Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice needed

+10
finlaymcdanger
Lard Lad
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
Chairmanda
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
boltonbonce
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice needed Empty Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:13

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i've just been to a Hospital appointment, i have had blocked sinuses for years and have now been offered an operation to clear them.

The issue is that one of the side effects the Doctor mentioned was that it could affect the sight in my eye if they are too heavy handed or make a mistake, although the Doctor did say there was only a less than 1% chance of this happening.

As some of you know i only have sight in my left eye and the operation would be on my sinuses on the left side of my face, so if something did go wrong i would be completely blind.

Mrs Pig thinks it's not worth the risk even at such a low percentage and i can see her point so do i live with my blocked sinuses or take the chance?

What would you do?

2Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:14

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Less than 1%.. nowt to worry about

3Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

that's what i thought but the wife is dead against it. Knowing my luck i would be the 1%

Do you like my new avatar by the way Boggers?  Laughing

4Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:25

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only just spotted that Very Happy

5Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:30

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What's their alternative solution if you decide against the op? Think I'd be tempted to try that first.

1% sounds like too much of a gamble to me, especially in your case. 1 in 100 people lose their sight after that procedure.

6Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Only you can decide this one mate, being your sight at risk.

I had a minor operation myself recently and was told there was a 1% chance that something horrible might happen to me but told them to go ahead anyway - and I'm still here.

I'm guessing any operation carries some form of risk and the hospitals have to cover themselves legally by pointing this out (and getting you to sign the forms of indemnity).

There is no doubt you will be fine if you go ahead but as I say only you can make that decision.

If things do turn out bad for you though I guess we could do a talkbook version of Nuts for you with Natasha voicing the women parts, Boggers playing the bad guy and Johnny providing the long silences!

Very Happy

(Only joking folks before it all kicks off again!)

7Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 16:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As Sluffy said,they have to cover themselves. I recently bought some cough linctus,and the possible side effects were on a list as long as your arm.
It's probably going to be fine,but it sows a seed of doubt that's hard to shake off.
Only you can decide. Taking medical advice from me wouldn't be the most sensible option.

8Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 17:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is an operation the only treatment?

Is there nothing else available alternative?

I'm guessing that this is much worse than taking a usual dose of sudafed or similar.

9Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 17:49

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i've tried courses of antibiotics and treatment with steroid drops and sprays. they work for a while then it comes back just the same. i use a saline solution to wash out my sinuses every morning which helps for a few hours then back to normal.

I'm going to have to think about it more i think, the op may not be for a few months so i have time to decide

10Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 19:52

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Not a nice position to be in. The big weigh up is the risk of the op going tits up or being able to put up with the problem period and keep your site., however low the risk. Nobody can make the decision for you, and your wife is right to be mithered, but it is your call.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

11Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 20:15

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Feel for you piggers. If someone sold you a lottery ticket with a 1% chance of winning, you'd discount it as not gonna happen. However, if the same 1% is applied to potentially losing your sight, it appears a huge risk. Like Soul Kitchen, I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

12Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 20:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:What would you do?

If the blocked sinuses were having an impact on my quality of life I would have the operation, absolutely no doubt.

If it was just a minor irritant I wouldn't bother.

I hope it works out for you, I'm sure it will.

p.s. have you considered the urine from the bedpans is causing your blocked sinuses? Ask for a promotion to pot washer.

13Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 21:21

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like Nat says depends how much of a problem it was

14Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 22:22

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

More risk from the Anesthetic.

15Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 22:41

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:What would you do?

I hope it works out for you, I'm sure it will.

p.s. have you considered the urine from the bedpans is causing your blocked sinuses? Ask for a promotion to pot washer.

Nat's softening up

16Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Wed Jan 25 2017, 22:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

thanks everyone. i'm going to mull it over for a while. It is irratating but i have been living with this for years and probably could continue to do so.

The thought of being blind does cross my mind from time to time anyway, that's one of the issues with only having sight in one eye, the dread of something happening to my good eye. I wouldn't want to miss seeing my kids growing up and becoming a burden (even more than now  Very Happy) to the long suffering Mrs Pig

17Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Thu Jan 26 2017, 07:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hope whatever you choose works for you. have you tried doing some research on the internet about the risks of the procedure? 1% sounds suspiciously like a rough estimate of the risk. Also some hospitals have better stats than others although I am not sure how you can find this out without asking someone in the medical profession.

18Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Thu Jan 26 2017, 12:37

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sorry I'm late to this, only just read it.

As everyone else has said, mate, it's your call and if I'm completely honest, if I were in your shoes, I'm not sure I'd take that gamble.

Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out well.

19Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed Thu Jan 26 2017, 14:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Hard one to call Mr Pig, but that's an incredibly low percentage. However, its your call, and I wish you well, whatever you decide.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum