Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ripped Off By Charity Shop

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sat Jan 07 2023, 19:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I read a lot of books so I can continue being the most intelligent person you know. I'm not paying £5 for a few pieces of paper so I buy them from charity shops for 50p or so.

Today I bought 4 from a well known animal charity shop. There were several signs up saying that books were 50p each, and even the books themselves had "50p" written on the spines.

So I picked up 4 expecting to pay £2. I get to the counter and the woman behind the till asks for £4. Now, if this had been any other shop that wasn't a charity shop I'd have been over that counter to remonstrate with the lady and ask for an apology written in blood.

However, this was a charity shop and with people behind me in the queue I didn't want to appear cheap or argumentative so I handed over £4 and went on my way.

But now I'm pissed off. I was ripped off. Should a charity shop get away with it just because it's for a good cause? What would you have done?

2Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sat Jan 07 2023, 20:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I read a lot of books so I can continue being the most intelligent person you know. I'm not paying £5 for a few pieces of paper so I buy them from charity shops for 50p or so.

Today I bought 4 from a well known animal charity shop. There were several signs up saying that books were 50p each, and even the books themselves had "50p" written on the spines.

So I picked up 4 expecting to pay £2. I get to the counter and the woman behind the till asks for £4. Now, if this had been any other shop that wasn't a charity shop I'd have been over that counter to remonstrate with the lady and ask for an apology written in blood.

However, this was a charity shop and with people behind me in the queue I didn't want to appear cheap or argumentative so I handed over £4 and went on my way.

But now I'm pissed off. I was ripped off. Should a charity shop get away with it just because it's for a good cause? What would you have done?
I'd have mentioned that 4X50p equals £2, but would have paid the four so as not to look cheap. Then I'd saunter out with a look of disdain, and go back the next day to donate a bin bag full of slippers.

3Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 09:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is it really a charity when the CEO of RSPCA receives £140,000pa?

4Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 11:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Is it really a charity when the CEO of RSPCA receives £140,000pa?

Who cares about that, I'm £2 down.

5Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 12:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Who cares about that, I'm £2 down.
Go in again tomorrow and nick four. Stick them down the back of your knickers.

You'd probably get a full set of Agatha Christie down there, so four would be a doddle.

6Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 12:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ripped Off By Charity Shop Ad_218140602

7Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 12:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shocked

8Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

If the charity shop is anything like the ones near me, they employ volunteers who seem to be a bit on the 'slow' side, if you catch my drift (not intending to be disrespectful to them at all, merely saying it as it is).

I think if you are claiming benefits and do voluntary work, the government views it as 'being unavailable for work' during those 'shifts' and it effects their benefits they receive (or it used to be something like that) so the charity shops rely on retired folk or those who are basically 'care in the community' types. The care in the community types often being more clued in than most of the pensioners there!

They all mean well - and it is good for them to feel valued - but it does mean a degree of understanding and patience is required when you want some help and/or waiting to pay.

I'm sure you (and Bonce) would both soon become valued members of staff if you volunteered some of your free time to your local branch's!

9Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Ripped Off By Charity Shop Ad_218140602

You massive titwipe, it's illegal to place cameras in my living room without my permission.

10Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Go in again tomorrow and nick four. Stick them down the back of your knickers.

You'd probably get a full set of Agatha Christie down there, so four would be a doddle.

I wear thongs you bitch.

11Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I'm sure you (and Bonce) would both soon become valued members of staff if you volunteered some of your free time to your local branch's!

Bonce isn't allowed out in public.

12Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Bonce isn't allowed out in public.
That used to me true, but since the pockets on my mac were sewn up I'm allowed some leeway.

13Ripped Off By Charity Shop Empty Re: Ripped Off By Charity Shop Sun Jan 08 2023, 22:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I wear thongs you bitch.
Any string you wore would have to be made out of anchor rope. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum