Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First car advice

+10
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
rammywhite
Reebok_Rebel
scottjames30
Sluffy
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
Mr Magoo
aaron_bwfc
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1First car advice Empty First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 21:12

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I've been looking on various sites all weekend and have seen a few cars that take my fancy and obviously the insurance is going to be a bit of a killer, but is their any advice you guys could give when buying a car?

2First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 21:27

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Renault Clio 1.2, just insured my daughter £1500 fully comp, best deal out there Hastings insurance.
Give them a call for best deal.

3First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 21:50

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If you are 25 it will be cheaper than if you are a teen for insurance. The big age changes are 21 and 25. 
One of the best and cheapest for insurance is the Citroen C1. My youngest was 20 when she got hers and it was about 900 fully comp from admiral with me and the gaffer on as named drivers. Similar for my eldest with a C2.

4First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 21:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A Ford Ka is not a bad motor to start off with. The insurance is on a par with the Renault and Citroen. Car insurance for new drivers is expensive but the fact you are 25 will make it a bit cheaper than a younger new timer. The sooner you get on the insurance ladder the better.

5First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:07

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

My favourite ones so far are the Ford Ka, Hyundai and Vauxhall corsa - just of the fact that I learned to drive in a vauxhall corsa.

I've been looking on auto trader evey day since I passed on wednesday.

6First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:18

Buy something cheap to run, ie small engine, cheap on tax, doesn't drink fuel and won't cost you an arm and a leg if bits fall off.

Build your NCD up until you've got four years then start to think bigger.

With the price of insurance for new drivers nowadays, I'd recommend you don't claim if anything happens, ie even if it gets nicked.

You might think money in the hand is compensation for losing your car but the insurance company won't pay you anything like what its market value is and you'll lose your NCD.

I'd go for something like a ten year old Fiesta or Corsa to start with.

They're cheap to run and parts are readily available.

Avoid foreign cars as replacement parts are more expensive.

Happy motoring, mate.

7First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Buy something cheap to run, ie small engine, cheap on tax, doesn't drink fuel and won't cost you an arm and a leg if bits fall off.

Build your NCD up until you've got four years then start to think bigger.

With the price of insurance for new drivers nowadays, I'd recommend you don't claim if anything happens, ie even if it gets nicked.

You might think money in the hand is compensation for losing your car but the insurance company won't pay you anything like what its market value is and you'll lose your NCD.

I'd go for something like a ten year old Fiesta or Corsa to start with.

They're cheap to run and parts are readily available.

Avoid foreign cars as replacement parts are more expensive.

Happy motoring, mate.

Sound Advice. I have gone from Ford to Honda to Hyundai over the last 30 years and I don't think you will go wrong with a small Hyundai.

The Kia is another safe option at the lower end of the CC scale.

8First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Sound advice from Bread.

Get yourself a 'cheap' british car - 10 years old or more is possibly going a bit too far (as you will need to see what mileage its done - ie is it clapped out with loads of parts due for replacement) - because if you scratch it or bump it, it won't break your heart or your wallet.

Proper driving starts now and you're going to need to get ten's of thousands of miles under your belt before you even should be thinking of getting a decent car.

No Claims Discount maximum should be your objective now.

Have fun and try not to be a boy racer - the police love nothing better then them!

9First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:58

RT,

I bought a Hyundai a couple of years ago and it's the best car I've ever had.

The build quality is superb and (to date) it's given me absolutely no trouble.

Fantastic value for money and you get a five year manufacturers warranty on everything.

Great car.

10First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 09:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:RT,

I bought a Hyundai a couple of years ago and it's the best car I've ever had.

The build quality is superb and (to date) it's given me absolutely no trouble.

Fantastic value for money and you get a five year manufacturers warranty on everything.

Great car.

I have had Hyundai for the last eleven years. I used to drive a Honda but I bought a new Hyundai Accent saloon in 03 with a 5 year warranty. After 5 years it had only done 35,000 and with a full service history they gave me a good trade in price and I swapped it for a new Santa Fe in 2008. Still got it now and never had any problems with either car. A lot of people swear by the Kia range as well.

11First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 09:14

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ever thought about getting a car on lease?

You can get a brand new one , some do free insurance , might work out better for you.

12First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 09:29

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Seriously, look at Kia. First time driver you will be wanting the picanto. 

Any company that has the bottle to offer a 7 year warranty, has to have something about them. 

I had a Kia ceed for a few weeks a while back, it's basically a focus clone - belive me, I was incredibly impressed with it, it was cheaper and better spec'd than a focus that cost 8 grand more. 

I'm actually contemplating a sportage, I've compared them to other 4x4 cars and I have concluded for the same spec, I'd have to buy a bmw x5 and pay about 15 grand more for it. 

Trust me, Kia build good cars imho.

13First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 09:32

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Try a Corsa- my daughter has had one for 6 years- bought it for her when it was two years old and nothing has gone wrong with it. its relatively cheap to insure so that you can build up a substantial NCD quickly - stands you in good stead when you move on to something bigger and better.
Its good fun to drive as well. Nippy and easy to park

14First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 09:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote: 

I'm actually contemplating a sportage, I've compared them to other 4x4 cars and I have concluded for the same spec, I'd have to buy a bmw x5 and pay about 15 grand more for it. 

I looked at the Sportage before I bought my Santa Fe. There isn't much difference tbh. The Santa Fe has a 2.2 engine whereas the Sportage is 2.0. The 7 year warranty is a big selling point for the KIA range. My next door neighbour has the Sportage and he is happy with it.

15First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All good advice especially don't spend a load of money until you've built up your NCD. 

If you've recently passed your test pay special attention after 2 to 3 months - that's the time when new drivers no longer do the checks and routines their instructors drill into them, they get confident and that's when the accidents happen. Both my youngest had prangs after 2 to 3 months - despite the advice.

16First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 11:42

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:All good advice especially don't spend a load of money until you've built up your NCD. 

If you've recently passed your test pay special attention after 2 to 3 months - that's the time when new drivers no longer do the checks and routines their instructors drill into them, they get confident and that's when the accidents happen. Both my youngest had prangs after 2 to 3 months - despite the advice.

Exactly my experience my daughter had her first (and only) crash three months after passing her test. She wrote her first car off ( a cheap Corsa)  through sheer inexperience of road users behaviour

17First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I recommend a Bentley, it'll help compensate for your small penis.

18First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:42

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:I recommend a Bentley, it'll help compensate for your small penis.

Does everything with you eventually come down to genitals?

19First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 13:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:

You utter bellend.

20First car advice Empty Re: First car advice Sun Jul 20 2014, 14:54

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

You utter bellend.

Appears so!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum