Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside

+6
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
Hipster_Nebula
doffcocker
Sluffy
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 20:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

To be honest I don't take offence at the comment - even though Mr Gartside would probably class my views of Coyle in the 'numpty' class - then again I never consider Megson was talking about me when he was referring to the fans who were abusing him.

Anyway the comments are the last sentence of the following article from the Bolton News -

PHIL Gartside has moved to clarify the club’s financial position – confirming that plans are in place should Wanderers lose their fight against the drop.

While the Whites’ survival chances were dealt a huge boost on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over rivals QPR, much work still has to be done to ensure a 12th consecutive season of Premier League football at the Reebok.

But the chairman, pictured, believes the club would be well-prepared should the worst happen.

“We have always had a plan of contingency because we count in that group of 10 to 14 clubs in the Premier League at the start of the season who could find themselves in that position,” he told BBC Radio Manchester.

Recent financial figures confirmed that losses of £26million last year pushed debts up to around £110m, although Gartside insists the club is not at risk financially because of the continued funding from Bolton-born owner Eddie Davies.

The Isle of Man-based businessman has ploughed more than £100m of his fortune into the Whites over the last decade, which have enabled the club to purchase most of the assets they own today.

“It has been widely reported that we’re £100million in debt but we have not got any outside debt other than a very small overdraft facility to Barclays Bank that was renewed at the start of last season,” he explained.

“Eddie Davies gives us fantastic support, so there is no pressure on that. We have had wonderful support over the last 10 or 11 years and we own all our assets – the stadium, the training ground, the Academy, the hotel and the car parks. If you look at the investment he has made, it is reasonable for those assets in terms of a football club.”

Wanderers’ struggles on the pitch this season have “surprised” Gartside, but the chairman admits there have been some extenuating circumstances.

“To lose two of your best players at the very start, any team would struggle,” he said of injuries to Stuart Holden and Chung-Yong Lee. “That has been the main problem. Week after week we haven’t been able to play our best team and Owen has not had the players to pick from because of injury.”

He added: “It is also a period of transition, Owen Coyle planned to lower the overall age group of the players. We would have liked to do that during close-season but due to the circumstances we had to do it during the season instead.”

Commenting on the fact that 10 first team players are out of contract in the summer – including Kevin Davies, Zat Knight, Gretar Steinsson and Sam Ricketts – Gartside said no firm decision had yet been made on the players’ future.

“It would be stupid to have a squad of 30 players who all came out of contract at the same time,” he said. “On average, there are always going to be 10 players coming to the end – it just so happens that in this case, a lot of the players are older. We will be taking a decision. Some, none or all of them may stay. But we have to make those decisions every year.”

Gartside thanked the majority of fans for remaining supportive of Owen Coyle in what has been a testing season.

“I’m positive because I have got Owen here, who is also positive,” he said.

“But I look at the last 10 or 11 fixtures and they are all winnable. The fans have been fantastic, there has been very little dissent about Owen and what he is trying to do. They deserve a large thanks.”

But the chairman did bite back at some supporters who had been critical of Coyle in recent weeks on radio phone-ins.

“The 10 numpties that come on at the end of the programme are not a true reflection of the people who support Bolton Wanderers,” he said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 20:30

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He showed this sort of arrogance with Lee and Megson - the 'we've got the right man and anybody that disagrees doesn't understand football!' sort of attitude.

Gartside = complete spaz.

3Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 20:48

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Said on another forum where this came up that i agree with him on this one.

I really think he's let himself down with his babyish comments on twitter this year though.

a man of his age should surely show more class.

4Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Age is no indication of maturity.

Some of the 'numpties' who have tried their damnedest to fuck this site prove that point!

5Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:29

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Big Phil has his own level of 'numptyness' as evidenced by his tweets on the Cahill/Arsenal issue. Mostly reasonable comments though, I think.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

6Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Said on another forum where this came up...

Going off topic for a moment - unlike several BWFC forums who won't allow mention of the 'Nuts' to be made (links removed / name deleted / threads removed) I've never had any problem with us naming them - it is not like we've never heard of them before!

I know the name wasn't mentioned (Bolton Banter I assume you were talking about) out of forum etiquette - and I thank you for that - but I've always believed that a forum stands or falls on the quality of its posters - and not because we try to keep the names of other forums secret just in case you might like one of them better than you do us!

I find it ironically flattering in a sense that some other sites try to keep their posters in the dark about our existence (through censorship and a news 'black out'), presumably because they are worried that they might lose posters to us - which I truly believe they would!

People aren't idiots - sooner or later they find out about the things you are trying to keep 'hidden' from them, so why not be up front about things right from the start?

We all know about Burnden Aces, The Wanderer and Wanderers Ways - yet we choose still to post on here - yet you won't find mention of our site (apart from the odd oblique reference) anywhere on theirs!

Hard to believe we ALL of us support the same team really.

7Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Banter have a poster called 'Le God' who was voted their 'Funniest Poster of 2010'. I'm twice as funny as he is aren't I Hipster.

8Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Tue Mar 13 2012, 06:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Personally, I think Gartside should have left the 'numpties' comment out. If they have gone to the trouble of using a phone-in then they could be passionate fans who are entitled to have their say. He would have been better off just saying that he didn't agree with their comments and leave it at that.

On the subject of our little site, I think we have done quite well seeing as how weonly started up in January!

9Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Tue Mar 13 2012, 08:57

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Gartside is a moron. how to alienate your fans in one simple move.

10Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think that saying the fans "have been fantastic" should alienate anyone. He did refer to the handful of fans who were abusive on radio phone ins as being numpties, but not the majority of fans. As regards his Twitter activities, he does come across as wanting to be "one of the fans" - which I think is no bad thing in a Chairman as he will at least have an awareness of the mood of the day - and you never know - he may even pick up a few ideas. His personal popularity is of no importance - it's just good management to be aware of what customers are thinking.

11Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Tue Mar 13 2012, 11:44

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Saying "numpties" will do him no favours. Probably a bad idea. - even if he was right. Everyone is entitled to their say, even those who don't like Coyle, and to be fair they could have a point..

12Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Empty Re: Bolton fans 'Numpties' - Gartside Tue Mar 13 2012, 12:37

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Gartside is the numpty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum