Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hobbit Looks rubbish!

+2
bwfc71
jayjay23
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 03:28

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

My girlfriend excitedly rewound live tv yesterday to force eed me the new Hobbit trailer. She looked at m with anticipation, she was expecting me to be impressed and hoping I would be as desperate as her to see it! But I shrugged it off and said it looks pretty rubbish.

It looks fake. Or real. Which is it?

Almost every scene looks like a movie set or as if it's a stage/theater show that has been filmed. So, to really get into it as a film it looks too fake. Or you could say it looks so real that it makes it obvious that it is a film anyone get me?

I was pretty underwhelmed. I felt like I was watching a bit of a silly trailer with sill actors playing around on really obvious fake sets. Awful. I hope it gets slated if deserved and not bummed by the types who will claim to like it no matter what!

2The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 03:36

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Better to watch it big. See if yo get what I mean. Every scene change I find that my mind is not immersed (say the way when you are watching batman you feel like you are watching a real batman in a real city) - my brain just says to itself "oh look a man in a costume"... "oh another man in a silly wig"... "look at those computer graphics"... "it looks like toystory"..."oh that's a nice set, I wonder who built that?"

I can't go through a whole film feeling as though it is all on set.

3The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:10

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

To be fair how can they make 3 films out of a book which isn't even the size of what Lord of the Rings was. If anything it will be filled with a load of crap just to make the running time up.

4The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:53

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

not into these "fantasy" films.

"oh it's diddly dum a rumtpy tumpty from sprachy pond and his fair wench"

5The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:not into these "fantasy" films.

I bet you enjoyed White Men Can't Jump.

6The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:not into these "fantasy" films.

I bet you enjoyed White Men Can't Jump.

Yeah it was alright.

7The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Yeah it was alright.

That was fantasy.

8The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I for one am looking forward to it. The Hobbit was a book, and a story, in its own right, and was the precursor to the Lord of the Rings books. I think the analogy between Batman and the Hobbit is a bit weak. We know the Hobbit is fantasy, yet you can believe in Batman, and I'm assuming the streets of Gotham were all real, with no sets. Last time I looked New Zealand was real. OK, whatever Very Happy Stories like the Hobbit are far more detailed in characters, plots, etc, but I would suggest you read the book, its not too bad, although knowing the background, I'd prefer the film. Its a lot more entertaining. JJ, don't be a miserable sod, take the missus to the pictures !

9The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Yeah it was alright.

That was fantasy.

no it wasn't it was a drama/comedy.

I'm talking about the "fantasy" genre as you well know.

10The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes only did about 50% of the action shots. Therefore 50% of it was fantasy.

11The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lord of the Rings was boring. A kids story that didn't fit well with an adult audience. The Hobbit will be more of the same. I preferred Willow.

12The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 13:04

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes only did about 50% of the action shots. Therefore 50% of it was fantasy.

I'm talking about the "fantasy" genre, as you know.

13The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 14:48

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

gloswhite wrote:I for one am looking forward to it. The Hobbit was a book, and a story, in its own right, and was the precursor to the Lord of the Rings books. I think the analogy between Batman and the Hobbit is a bit weak. We know the Hobbit is fantasy, yet you can believe in Batman, and I'm assuming the streets of Gotham were all real, with no sets. Last time I looked New Zealand was real. OK, whatever Very Happy Stories like the Hobbit are far more detailed in characters, plots, etc, but I would suggest you read the book, its not too bad, although knowing the background, I'd prefer the film. Its a lot more entertaining. JJ, don't be a miserable sod, take the missus to the pictures !

Ok, when watching Harry Potter all the sets look like they are real places - not things built for a tv program.

I have had a google and found out a possible reason why it looks bad... it was filmed at double the frame rate to a regular film - so the detail is higher (double) and it exposes everything for what it is... so scenery and mountains etc look stunning... but for close ups and people in costumes it is so realistic that it becomes hard to believe in. A critic who likes the look said "it feels like you are right there on the set with the actors"... but to me that describes the problem perfectly, "set" and "actors".

14The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Empty Re: The Hobbit Looks rubbish! Sun Dec 02 2012, 15:02

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When I saw the title of this post I thought it was a reference to Spearings performance yesterday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum