Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips

+9
bwfc71
doffcocker
gloswhite
Banks of the Croal
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
karlypants
Soul Kitchen
Culcheth_White
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:14

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Seeing as though most of us on here are from up North and we love our grub. Which pie shop and chippy is your favourite?

For pies & pasties, I recommend Dawsons & Whittakers in Tyldesley. Price's in Westhoughton and ye old pie shop (walsh's) in Bolton.

For fish & chips, I recommend Green Lane Chippy in Leigh and also Market Street Chippy in Atherton.

2Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:26

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Chippy Kens on Ainsworth Lane used to be world class but sadly he passed away quite a few years ago. Had many a chat with Ken about Leigh RL.
As for pies, Bowens in Adlington take some beating!?!
Paul Moulden ex City and Guinness Book of Records legend has a chippy on Bury Rd which I've been told is quite good.

Last edited by Soul Kitchen on Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:28; edited 1 time in total

3Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:27

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:Seeing as though most of us on here are from up North and we love our grub. Which pie shop and chippy is your favourite?

For pies & pasties, I recommend Dawsons & Whittakers in Tyldesley. Price's in Westhoughton and ye old pie shop (walsh's) in Bolton.

For fish & chips, I recommend Green Lane Chippy in Leigh and also Market Street Chippy in Atherton.

I would recommend Arnside chip shop, absolutely fab tasting fish and chips!

4Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:29

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:Seeing as though most of us on here are from up North and we love our grub. Which pie shop and chippy is your favourite?

They'd be cold when I got them back to Bolton? Very Happy 

5Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:
karlypants wrote:

They'd be cold when I got them back to Bolton? Very Happy 

Very true! We generally eat them in the car before coming back home  Very Happy 

6Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pryces in Walkden do fantastic pies.

7Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:45

12 months ago I would've said Coleman's at the top of Chorley Old Rd, but since it got sold and the new owner was fined 30 grand for numerous breaches of various Food Hygiene Regs, I won't be recommending it.

8Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Know it well. Just on the left as you come into Arnside. We tend to go up to Arnside about three or four times a year and always visit the chippy.

9Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:16

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Go in the Arnside one, when we're are up that way.

Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe... went shopping in Bolton last week and called in, really good.

10Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:28

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I rather liked the fish and chips you used to get in the chippy opposite Burnden Park. 'Rice & Easy' I think it was called. it was a chinese cum chippy. Used to have a good laugh with the two chinese ladies who ran it as well

11Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:36

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've grown up on Bennetts Lane chippy grub, but recently found the fish to be very poor, so I now go to Whiteside's on Halliwell Road normally.

I used to go to Hunters (previously known as Molly Benthams) on Church Road. Nothing special really, not been for a long time.

Who remembers Coleman's on Chorley Old Road? I used to love their sausage rolls, but it recently got fined £30,000 for being mucky.

12Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:40

See 3 comments up regarding Colemans.

I also grew up on Molly Bentham's pies and their tiny little Hovis loaves.

And I always hated Bennett's Lane chippy because it was a bit clicky and the bloke who owned it served all his mates first.

He's called Dave and he fishes with my Dad.

And he's still a cock......

13Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Know it well. Just on the left as you come into Arnside. We tend to go up to Arnside about three or four times a year and always visit the chippy.

Spent a lot of time up there and Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth, Morcambe (before it became shit) etc when I was a kid when all the family had tourers.

14Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 20:56

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Chippy - Su's Chippy on Belmont Road
Pie shop - Ye Olde on Churchgate

We once stayed at my grans for a while on Arnold Street (between Bennetts Lane and Bernard Grove) and at top of the street was the Bennetts Lane Chippy whilst there was a pie shop next door and a greengrocers next to them - those were the days when it is a community based street!

15Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:05

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Chippy - Su's Chippy on Belmont Road

You have got to be kidding me!

Absolutely tasteless shit from there IMO.

16Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:16

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:Chippy - Su's Chippy on Belmont Road

You have got to be kidding me!

Absolutely tasteless shit from there IMO.

Nope. Been going there for over 30 years when Su originally owned it before he gave it over to his son and daughter-in-law!!! And now the 3rd generation are slowly taking over.

17Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:22

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I went to Sharples school where it seemed everybody lived off Su's chippy. I should give it a whirl one day.

18Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:24

"at top of the street was the Bennetts Lane Chippy whilst there was a pie shop next door and a greengrocers next to them."

Really?

I don't remember that and I grew up there in the 70's.

There was an off-licence type shop at the top of Hughes Street near Holy Harbour, but I don't remember a pie shop and a greengrocer.

What era are we talking?

19Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:27

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There was a greengrocer a block down from Molly Benthams that made way for a Tantastic type shop about 10 years. Was it called Ken Legg's?

20Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:33

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's funny but for our supposed national dish  Rolling Eyes  it really is difficult to find a decent chip 'ole anywhere.

There is one decent one near us and they won the National Fish and Chip award 2011 which is Holts.... http://www.holtsfishandchips.co.uk/index2.php

A lot of it is down to how many use crap potatoes and crap oil.

The best Fish and Chips that I've ever had was in the early 80's on the North Circular Rd in London.

Rock Salmon (Dogfish) it was and it was the size of a Basking Shark but the chips were excellent as well.

I very rarely go to the chip 'ole these days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum