Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Football fans

+2
doffcocker
JonnyRandom
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Football fans Empty Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 03:11

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

We all know that Liverpool fans think their team is clearly better than they think they are. Top 2 finish my arse. Newcastle fans expected the league within 2 seasons of them being promoted back to the premier league.

Are Bolton fans now expecting too much as with the other fans? I think so. Bolton fans have been "gifted" by managers that has basically brought Bolton down horrendously since the great days of Big Sam (no I will not call him fat sam because he is the best thing that happened to bolton in an bloody long time).

Every time we dont beat the teams in the Championship "bolton fans" are quick to say dougie out which in my eyes is pathetic to say it politely. 

So what do you think? Are the fans of teams like Liverpool and Newcastle right to expect so much and are we as Bolton fans correct/incorrect to expect glory so early on in the season seeing Dougie has begun a rebuilding project?

2Football fans Empty Re: Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 04:35

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Liverpool are unquestionably one of the two biggest clubs in England, in terms of history and fanbase.
As a football club, they aren't near to fulfilling their potential. Imagine the reaction in 92 if you told someone Liverpool would yet to have won the PL by 2013.
A lot of work is needed there and not just in terms of the team. A 45,000 seater stadium for a club of that magnitude is very poor.  
I do think billionaires coming in and buying success is very unfortunate for the game. What's happened to Man City and Chelsea could as easily have happened to Liverpool and various other clubs. It's just pot luck at the end of the day.

The average Bolton fan is blinkered with respect to the task in hand going forward, from my point of view.
"the debt means nuffin cos its all owed to da owner" is a common argument. Dream on.

3Football fans Empty Re: Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 10:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Fans nowadays are influenced by media hype, to an extraordinary degree. Nat is right in that the players are overpaid, and because of this the fans get frustrated when they don't perform as advertised. Also, as a result, we've all become financial experts, and superb managers. Were all experts in whether a foul should have been, etc, all due to deep analysis of what would have been seen, thought about, and left for later, etc, in days gone by. If we took away all the slowmo, pundits comments, etc, we would go back to actually watching the game, good or bad, instead of thinking about all the peripheral things that were rarely commented on. Do I care if someone was bought fo £5 million? no, I care about whether he is a good player, and what he will do for the team. The raising of expectations by the media is to blame for many fans disillusionment of the game, when they don't win every game in Roy of the Rovers fashion.

4Football fans Empty Re: Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 10:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote: The raising of expectations by the media is to blame for many fans disillusionment of the game, when they don't win every game in Roy of the Rovers fashion.

Have we ever won a game in 'Roy of the Rovers' fashion?

5Football fans Empty Re: Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 11:02

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Fortunes of all clubs wax and wane over periods of time, even for some of the biggest, Liverpool being a prime example. Difficult though this is for Bolton fans to accept, the Premier League glory years under Allardyce were a peak that may never be seen again and they were prolonged by 3 or so seasons chasing a dream with borrowed money. 

Bolton Wanderers is a Championship sized club with a Championship sized support that has punched above its weight and is now in a period when it has to readjust its sights and repair its finances if it can. The Premier League will become increasingly difficult for all except the big city clubs to survive in until something changes and FFP doesn't go far enough.

6Football fans Empty Re: Football fans Sun Aug 04 2013, 12:21

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we were spoilt with big sam it's as simple as that.

most fans are realistic IMO but there's a good minority that think we should win every game in the championship because we once had a bit of success a few years ago. Now remember how many other teams in the champo have done that too.

this league is stacked simple as that, we're just one needle in a huge haystack.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum