Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Zac Ashworth signs on years loan with option to make it permanent.

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers have secured their sixth signing of the summer transfer window with a season-long loan deal for West Bromwich Albion defender Zac Ashworth.

The Whites also have the option to make the signing permanent during the duration of the loan as they continue to strengthen ahead of the 2023/24 season.

Ashworth progressed through the Albion academy from the age of six to become a professional at the Hawthorns and make a senior debut for the Baggies in January, 2022.

The aggressive left-sided defender featured for Albion in the Championship, FA Cup and League Cup – as well as helping the club’s U21 side win the 2022 Premier League Cup – before joining Burton Albion on loan in January of this year.

Ashworth – who has been capped at U21 level by Wales – made 18 appearances in League One for the Brewers as he played a key role in helping Burton climb away from 23rd place when he joined to secure a 15th-place finish.

His 16 starts included one against Wanderers when the sides drew 1-1 at the Pirelli Stadium in April and his arrival adds to the defensive options and depth in Ian Evatt’s squad following the injury to George Johnston which will keep him out for the season.

“We are working hard to strengthen the squad and Zac is another excellent addition,” said Wanderers’ boss Evatt.

“Unfortunately losing George, we needed to bring in someone capable of playing that role – and potentially others on the left side – and Zac fits the bill.

“He is a quality, young player who has played in the Championship and last season gained valuable experience in League One as an important part of Burton’s team.

“He is here initially on loan but that could become permanent which would keep him with us long-term and give us another talented young player I’m looking forward to working with.”

Ashworth – the son of current Newcastle United Sporting Director and former FA Director of Elite Development Dan Ashworth – trained with Wanderers for the first time on Thursday ahead of the Whites’ final three pre-season games.

His arrival follows the summer signings of Dan Nlundulu, Josh Dacres-Cogley, Will Forrester, Nathan Baxter and Joel Coleman and is likely to be followed by more as Wanderers look to remain pro-active in the transfer market ahead of the new League One season.

JUST FOR INFO - if you click on the 'play' sign on the tweet below it takes you to the new Wanderers site that you need to have registered with HOWEVER if you click on the 'tweet' rather than the play arrow, it takes you to the Twitter site where you can play the tweet without having to have registered to Wanderers new site.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Zac Ashworth is excited to “take a risk” by leaving his boyhood club West Brom to join Wanderers’ promotion challenge.

The versatile 20-year-old has signed a season-long loan deal with the Whites with a view to a permanent move next summer.

Ashworth had been with the Baggies from the age of 10 and still has two years to run on his contract at the Championship club.

But his desire to play regular football and build on the encouraging few months he spent with Burton last season has led him to accept Wanderers’ offer this summer.

“It could have been a comfortable option to stay there but I’m excited to take a risk and join another massive club and I can’t wait to get started,” he said.

“When I was a little boy I grew up supporting West Brom and I always have. West Brom will always be close to my heart but this is a new chapter for me, I’m excited to be here and I can’t wait to get into the season and help push on.

“I’m still only 20 so I have a lot of improving to do. I’ve got no doubt I can get better and better here, especially under the manager who really impressed me in the time I spoke to him.

“I’ve got a lot of learning to do and improvements to make but I think this is the best place I could be to do that.”

Ashworth turned heads last season when he spent four months on loan at Burton Albion, playing a major role in the Brewers’ push for safety.

He came up against Wanderers in a 1-1 draw at the Pirelli Stadium in April and says his time with Burton has whet his appetite for more.

“I think it was crucial. Every young player has to experience that first loan and I really enjoyed my time there,” he told the club.

“I did well and the team did well. To gain that experience hopefully made me a better player and now I’m excited to try and push on to the other side of the table and, hopefully, be part of a team pushing for promotion.

“I had to learn quickly. It was straight in at the deep end. To pick up as many points as we did was a great achievement and I’m hoping to use that sort of experience and knowledge and that taste of League One to push on and be better.

“I remember thinking Bolton were probably one of the best teams I played against in the second half of the season.

“The fans sold out the away end on a Tuesday night and thinking back to that game makes me even more excited to get started and experience the same but as a Bolton player.

“It’s such an honour to join this club and a club that, in my opinion, is a bigger club than League One, so hopefully I can be part of the squad to push the club and the fans back to where they want to be.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WBA fans not happy with the option to buy so they must rate him. We have enough defenders now surely? Would like to see a strong defensive midfielder come in next and another attacking midfielder.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Another defender.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Seems like a bright intelligent lad.

HOPE HE DOES WELL FOR HIMSELF and the TEAM

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just stumbled on the following...

Manchester United are apparently after Newcastle's Sporting Director, Dan Ashworth who is highly regarded in his field - so much so that there appears to be a 'transfer fee' of in excess of £10m for United to pay for him - Ashworth just being put on two years 'gardening leave' by Newcastle -

Seems Zac (who won Sky's, January League One goal of the month) is his son.

A video here of Zac talking about him.

Not Earth shattering news I know but I guess it is a useful bit of footballing networking for Football Ventures/BWFC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum