Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gordon Sharrock interview by Iles AUDIO

+2
wanderlust
Sluffy
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A hour an half interview from Sharrock covering everything from Ian Greaves to Megson and from Phil Neal and the boo boys to Allardyce's ambition of playing in the Champions League.

Interesting stuff and certain to get a response from Bob once he can manage to drag himself away from Dale Vince's autobiography!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Definitely requires a lot of willpower to press through what is a cracking interview with the local voice of the Wanderers for so many years, but nonetheless some great gossip from the bowels of our lifetimes. He rabbits on at times but Gordon has his fans.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:A hour an half interview from Sharrock covering everything from Ian Greaves to Megson and from Phil Neal and the boo boys to Allardyce's ambition of playing in the Champions League.

Interesting stuff and certain to get a response from Bob once he can manage to drag himself away from Dale Vince's autobiography!

Tell me, Sluffy, if I invested 90 minutes in listening to Messrs Shorrock and Iles would I have a better grasp of where all the jaw-dropping nonsense came from in the first instance?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sharrock was a yes man for the club, but that did give him access to pretty much everything that was going on - but by his own admission, there were certain things that he was asked not to disclose and he complied in order to maintain his level of access.
Iles hasn't had that kind of relationship with the club.
The interview is a nostalgic trip down memory lane though.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Sluffy wrote:A hour an half interview from Sharrock covering everything from Ian Greaves to Megson and from Phil Neal and the boo boys to Allardyce's ambition of playing in the Champions League.

Tell me, Sluffy, if I invested 90 minutes in listening to Messrs Shorrock and Iles would I have a better grasp of where all the jaw-dropping nonsense came from in the first instance?

Just depends on your mindset when you listen to it or not I guess.

I've always been one who likes to hear both sides of the story and I've never heard Sharrock's before but maybe you have and more than what he says on here.

In the interview Sharrock seems to say a split between the club and the paper happened over the sacking of Charlie Wright as manager.

Apparently the Chairman at the time Neil Riley believed Sharrock had done an hatchet job on him/the club and consequently instructed the new manager Phil Neal to keep Sharrock at arms length.

Sharrock got wind of this and apparently had a stand up argument with Riley.

This is now 35 years ago, so if that was the start of the 'feud' it's been going on for ages and I guess both sides have long since dug in over their positions.

Sharrock did say early on in his interview that the paper considers BWFC as the prime story in Bolton and drives its sales - I assume that still is the case, certainly is with me.

As far as I'm concerned it's the man that maketh the job and as such Iles has been in the job long enough to have changed the culture/feud/whatever it was existed between the two, by his behaviour and his professionalism over the years and he hasn't as can clearly been evidenced of how Eddie Davies, Phil Gartside, Ken Anderson and now FV have all been 'cold' towards him and Iles unprofessional and clearly biased behaviour with his support of those in direct conflict with the club owners such as the ST, being Team Holdsworth (v Anderson) and being the conduit for Wheater and the unofficial strike, etc.

I guess if Iles (or Sharrock) had anything about them and been good at their jobs they wouldn't have remained at the paper for the decades they have - indeed I posted an article up the other day about how the new Editor of the paper had started off as Iles tea boy and he'd gone up from the very bottom to the top in the organisation whilst Iles remained stuck in the same job.  Iles isn't even a Bolton fan, nor even from the north, so don't tell me he wouldn't have wanted to be paid loads more for the nationals writing about the top Premiership clubs and Europe rather than wasting his life away tweeting about how wonderful our utterly not fit for purpose ST is!

Up to you if you want to listen to the interview or not, I wouldn't recommended it generally unless you have an interest in such things - and even then some like your good self may have heard it all before or may well even be already better informed about most of the things discussed anyway.

I think Wanderlust's three line review above sums it up fairly adequately.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree with you, Sluffy, that its always best to hear both sides of any story but do I really want to spend my time listening to these two when there are a hundred and one better things to do with what remains of my life on Earth?

Shorrock and Gartside couldn't abide each other in the end but I don't know why or how this animosity arose or why it was so virulent. They were both at Leigh Grammar School around the same time. I understand Shorrock was a Rag and Garty a 100% Wanderer but was that where the animosity started or was there something later? I don't really know.

But the nonsense plainly didn't start with Iles. He carried it on, without a doubt, but it had all kicked off before Iles arrived on the scene.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:I agree with you, Sluffy, that its always best to hear both sides of any story but do I really want to spend my time listening to these two when there are a hundred and one better things to do with what remains of my life on Earth?

Shorrock and Gartside couldn't abide each other in the end but I don't know why or how this animosity arose or why it was so virulent. They were both at Leigh Grammar School around the same time. I understand Shorrock was a Rag and Garty a 100% Wanderer but was that where the animosity started or was there something later? I don't really know.

But the nonsense plainly didn't start with Iles. He carried it on, without a doubt, but it had all kicked off before Iles arrived on the scene.

Yes you are certainly correct on this as Sharrock himself openly admits to on the interview - although he claims he did become 100% Wanderers from his time reporting on the club.

Bonnar who I guess bridged the gap from Sharrock to Iles is a City fan and Iles comes from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, so I guess we've never had a true Wanderers reporter since the late Frank Booth.

I grew up reading Frank's reports and although there may be a bit of sentiment accordingly, I've never felt anyone from the paper has matched him since.

I think journalism has been 'dumbed down' over the years, I don't even think the national broadsheets are as good as they once were. I tend to think they've fallen foul of a change in behaviour as more people seek 'instant' news from sources such as on-line news on their phones or even off social media 'gossip' rather than sparing the time to have a good and well researched read from a paper. I guess they've been left behind by this social change in the same way the high street has become left behind with on-line shopping.

Pity really I always enjoyed a good read of the papers and I honestly now can't even remember the last time I bought a newspaper for myself to read, it's that many years ago now.

Times change and we must move on I guess.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I think Wanderlust's three line review above sums it up fairly adequately.
Gracious of you to say so. 
Less graciously I'd imagine, may i say that it would be great if you were a little more "pithy" yourself as IMHO your diatribes would be a lot more readable and I have to admit I don't always finish them as you tend to go off on one. Don't take this personally - I believe others have suggested something similar - but as you know you are very wordy. Just don't drown the point you are making in verbage as it detracts.
Fair enough on one level i.e. if you enjoy writing a lot of words/it's therapeutic that's fine by me. You make some interesting points - I'm just asking please don't hide them in a miasma of extrapolation.
BTW I know I write mischievous shit from time to time but never with malicious intent - just chatting and having a laugh with nice people. And there are obviously some very nice people who frequent these pages.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Thanks for the unwarranted critique but I don't write to please you or anyone else.

If you don't like my style then don't read my posts, simple as that.

Plenty don't, that's their choice.

I don't write for those people who want everything explained to them in 140 characters or less and if it is more, then they won't bother reading it, I write to show why and on what evidence, I have come to the reasons why I have posted what I have.  

That takes far more than a couple of sentences.

I could of course just post random shit based on no facts whatsoever or simply my personal bias or prejudices but we already have social media for that, so I much prefer to be more accurate and researched on what I say and often more closer to the truth of things than most who don't put any thought in to what they post, often because they can't be arsed reading more than a sentence or two before they lose interest and wander off to see what the latest QAnon story is or whatever - it's on the internet so it must be true...

Gary Player the golfer was once called 'lucky' as he kept making so many good shots to which he replied 'the more I practice, the luckier I get', meaning it was the hard work nobody sees that made him good, and not just what you believe it to be superficially.

Similarly it isn't pure luck that I seem to post things that more often or not turn out to be correct, even when almost everyone else disagreed with me at the time.  I get more things right simply because I only make statements on subjects I know about and even then I will research and do my 'homework' before I post them.

I always show my research for anyone who wishes to check or question my reasoning.

I don't claim to be infallible but as Gary Player would say, the more I've researched, the more accurate I tend to be about the end result.

If you don't think I'm just some random up my own arse internet nutjob and you do think I have something worth reading, then you will simply have to follow my reasoning (or diatribes if you choose to take them that way) and await the points I bring out based on the links to substantiate them.

If you can't be arsed to read to the end, or think I've 'gone off on one', then that's your prerogative but it may also mean you've prejudged the point I was about to make - and sometimes it isn't always what you may think it would be.

At the end of the day it is only the internet, I post about what I'm interested about myself and I research things because I want to understand them better.  I'm happy to share this knowledge with others who might also find them of some interest.  If they don't so what, if they do then someone else gets the benefit of my interest and research too, isn't that what forums and having mutual interests is about anyway - or used to be?

Certainly on here it seems more to start off from a prejudice standpoint and belligerently and abusively dismiss anyone who has a different opinion - you being a prime example of this.

I don't find years of being verbally abused by you as 'having a laugh' with you nor being made out that I have mental issues just 'having a chat' with some 'nice' person who frequencies these pages.

Fortunately I don't tend to be bothered about name calling or people who clearly can't admit they got something wrong - life's to short to be worry about that.

So I won't be changing my style simply to please you just because I've write a lot of words and your attention span (like many others) doesn't last beyond reading more than just a few sentences!

Have a nice day.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Pleonasm!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Against [empiricism], which halts at [observable] phenomena—‘There are only facts’—I would say, no, facts is precisely what there is not, only interpretations. We cannot establish any fact ‘in itself’: perhaps it is folly to want to do such a thing.

‘Everything is subjective [for example, a figment of your reasoning mind],’ you say; but even this is interpretation. The ‘subject’ is not something given, it is something added and invented … [Is] it necessary to posit an interpreter behind the interpretation?

Frederich Nietzsche.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Pleonasm!
Word of the day. Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard that word before, everyday's a school day   Very Happy

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

When I said 'I don't really know', Sluffy, its not because I thought for one moment that much could be put down to the youthful allegiances of Shorrock and Gartside. There were  significant events that were wrongly reported and others that were never reported and it all resulted in a false sense of the realities BWFC faced after Colin Todd's  side was unfortunately relegated after one season in the Premiership with the same number of points that Sam Allardyce's side would escape the same fate a few years later.

Did Shorrock mention any of this or explain what he thought had really happened?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Pleonasm!

Sluffy wrote:Thanks for the unwarranted critique but I don't write to please you or anyone else.

If you don't like my style then don't read my posts, simple as that.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Against [empiricism], which halts at [observable] phenomena—‘There are only facts’—I would say, no, facts is precisely what there is not, only interpretations. We cannot establish any fact ‘in itself’: perhaps it is folly to want to do such a thing.

‘Everything is subjective [for example, a figment of your reasoning mind],’ you say; but even this is interpretation. The ‘subject’ is not something given, it is something added and invented … [Is] it necessary to posit an interpreter behind the interpretation?

Frederich Nietzsche.

“Man does not strive for happiness; only the Englishman does that”.

Frederich Nietzsche

If you've not already I would recommend reading 'I am Dynamite' by Sue Prideaux. Not only is it about Nietzsche life - he went mad at just 44 years old don't you know) but also how his sister manipulated his unpublished work to drive Nazi propaganda with it, but best of all, it's got loads and loads and loads of words in it, 450 pages of them.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Re post 15:- It's certainly warranted. I think you mean "unwelcome". So, who do you write for?

Whatever, it's had the desired effect in terms of brevity, but not in terms of repetition of words, phrases and ideas that have been expressed many, many times previously (even in such a happily short contribution)

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:When I said 'I don't really know', Sluffy, its not because I thought for one moment that much could be put down to the youthful allegiances of Shorrock and Gartside. There were  significant events that were wrongly reported and others that were never reported and it all resulted in a false sense of the realities BWFC faced after Colin Todd's  side was unfortunately relegated after one season in the Premiership with the same number of points that Sam Allardyce's side would escape the same fate a few years later.

Did Shorrock mention any of this or explain what he thought had really happened?

I don't recall him saying anything about it specifically but if you listen around the 25 minute mark, Sharrock talked about how the Gartside regime tried to keep him from doing his job, namely in his (and most everybody else's belief) that ALL that goes should be made known to the fans, whilst in the real world companies of which BWFC Ltd is one, simply don't run that way because it would be financial suicide to them if they did!

He also talked about Allardyce's ambition to take us into the Champions League when we were third in the Premier League in January but (the club) Gartside didn't meet his ambition and would not bring in more signings at that time and there was friction between the two - listen around the 31 minute mark.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Re post 15:- It's certainly warranted. I think you mean "unwelcome". So, who do you write for?

Whatever, it's had the desired effect in terms of brevity, but not in terms of repetition of words, phrases and ideas that have been expressed many, many times previously (even in such a happily short contribution)

Listen mate I'm not here to answer to you or anyone else.

It's not the first time you've started to make things personal or to bring my family into things.

I'm just a random anonymous poster on the internet, if you don't like what I post or my persona then fine, I don't care much for your fakery on here but I don't question your need to do it.

If you think I write too many words, then that's just to bad for you.

If I want to repeat myself I will.

I'll do anything I want to inside the rules of the forum, no matter what anybody thinks of me but I draw the line of things becoming focused on me as a person.

Think of me as a cunt/mentalist/psychopath or whatever you want that's fine by me but I'm not going to lay myself open for amateur psychoanalysis on an internet forum for your amusement/trolling.

Let's nip this in the bud now.

Fair warning.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

“Man does not strive for happiness; only the Englishman does that”.

Frederich Nietzsche

If you've not already I would recommend reading 'I am Dynamite' by Sue Prideaux.  Not only is it about Nietzsche life - he went mad at just 44 years old don't you know) but also how his sister manipulated his unpublished work to drive Nazi propaganda with it, but best of all, it's got loads and loads and loads of words in it, 450 pages of them.

Good player though. Bit rough.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum