Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is going to an away game like a trip back to the 80's?

+2
BoltonTillIDie
y2johnny
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

With everything that happened at Morecambe at weekend, I've read a lot about Bolton fans that are basically there to get pissed and cause trouble.

Now, I know morecambe fans have been saying LOADS, but I've also seen a lot from our own fans as well saying there seems to be a large group of younger fans causing trouble every week. 

Does anyone go away and what's your experience?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love the atmosphere, much better than home games. I’ve never witnessed fans throwing missiles or running onto the pitch.  But the games I go to are few. 
I think the away day logic is visit the area, have a few Bevvies before hand. Some drink too much, and then go and support the team you love.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's been 3 years since I last went to an away game but it's a sad fact that we've always had our fair share of dickheads following the team. Whether or not dickhead behaviour is on the rise I couldn't say, but I did look like missiles were thrown at their goalie on the telly shortly before Evatt kicked off.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I guess it depends on why you go to a game really.

Some go simply for the football, some go looking for trouble and some just want a day out with the lads.

Just the same in my time going back to the 1960's.

I never went looking for trouble but I found myself caught up in it on more than a few occasions and had to use my fists more than once.

All that died down following the introduction of crowd segregations, fencing, all seater stadiums and all ticket matches.

I wouldn't expect to end up fighting these days simply going to and from the match but clearly there are more than a few who are more than happy to get off their heads on drinks and drugs - look at the storming of Wembley by the louts last year for instance.

I think there was more of an 'edge' going to games back in the day when it had more of wild west feel to it and it somehow made it seem that bit more exciting and dangerous but there now seems to me to be more stupidity about these days because why would you want to start any trouble when there are CCTV  cameras everywhere and everybody and their dog are filming everything that happens on their mobiles?

I think idiots are idiots whether they were around in the 80's or they are around now.

The trick is just to avoid them all the best you can.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not been to an away game for a few years but even at home games i've noticed a lot of young lads looking for trouble. Getting the train back to Manchester after games can be a real pain with all these so-called little hardmen acting like pricks.

Nice to see you back by the way Johnny  Very Happy

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Not necessarily recently but:- was attacked by a gang at Man City as we left the ground; was struck in the face by a lout who I had confronted because he had thrown a cup of hot tea into the air which landed on my wife; was in a queue to get in to Old T. when a guy a few yards in front got stabbed; was at Atletico Madrid when some ultras famously attacked us with stones, bottles and fists, but the worst violence against us came from the Spanish police with their batons as we tried to run from the missiles! The worst I've seen from Bolton fans has been drunken yobbery and foul language but no real violence.
Was at White Hart Lane when Muamba went down frighteningly:-fans on both sides came together to act with absolute dignity and genuine concern. Many near to us wept.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum