Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie's remarks following miserable draw today

+6
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
jayjay23
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
observer
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

"The players showed tremendous effort throughout that performance and that was the most pleasing thing for me.

"If I have any criticisms we were a bit wasteful and our decision making wasn't good enough.

"I think when the goal went against us made us up the tempo and I felt in the second half we gave everything we had."

I think the poor decision making was not starting Sordell. And it wasn't "our" rather "yours."

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Dougie Freedman praised his side’s commitment and effort as Wanderers battled back to claim a point against Millwall at the Reebok Stadium.

Andy Keogh gave the visitors the lead after nine minutes from the penalty spot, but Keith Andrews levelled the scores in similar circumstances on 34 minutes after Chung-Yong Lee had been upended by ex-Wanderers Danny Shittu inside the area.

Speaking in his post-match press conference Freedman said: “The lads showed tremendous effort and determination and that was very pleasing.

“It was a disappointing start and we got caught out in the opening ten minutes. But after that we showed a willingness to pass and move the ball around well and create chances.

“We created a lot of opportunities and were unfortunate to not find a winning goal in the second half.

“When they scored the first goal we upped the tempo and went right at them. We then made some changes to try and keep the tempo going in the second half and I felt we deserved to probably win the game.

“Our second half performance was pleasing on a number of levels. We worked hard across the pitch and were quick to close down. We gave Millwall very little space and looked a real threat going forward.

“I’m absolutely delighted with what the lads are giving me at this moment. We’ve got some players returning from injury, though we certainly won’t be rushing them.

I’m looking around in the transfer window and there could be some activity this week, but I won’t be buying players just for the sake of it.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:"The players showed tremendous effort throughout that performance and that was the most pleasing thing for me.

"If I have any criticisms we were a bit wasteful and our decision making wasn't good enough.

"I think when the goal went against us made us up the tempo and I felt in the second half we gave everything we had."

I think the poor decision making was not starting Sordell. And it wasn't "our" rather "yours."

Rolling Eyes

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sorry Doug but today was woeful.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

His comments might have been:

"Our defenders lacked the necessary concentration at this level and gave away yet another sloppy goal which immediately put us under the cosh. Our attack isn't anywhere lethal enough to worry the majority of teams at this level. Plenty of effort, but nowhere near enough skill, intensity or concentration to be anything other than a mid-table championship side - which is what we are."

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:"The players showed tremendous effort throughout that performance and that was the most pleasing thing for me.

Another line straight out of the Owen Coyle Guide To Football Mismanagement.

Why is it that whenever we have a poor result we've always shown great effort and spirit?

Fuck off Dougie, I'm starting to hate you even more than Owen Coyle.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Why is it that whenever we have a poor result we've always shown great effort and spirit?

You always hated Freedman. Or more accurately, you always stated Freedman was a duff appointment and perhaps it's only turning to hate now?

I think he's a rookie but he's lucky enough to have Lennie Lawrence. Shame we have no money to take advantage of Lennie's connections in the transfer market.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

You always hated Freedman. Or more accurately, you always stated Freedman was a duff appointment and perhaps it's only turning to hate now?

I think he's a rookie but he's lucky enough to have Lennie Lawrence. Shame we have no money to take advantage of Lennie's connections in the transfer market.

We had £300k to spend on someone to sit in the stands.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

We had £300k to spend on someone to sit in the stands.

I should have made it clearer by saying "not as much money as previous managers have had."

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

I should have made it clearer by saying "not as much money as previous managers have had."

Dougie knew the score when he jumped the Palace ship. If he thought the only way to improve this team was to spend millions he shouldn't have taken the job.

Plenty of managers get by on a shoe-string budget, they actually make the effort on the training ground to improve and motivate the players. Or do you not see this is Dougie's job?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not going to argue with you since it came to light that you are a hard case not to be messed with. In fact I agree that it is DFs role to:

* motivate the players so they are concentrating and giving 100%

* find the best system to play with this squad

* put out the best combination of players for each particular game

* organise the defence

* oversee competitiveness for places

* set realistic goals within a framework for development

* acquire new players as required and within the budget

* manage the club's and the fan's expectations

Struggling to see which of these he has been successful at to date, however we are still only 10 points out of the playoff places with plenty of time to go so I guess the club won't panic just yet - although personally I can't see us pulling it back even with a full squad unless DF pulls his finger out.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Natasha Whittam wrote:

At least he doesn't dress like school boy. I could grow to hate him though if he doesn't improve the squad soon.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Dougie knew the score when he jumped the Palace ship. If he thought the only way to improve this team was to spend millions he shouldn't have taken the job.

Plenty of managers get by on a shoe-string budget, they actually make the effort on the training ground to improve and motivate the players. Or do you not see this is Dougie's job?
He took the job for one reason only-£500k a year. Nobody in the Championship with half a brain would turn that down, pity we have a half wit Chairman that offered it him!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Craig Davies was injured I'm sure thats been mentioned.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Craig Davies was injured I'm sure thats been mentioned.

Not according to the player.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Craig Davies was injured I'm sure thats been mentioned.

Not according to the player.

I read he was injured on twitter, may be wrong sorry.

assuming it was to do with fitness in some sense as to why he didn't feature.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think the official story is that DF didn't consider Craig Davies to be match fit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

assuming it was to do with fitness in some sense as to why he didn't feature.

He was deemed "not match fit" whatever that means.

A disgrace that he wasn't at least on the bench.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"Not match fit" - One of many expressions used in football management jargon or "complete ballcocks" to the rest of us. Others include the following.

"We didn't get the run of the ball" - translates to we couldn't tackle, pass or control the football.

"I thought the officials had a poor game" - A more subtle way of blaming the referee for losing / drawing a match without actually calling him a cheat or incompetent. This bullshit usually arises when a team has had greater than 60% possession and 20 plus efforts on goal without being able to score and then being on the wrong end of a penalty decision. The manager should point the finger at the blind twat on 40K plus per week for not scoring a hat trick but no that would involve some cahones.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum