Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips

+9
bwfc71
doffcocker
gloswhite
Banks of the Croal
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
karlypants
Soul Kitchen
Culcheth_White
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fat bastards.

22Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:41

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:It's funny but for our supposed national dish  Rolling Eyes  it really is difficult to find a decent chip 'ole anywhere.

There is one decent one near us and they won the National Fish and Chip award 2011 which is Holts....  http://www.holtsfishandchips.co.uk/index2.php

A lot of it is down to how many use crap potatoes and crap oil.

The best Fish and Chips that I've ever had was in the early 80's on the North Circular Rd in London.

Rock Salmon (Dogfish) it was and it was the size of a Basking Shark but the chips were excellent as well.

I very rarely go to the chip 'ole these days.

I totally agree with what you say.

Haven't you recommended them before?

I feel a sense of dejavu coming on...

Last edited by karlypants on Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:43; edited 1 time in total

23Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:41

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Fat bastards.

About time you changed your avatar back to a woman!  Very Happy 

24Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:47

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:"at top of the street was the Bennetts Lane Chippy whilst there was a pie shop next door and a greengrocers next to them."

Really?

I don't remember that and I grew up there in the 70's.

There was an off-licence type shop at the top of Hughes Street near Holy Harbour, but I don't remember a pie shop and a greengrocer.

What era are we talking?

Mid-1970's to very early 1980's

You had the chippy on the corner of bennetts lan and Arnold Street and then on Arnold street itself next to the chippy was a bakery and then a short backstreet followed by a greengrocers. Whilst we used to get papers and magazines from the newsagents at the corner of Bennetts Lane and Elgin Street and used the chemist opposite the newsagents then, of course, the co-op was well used and mum used to go to the hairdressers next to the co-op.

Last edited by bwfc71 on Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:50; edited 1 time in total

25Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't know Karlypants but if you're taking notes then I must have.  Very Happy 

26Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 21:53

doffcocker wrote:There was a greengrocer a block down from Molly Benthams that made way for a Tantastic type shop about 10 years. Was it called Ken Legg's?
Yeah, Ken Legg's.

Used to get our Swede's from there at Halloween before pumpkins were widely available.

And I got my first methadone prescription from Lee's chemist.

Happy days.....

27Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 22:13

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Shaes chippy (spelling incorrect I think) opposite Morrisons in Harwood is fooking gorgeous.

28Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Mon Dec 23 2013, 23:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:I don't know Karlypants but if you're taking notes then I must have.  Very Happy 

You might have mentioned it in the thread that was about the police control at the Burnley V BBurn game a bit back?

I could be wrong though!  Smile 

29Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Tue Dec 24 2013, 00:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:Shaes chippy (spelling incorrect I think) opposite Morrisons in Harwood is fooking gorgeous.

Chaes?

30Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Tue Dec 24 2013, 09:44

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Culcheth_White wrote:Seeing as though most of us on here are from up North and we love our grub. Which pie shop and chippy is your favourite?

For pies & pasties, I recommend Dawsons & Whittakers in Tyldesley. Price's in Westhoughton and ye old pie shop (walsh's) in Bolton.

For fish & chips, I recommend Green Lane Chippy in Leigh and also Market Street Chippy in Atherton.
Seconded, Pies you can suck through a straw.

31Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips - Page 2 Empty Re: Pies, Pasties & Fish & Chips Tue Dec 24 2013, 10:48

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Coleman's original shop was opposite St Luke church on Chorley Old Rd. It was sold in the mid 70's and the second shop at the junction of Whitecroft Rd and COR. When I lived up there I thought the pies were great, my mum made um till about 78!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum