Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robot Wars - Should it be resurrected?

+13
Mr Magoo
bwfc71
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
xmiles
JakeSnake
Angry Dad
Copper Dragon
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
Reebok Trotter
Sgt. Bash
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Back when BBC2 friday evenings were good, The Simpsons and The Fresh Prince was followed by the best of the lot, Robot Wars. Basically, people built battle robots and waged all out war in an arena for a crappy little trophy. It was mint. The best part was the house robots that were the best of the best and destroyed any robot that the competitors failed to finish off. It lasted 6 regular series and 2 spin off "extreme" series on the Beeb before being bought and killed by Channel 5.

Since then, there has been nothing from the sport of battling robots on British TV.

These days, TV rots the brain with TOWIE, I'm a Celeb and Big Brother. I think it's time for Robot Wars to return some excitement back to our tele!

An interesting fan made documentary about the glory days and demise of Robot Wars:

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to love Robot Wars. Some of the designs were brilliant and some were crap. Always sad when you saw a father and son partnership with their home made robot get ripped to shreds and the son ended up crying.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:I used to love Robot Wars. Some of the designs were brilliant and some were crap. Always sad when you saw a father and son partnership with their home made robot get ripped to shreds and the son ended up crying.

Remember Splinter getting atomised by Hypno-Disc in the 4th war semi-final? It must have been devastating for that team, they took it well though IIRC. They even came back with a rebuilt Splinter that even held it's own in an Annihilator with Hypo-Disc.

Those were the days.

Razor, Hypno-Disc and Chaos 2 were my favourite robots. All retired from combat now, so I'm told.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hypno-Disc was awesome. What was the one called with the powerful flipper? It was really low and could flip most robots out of the arena.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I loved that show but grew out of it.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:Hypno-Disc was awesome. What was the one called with the powerful flipper? It was really low and could flip most robots out of the arena.

Chaos 2 - won the 3rd and 4th wars. It was the first to flip an opponent out of the arena and held the Robot Wars record for most flips out of the arena. Ironically, in one of it's last fights, it was itself flipped out of the arena by I think, Dantomkia.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree, the amount of shit on the telly at the moment.

Robot wars, should have its own channel like F1.

I would buy the fucking T-shirt, and bedding.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Yes bring it back and get that f'kin Mr Shouty Pearce off Match Of The Day, the fat get.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

who was the big fat kid with the high squeeky voice? was it chaos? my favorite was hypno disc, did it ever beat chaos?.

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

My cousins went on robot wars

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Which was the robot that turned on one of the house robots and ripped chunks out of its flank. I think Matilda was the house robot that got owned.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:who was the big fat kid with the high squeeky voice?

Craig Charles?

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

one of those robots was gay.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

It was good, certainly better than most of the crap currently on TV but bring it back? I'm not sure but I would vote yes.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I loved Robot Wars would love to see it brought back, some of the technology around these days then people could make some killer robots.

It's a yes from me.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

God no.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:God no.

I have to agree, it was the worst program on TV.

When they axed it, I think it was Challenge that decided to repeat all the shite again lol

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sgt. Bash wrote:It lasted 6 regular series and 2 spin off "extreme" series on the Beeb before being bought and killed by Channel 5

In fact it was axed by the BBC before being bought by Channel 5, although series 5 and 6 were not shown on BBC2 but were shown on BBC Choice.

But RW was a product of the 1990's just as much as The Adventure Game was a product of the 1980's and The Great Egg Race was a product of the 1970's.

Great memories of the series but would it ever have teh same impact, I don't think so.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I used to play it on line at Miniclip games, brilliant killing everyone, not on anymore Sad

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I see there is a 'robot Comabat league' starting on SyFy channel on 8th April I think it is. Not sure but I think its made up robots knocking lumps out of each other

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum