted my time writing my posts out (unless others had gained something from them perhaps?) but as I've nothing else much to do at the moment it passes my time if nothing else.

I certain don't need to justify or prove myself to anyone - nor they to me - on here.  You don't know me, I don't know you.  And I'm happy for it to stay that way - although if we ever by chance bumped into each other in a pub one day I'd be more than happy to buy you (or anyone else on here), a pint just to show I don't take this stuff seriously.

Fwiw, of course I would love the government (any government) to fund the NHS sufficiently to meet demand - at my age and health, I certainly am probably going to need it a great deal more these days.

I can't blame them (or any government) not being prepared for the magnitude of the pandemic.  In a perfect world they would have been but we don't live in a perfect world and from 1665 we'd had only one other world wide pandemic, so the chances were we probably had sufficient stocks for normal emergency need - but this one was simply to big.

The virus is such though that it really isn't a killer to most who are in good health and under 64 - but has taken a toll on those of who are not - so luckily/ironically/fortunately/call it what you will - although the government has been pilloried for all sorts, it really doesn't seem that any underfunding/lack of PPE has really been causal to many additional deaths at all.  The big error was the delay in lockdown (caused from the flawed data from China) and not enforcing it strictly enough.

This caused the spike in hospital admission with the result that care homes (where I think we will find the bulk of the deaths will eventually be) were left to hang until they could be eventually sorted out too.

Bigger things are happening than squabbles on here.

Being right or wrong on here pales into insignificance really then - it's really just something to be doing until football - or rather BWFC - is back again and it looks odds on to me that that won't be happening until this virus is under control - and that won't be anytime soon unfortunately.

Keep safe everyone!

449Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 13:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Ha interesting. Normally when you realise you’re in the wrong you fallback to ‘WUM’, this time it’s fake accounts - we’ve been promoted.

And actually you claim to have each user’s IP address on record so you probably do know.

Nah, people use VPN's to hide behind - I don't blame them really there are some real nutjobs out there that do take things far too seriously and escalate things in to real life!

Wum's/fake accounts - same difference - still somebody posting in a manner other than what they genuinely would be saying all the time.

As for me being wrong - I guess it will happen one day!

Very Happy

450Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 13:26

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:
T.R.O.Y. wrote:Ha interesting. Normally when you realise you’re in the wrong you fallback to ‘WUM’, this time it’s fake accounts - we’ve been promoted.

Nah, people use VPN's to hide behind - I don't blame them really there are some real nutjobs out there that do take things far too seriously and escalate things in to real life!

Wum's/fake accounts - same difference - still somebody posting in a manner other than what they genuinely would be saying all the time.

Very Happy

I can assure you that TROY and I are entirely different people and that my only knowledge of TROY is what he posts on this forum.

No offence taken. Smile

451Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 14:23

Sluffy wrote:
T.R.O.Y. wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Clearly not.

Show some humility???

Yes, rather than rattling on trying to blame me for you misreading a post just admit a mistake and move on, so we can get back on topic.

452Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 14:24

xmiles wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Very Happy

I can assure you that TROY and I are entirely different people and that my only knowledge of TROY is what he posts on this forum.

No offence taken. Smile

A massive compliment for you X nonetheless.

453Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 14:26

Anyway - back on topic. PMQs today:

Boris worryingly unaware of his government's policy on this.

454Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 14:38

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"Only 27 of the 120 pieces of evidence reviewed by Sage over the course of more than 20 meetings up to mid-April have been published, and one of the documents released was heavily redacted."   BBC website

455Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 14:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
T.R.O.Y. wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Clearly not.

Show some humility???

Yes, rather than rattling on trying to blame me for you misreading a post just admit a mistake and move on, so we can get back on topic.

Well I tried to move on but it seems you wouldn't let me.

I didn't misunderstand your post, it's clear to all what you meant.

It does come as somewhat unexpected I guess that despite all the fuss and condemnation - and yes I wouldn't want to face Covid-19 unprotected either - that as long as you are 60 or under and in full health your chances are remotely small in dying from this even in short of full PPE.

Even knowing that I still would not want to take the chance myself (even if I was younger and fitter) so I do salute those that are doing each and every day.

If you can't face up to being wrong about the effects of the underfunding/lack of PPE not actually being such a key issue as you and many, many others thought it was, then that's your problem.

Maybe/undoubtedly the government got very lucky on this one but the information is clearly there to be seen by all - indeed you doffed your hat to me the other day when I first pointed it out!

Seems I was the one willing to move on but you weren't.

The ball's back in your court if you want to continue to drag it on our not.

456Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 15:08

Invent what you like, it's in black and white on the thread what I've said. You're on another planet if you believe the tripe you've written here.

457Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 15:10

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Can we please get back to Brexit!

We need some light relief.

459Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 15:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cajunboy wrote:Can we please get back to Brexit!

We need some light relief.

Wish we could as I've no interest in that thread although there are one or two who frequently posted on there who also couldn't lose face when they'd been caught out after digging themselves such a big hole without checking the facts first!

Still it's the internet, can't be shown to be wrong on there can they!

Razz

460Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 23 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Wed May 13 2020, 16:14

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 31]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum