Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are Footballers Ponces?

+11
BoltonTillIDie
Angry Dad
kennster
karlypants
Reebok Trotter
doffcocker
JAH
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
White84
Natasha Whittam
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 18:11

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:It's like saying you don't believe that mental illness exists purely because you haven't experienced and can't see it. Nonsense basically.

I don't know if this just you being deliberately provocative, but arguing against an entire profession and science to trivialise something so serious is only makes you look ignorant.
But I do believe in mental illness. My cousin used to think the lampposts in his street were out to get him. He was mental.

I'm not arguing that people get very down, but when does being "pretty pissed off" become depression? How do you gauge who is depressed and who is "just a bit pissed off"?
Granted, it's a difficult one to gauge. But that's not a reason to pretend there aren't people who really suffer.

Remember, it's not just about life events culminating in somebody feeling miserable. Depression can strike anyone, regardless of their circumstances, just like many a physical illness. You wouldn't think it fictitious for a chemical imbalance to cause an illness of the stomach or kidneys or pancreas. What's different about the brain?

22Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 18:15

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't Gary Speed have depression?

23Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 18:43

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Didn't Gary Speed have depression?
Yes, that's what probably drove him to suicide.

24Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 18:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:When it's impossible to 'move on' from what's depressing you, constantly dwelling on the problem so that it completely takes over your life. A lot of the time it involves severe anxiety which effects every aspect of a persons life, plus there are plenty of physical symptoms ranging from trouble sleeping to constipation.

There's no argument/debate to be had here, as Im sure many on here have I've seen it first hand clearly you haven't or you wouldn't hold this view the effects can be horrendous.
Right, so because I'm in the minority there's no argument to be had?

Trouble sleeping and constipation are symptoms of many things.

A doctor friend of mine openly admits he regularly diagnoses people as "depressed" just to get them out of the door. He learnt from experience that telling people there was nothing wrong with them just made people angry.

The fact is depressed people just need something good to happen in their life, and they soon forget their troubles. I've had bad times but I've never jumped on the depressed bandwagon. The only person who can make your life better is you.

25Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 18:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
If people want to top themselves then I say let them get on with it - only don't leave yourself swinging from the rafters if there's a chance your kids might find you. Twat.

26Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 19:20

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

karlypants wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Didn't Gary Speed have depression?
Two words, Duncan Ferguson.

27Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 20:14

Natasha Whittam wrote:A doctor friend of mine openly admits he regularly diagnoses people as "depressed" just to get them out of the door. He learnt from experience that telling people there was nothing wrong with them just made people angry.
I won't argue with that, a friend of mine ended up on the highest dose of anti-depressants available and baring in mind he's 22 I think it's a joke. Rather than offer him good counselling they took an easy option in my mind.

28Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 20:35

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:
If people want to top themselves then I say let them get on with it - only don't leave yourself swinging from the rafters if there's a chance your kids might find you. Twat.
You dont have a clue about mental illness and what depression can do to someone, i've just realised you're a fucking idiot.

29Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 20:42

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

White84 wrote:Agree with Nat soft as shit now.You can't even tackle.Did you see Big Sam laughing his arse off at tottenhams centre half when he went down done three roll overs.BSA just pissed himself on the sidelines funny.I think it was on goals on Sunday.

30Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 20:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:You dont have a clue about mental illness and what depression can do to someone, i've just realised you're a fucking idiot.
Shame on you AD, I didn't think you'd be one to fall for all this depression bollocks.

31Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 21:05

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:You dont have a clue about mental illness and what depression can do to someone, i've just realised you're a fucking idiot.
Shame on you AD, I didn't think you'd be one to fall for all this depression bollocks.
Insensitive, no wonder that bloke fucked you off.

32Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 21:44

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
A doctor friend of mine openly admits he regularly diagnoses people as "depressed" just to get them out of the door. He learnt from experience that telling people there was nothing wrong with them just made people angry.

The fact is depressed people just need something good to happen in their life, and they soon forget their troubles. I've had bad times but I've never jumped on the depressed bandwagon. The only person who can make your life better is you.
There's two types of depressed people. Some people are depressed because of life events (or lack of), others are depressed despite leading an ostensibly desirable/perfect lifestyle. It's a scientific fact that the human brain relies on the production of chemicals such as serotonin to create feelings of satisfaction. It often doesn't matter that somebody can buy a big house on Chorley New Road and a yacht in Cornwall. Without the right balance of serotonin, those things are worthless. Try to think of it like insulin and diabetics.
Unfortunately, we have a lot of people on medication for depression that don't need to be because it's an easy way that doctors can get patients to piss off.
But there are people that rely on the tablets for no level of lifestyle improvement can create the required chemical balance in the brain.

33Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 22:27

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Footballers have always had injuries, but these days the slightest thing seems to result in month's of inactivity sat on the treatment table. Is that progress shouldn't sports science result in less time injured.
Seems like if they fart there out for months, really frustrating.

Depression ? a bit sick trying to score points on trivialising such a serious condition.

People who are pissed off ? rarely top themselves the mortality rate for those with depression i guess is pretty high. The only thing i would concede is that i do think GP's throw anti depressants out far to early in the diagnosis. It's easy to say get a grip when it doesn't effect you. it doesn't impact on me or mine but i do have empathy for anyone who suffers.

34Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 22:45

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

bwfc1874 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:A doctor friend of mine openly admits he regularly diagnoses people as "depressed" just to get them out of the door. He learnt from experience that telling people there was nothing wrong with them just made people angry.
I won't argue with that, a friend of mine ended up on the highest dose of anti-depressants available and baring in mind he's 22 I think it's a joke. Rather than offer him good counselling they took an easy option in my mind.
Not really an easy option. Drugs should kick in after just a few weeks, most people who need counselling, will have to wait for NHS care and waiting for counselling on the NHS could easily take many months. I think a GP wouldn't have much option, if their diagnosis for their patient was a severe form of depression or anxiety.

35Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 23:00

Fair points culcheth. Think a big reason I'm against that course of action is how difficult it is to get off the drugs, but as you say there's often little choice.

36Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Mon Nov 04 2013, 23:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Fair points culcheth. Think a big reason I'm against that course of action is how difficult it is to get off the drugs, but as you say there's often little choice.
I think one of the big named anti-depressants can make you feel suicidal and has pushed people to suicide?

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Nov 05 2013, 00:12; edited 1 time in total

37Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Tue Nov 05 2013, 00:05

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
I have had first hand experience of mental illness,my mother spent time in a mental hospital she had depression and I have seen how much despair they go through. Do you think they are mentally competent when they kill themselves ? No they are not,a healthy person would not kill themselves only a severely disturbed mind makes them do that. I saw stuff my mother did no kid should have to see.

38Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Tue Nov 05 2013, 08:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People are missing my point. I do have empathy for people that are unhappy, I'm just tired of people being labelled "depressed" as though it's the next stage up from simply being unhappy.

But obviously going to the doctors saying you are unhappy is going to get you nowhere, so people trot out the "depression" tag to get attention or drugs.

I've had people ring in saying they are unable to work because they are depressed. I ask them how they know they are depressed and they always answer "..because I'm REALLY unhappy". I tell them if they're not at their desk in 30 minutes they really will have something to be unhappy about.

Angry Dad is trying to use mental illness as an excuse for depression, but that is a completely different argument and one I'm not qualified to comment on.

If you're unhappy do something about it. Get out more, meet people, join a club, go dogging, do whatever makes you happy. Don't sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle telling the world you are depressed.

39Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Tue Nov 05 2013, 08:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're arguing about semantics and terminology which is understandable as "depression" is a stupid word used to explain away a wide range of conditions, most of which don't leave the sufferer with choice or control over their actions or even thoughts.
Our mental health system has a track record of pumping patients full of psychoactive drugs to manage the behaviour and make nurse's lives a lot easier - but they are only marginally better than a chemical labotomy and patients often don't know what day it is, let alone what life choices they have (if they're not sectioned in which case they don't have any choices) or how to go about making them happen.

None of this is anything to do with the question.
I think footballers don't necessarily "cry off" although the behaviour of some of them on the pitch is reprehensible. It's just that players cost so much these days they are considered an asset to be protected and the slightest twinge or cough and they are sidelined. Plus they are expected to be "athletes" at the top of their game whenever they appear so slight knocks etc. would rule them out.
Makes you laugh when you see some of them, but I'm sure that's the thinking, rightly or wrongly.
With our club, we have risked players who aren't fully fit in the past (Holden etc) and it has cost us big time so I just reckon they have become more risk-averse.

40Are Footballers Ponces? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Footballers Ponces? Tue Nov 05 2013, 10:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People seem to be linking mental health and depression, and unfortunately that's the modern way. The fact is 99.99% of people who claim to be depressed are perfectly sane people with no mental problems whatsoever.

We can't simply be pissed off or unhappy anymore, we have to have a "disease" so we can justify time off work or sitting on the sofa eating Monster Munch all day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum