Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Do We Lie About The Dead?

+5
Reebok_Rebel
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Lofty_Love
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When people die before their time why are they always made out to be brilliant people?

Take this helicopter pilot that died yesterday for example. All I've heard/read since it happened is what a great guy he was and how skilled he was in a helicopter. How skilled can you be if you can't see a bloody big crane with huge lights on it? I can't believe only one innocent person died - it could have been a lot worse.

But shouldn't the people of London be burning effigies of the pilot in the street this morning?

2Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:23

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Because were not soulless, heartless bastards?

3Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:Because were not soulless, heartless bastards?

But don't you find it weird? Why has it become the norm to speak highly of the dead regardless of whether they deserve it?

Some teenage chav gets stabbed in some gang fight and he's always some little angel who helps his gran with her shopping. As if.

4Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:36

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I agree with you that there will be a lot who weren't saints, and to be honest you can usually just tell from their picture and reading between the lines of the article what was going on.

But these people still have families and friends who might be perfectly decent people and the media shouldn't start listing all the reasons why it was their fault etc.. Some of them may have done some bad thinks but they wouldn't justify death/murder as a celebration.

For example, I though the way everyone seemed to celebrate Jade Goodys death was atrocious. OK she was stupid but come on, you would here more racist things than 'Shilpa Poppadom' in any pub in Bolton.. in fact any school in Bolton, she wasn't an evil person, just an idiot, there's plenty of them but I don't want them all to die.

The pilot didn't mean to crash and kill himself/passenger, its just an unfortunate tragedy.

5Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:

The pilot didn't mean to crash and kill himself/passenger, its just an unfortunate tragedy.

No he didn't....but if I was the family of the bloke from Rentakill who died on the ground I wouldn't want to hear how good a pilot he was.

I'm pretty sure I could avoid a crane if I was flying a helicopter.

6Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:41

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

showing a bit of humanity isn't a bad thing.

But no one is stopping you speaking out about how horrible these people are that you know.

Maybe send a card to the family... With Sympathy but.....

7Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The pilot had over 12,000 hours airtime which means he was very experienced. He diverted to Ealing because of poor visibility which was deteriorating by the minute. He tried to land sooner because he didn't think he would be able to make his original destination.

If he had seen the crane I am pretty sure he would have avoided it.

8Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Maybe he was texting?

9Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If he was you can be sure that the authorities will find out.

10Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:20

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

Maybe he was texting?

Its comments like this that just prove your a sad internet Troll.

you start a pathetic thread that you know will get a reaction, then post stupid, pathetic crap like this to 'poke' it a bit more.

You actually still get bites as well... Rolling Eyes

11Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:32

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:When people die before their time why are they always made out to be brilliant people?

Take this helicopter pilot that died yesterday for example. All I've heard/read since it happened is what a great guy he was and how skilled he was in a helicopter. How skilled can you be if you can't see a bloody big crane with huge lights on it? I can't believe only one innocent person died - it could have been a lot worse.

But shouldn't the people of London be burning effigies of the pilot in the street this morning?

- Thick fog and getting thicker by the minute
- Nearby residents advising that there wqas no light working on the crane
- Helicopter pilot ttrying to be as low as possible for any possible emergency landing
- pilot actually managed to maneouvre the helicopter, as it was falling, so as not to crash on the nearby railway lines which could have caused more injury and deaths!

12Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:54

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

So to you - Everybody who gets murdered or suffers a premature death is a total wanker?

how would you Feel if a Catholic Priest was killed when driving his car over some black ice at night - he flew of a ravine, landed on a house and also killed 2 toddlers in their beds.

Would you think it was an unfortunate accident and the priest made a mistake, and read up about all the good things this priest had done before his mistake.

Or would you go on to imply that he was a child murdering, incompetent wanker who couldn't drive?

13Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:

I was brought up to question everything. Do you not wonder how an experienced pilot can crash into a bloody big crane?

14Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:58

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was to do with the weather wasn't it?

I assume fog played a part

15Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 12:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:So to you - Everybody who gets murdered or suffers a premature death is a total wanker?

Not at all. But I'm asking the question why do we always feel we have to say nice things about the dead? I'm not saying this pilot was a bad guy, I'm sure he wasn't, but I just find it a bit silly to be saying what a great pilot he was when he's just crashed into a bloody big crane.

If it turns out he was completely innocent then fine, but I'll wait to see the outcome of the investigation before recommending him for sainthood.

16Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:06

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

I was brought up to question everything. Do you not wonder how an experienced pilot can crash into a bloody big crane?

He made a mistake?

People make them all day Nat - shit happens.

A few years ago a fighter pilot was killed - while training for an airshow with the red arrows. He was a pilot with 15 years fast jet experience and had seen combat in Iraq, Afghanistan and Bosnia. He made a mistake - he lost a 30 million pound Hawk Jet along with his own life.

DO you remember a ferry called the Herald of free enterprise? A Worker forgot to close a cargo bay door and hundreds of people died as a result. the guy had closed this door without fail, for years prior to this.

Yesterday, I wrote an email to my Boss, I accidentally typed 'floppy dick' instead of 'floppy disk' - he saw the funny side.

The point im making is this - the best people in the world can make mistakes, some mistakes cost thousands or even millions of pounds to rectify, some cost lives, others are as stupid and mundane as my last one.

But, the common denominator in all the above examples are that they are mistakes.

A mistake is the most simple of things, im sure you have made a few in your life Nat, sometimes the consequences of making them are bigger, sometimes they are not.

It does not make the person who made it a murdering wanker though.

17Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:07

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:So to you - Everybody who gets murdered or suffers a premature death is a total wanker?

Not at all. But I'm asking the question why do we always feel we have to say nice things about the dead?

sometimes we don't - Jimmy Saville?

18Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:08

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:It was to do with the weather wasn't it?

I assume fog played a part

Yep - very thick fog and the crane was supposedly not lit - according to nearby residents

a reporting fact that a certain persons seems to not to mention or avoid acknowledging!

19Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:

A mistake is the most simple of things, im sure you have made a few in your life Nat, sometimes the consequences of making them are bigger, sometimes they are not.

It does not make the person who made it a murdering wanker though.

I never said he was a murdering wanker, I save that for the chavs that get kniffed in gang violence.

Actually Rebel I can't remember ever making a mistake.

20Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Empty Re: Why Do We Lie About The Dead? Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:12

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

When you die I'm going to call you loads of nasty names.

Can't wait. Hurry up and die.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum