Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy At Work?

+9
chipbutty
wanderlust
Dinae Moe Humm
JonnyRandom
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
Bernard Dennis Park
Soul Kitchen
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Happy At Work? Empty Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If I'm being honest I'm tiring of my job as Marketing Advisor to the business world. You've seen one advert, you've seen them all.

I got into this business purely because it was my Dad's business and it seemed the natural thing to do. But while the pay is pretty good I no longer enjoy it.

I'm not really qualified to do anything else so whatever I do next will obviously be on much lower pay for the short to medium term at least, while I train and gain experience.

So let me ask you this. Would you rather have a highly paid job that you hated or a poorly paid job that you loved?

2Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:08

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Highly paid job that I like.

3Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Highly paid job that I like.

You're not helping.

4Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:16

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'd rather be happy than earn loads.

Luckily I get both with my job.

5Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:19

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:Highly paid job that I like.

You're not helping.
I'm referring to my own factual situation!

6Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I knew this thread would turn into a pissing contest.

I'm sure you all have great jobs that you love. But let's say you had a highly paid job that you disliked - would you stick with it or could you be tempted to take a low paid job you'd enjoy?

7Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:33

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'm lucky to have a pretty well paid job that I enjoy.

However, in answer to the question. Id rather have a very highly paid job that I didn't like.

Sorry, I Dont buy this bullshit that money does not make you happy, If I did a job I hated for huge wads of cash at the end of every month - my bank balance would make me happy again.

I've always been of the belief that money does not make you happy, however it can go a fucking long way towards making you happier. I feel having a shit job for loads of money would outweigh doing something I loved for a pittance.

I get out of bed in the morning, go to work, talk to clients, do reports etc etc for one reason - so I get a wage at the end of the month that gives me a pretty good standard of living, no other reason. Yes - I enjoy it, but if i didn't id still do it - provided the financial incentive for me to do so is still there.

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:34; edited 1 time in total

8Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:33

as someone with no job at the moment i will take either!!

but i would much rather be poorly paid and enjoy my work...but i guess that's easy to say when you've never had a well paid job.

9Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:I'm lucky to have a pretty well paid job that I enjoy.

However, in answer to the question. Id rather have a very highly paid job that I didn't like.

Sorry, I Dont buy this bullshit that money does not make you happy, If I did a job I hated for huge wads of cash at the end of every month - my bank balance would make me happy again.

I've always been of the belief that money does not make you happy, however it can go a fucking long way towards making you happier. I feel having a shit job for loads of money would outweigh doing something I loved for a pittance.

I get out of bed in the morning, go to work, talk to clients, do reports etc etc for one reason - so I get a wage at the end of the month that gives me a pretty good standard of living, no other reason. Yes - I enjoy it, but if i didn't id still do it - provided the financial incentive for me to do so is still there.

Fair play to you Rebel, an honest post. So if you were me you'd stay where I am?

10Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've been in both situations tbh.

11Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:43

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:I'm lucky to have a pretty well paid job that I enjoy.

Fair play to you Rebel, an honest post. So if you were me you'd stay where I am?

Putting aside the usual guff that this may/may not be true...

yes - id stick with it.

At the end of the day ive always viewed work as a necessary evil - I give up around 30 -50 hours of my time a week to be a cog in a huge corporate machine, in return I get a healthy (ish) salary, private healthcare and a healthy transport allowance. the only reason I would consider moving jobs or setting up on my own was if the money was better.

Its all about the numbers on that bottom right hand corner for me...

Sorry if that makes me a bad person, but the world revolves around money - I like it very much and it allows me to lead the lifestyle I enjoy, with less money I couldn't.

12Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:47

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a pissing contest.

I'm sure you all have great jobs that you love. But let's say you had a highly paid job that you disliked - would you stick with it or could you be tempted to take a low paid job you'd enjoy?

Low paid that I enjoyed.

13Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 12:26

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I love having a pissing contest although I can't piss as high as I used to.
Now to answer the question-think about the money all the time! Only a bullshitter goes to work for job satisfaction!!

14Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 12:29

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I enjoy my job. Working on a complaints department is always amusing. Seeing its for a company who gets loads of complaints is fun.

15Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 12:30

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

JonnyRandom wrote:I enjoy my job. Working on a complaints department is always amusing. Seeing its for a company who gets loads of complaints is fun.

So a shit company then?

LOL!

I joke...

16Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 12:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JonnyRandom wrote:I enjoy my job. Working on a complaints department is always amusing. Seeing its for a company who gets loads of complaints is fun.

Santander or British Gas?

17Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 13:35

I love my job. I don't get paid a lot but I can't imagine doing something for 8 hours a day 5 days a week if I didn't enjoy it. What sort of idiot would waste his life doing that?

18Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 13:44

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Money can't buy you happiness. Money is happiness.

But seriously, there's a balance. Nobody want's to do a job they hate, but at the same time if you have enough money from your job then you can enjoy your own time properly. If I was in a low paid job I enjoyed, I might not be able to travel in my time off for example. If I'm well paid I can at least think 'I don't like my job but I've got (whatever) to look forward to'.

19Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 14:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've had enough of work TBH - it's just a matter of when I decide to get out. For me, job satisfaction is more important than money, but my kids are grown, mortgages paid off and I have everything I need so I guess it depends on age to some extent. I have another business that I'd like to spend more time working on, some property to redevelop, and loads of interests so it's time to stop chasing the big bucks for me. I want to "retire."

20Happy At Work? Empty Re: Happy At Work? Thu Mar 21 2013, 17:34

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The secret of a happy life is to be able to take pleasure in simple things.

In the words of the song 'You're nobody till somebody loves you' money can't buy you happiness when you're growing old.

For more words of wisdom and the meaning of life, I'll be sat under a tree half way up Tottington Rd. on the left hand side on Saturday morning from 10.30 till 12.00 and be happy to advise (for a reasonable fee).

Last edited by chipbutty on Thu Mar 21 2013, 17:54; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum