Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's your favourite cheese?

+3
boltonbonce
Soul Kitchen
xmiles
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What's your favourite cheese? Empty What's your favourite cheese? Thu Jul 31 2014, 08:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

If there was only one cheese in the world it would have to be mature cheddar for me. Great taste and can be used in lots of ways with food. However my current favourite is Comte. It's a French cheese with a lovely nutty taste. You should definitely eat the rind on it for the full flavour.

2What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Thu Jul 31 2014, 08:27

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Not a big cheese fan but I do like White Cheshire. 
When having crackers with cheese I never put butter on first, can't see the point.

3What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Thu Jul 31 2014, 15:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lancashire or mature cheddar,with a couple of packets of Kracker wheat. Very Happy

4What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Thu Jul 31 2014, 15:45

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

To expand on my earlier comments, definitely no butter and either crusty bread or Carrs Water Biscuits are the perfect accompaniment.

5What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 00:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No piccalilli then?

6What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 07:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

karlypants wrote:No piccalilli then?

I love piccalilli (and a lot of other pickles and chutneys) but prefer it with ham.

7What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 15:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Lancashire or mature cheddar,with a couple of packets of Kracker wheat. Very Happy
I like a whole range of poncey foreign cheeses and am a total snob about cheese and food in general but I have a question that someone might be able to help me with.

Lancashire Crumbly. When I was a kid I remember it as being very crumbly (crumbling into chunks) with a slight ammonia and a good strength flavour. 
I've stopped buying it now but for years all there seemed to be was some bland boring shit that was not dissimilar to a white Cheddar or a poor Gloucester.

Does proper Lancashire Crumbly still exist? and if so, where can I get it?

8What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 15:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any good supermarket should sell the Dewlay Lancashire cheeses. The crumbly is probably my fave.
http://www.dewlay.com/ourcheeses

9What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 15:53

Try this lot:

http://www.grandma-singletons.co.uk/

I've never had it but a mate of mine swears by their stuff.

Personally, I'd never really noticed any perceptible change in Lancashire cheese from when I was a kid but he says this stuff is like "it used to be when he was growing up" 40 years ago.

Personally, I think it's a load of bollocks but it makes him happy.

10What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 15:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheap Cheese Starter:

Get a cheap Brie round in the wooden box (from any supermarket) (serves 2 to 3 so get more if needed)
Leave it in the fridge for at least 3 weeks, but up to 2 months - the longer you leave it, the more ammonia strength will develop. Three months is eye-wateringly strong in my experience - luvverly.

When you want an easy starter, open the box, take the brie out of the wax wrapping, rinse the inside of the wooden box under the tap to clean and moisten it, then put the brie back in the box. Chuck the lid and wrapping.

Cut 4 or 5 x 1 inch slices in the brie and insert whole garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary or thyme or similar. Rosemary is my fave.

Pour red wine over the top to fill the wooden box and holes. Bake in a medium oven for 8 to 10 mins so it's runny inside and nicely browned on top.

Serve with chunks of nice bread or whatever you like to dip into hot cheese (steady Magoo!)

11What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 15:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll stick with a cheese and piccalilly butty if you don't mind.

12What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Try this lot:

http://www.grandma-singletons.co.uk/

I've never had it but a mate of mine swears by their stuff.

Personally, I'd never really noticed any perceptible change in Lancashire cheese from when I was a kid but he says this stuff is like "it used to be when he was growing up" 40 years ago.

Personally, I think it's a load of bollocks but it makes him happy.

Cheers Bread.
When I had a restaurant in Manchester many moons ago I used to buy bulk cheeses from Singletons - they sent a delivery van every week. Never had them down as "speciality" as I'd buy 5 and 10 kilo blocks of "cooking cheddar" - but I guess "Grandma Singletons"  is their premium brand. I believe they are vegetarian cheeses i.e. they don't use an animal rennet if memory serves me correctly.
Given that they say it's aged 10 months, it probably does pack a punch like Lancy cheese should.

13What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:12

No problem.

If you want your tea to smell of ammonia (twice now you've implied that smelling strongly of ammonia is an appealing trait in your opinion), I will happily come round a wee on it if you want.

Seems a lot quicker than faffing about with it and leaving it in the fridge for two months......

In fact, if you give me a bit of notice, I can always drink something appropriate the night before and supply you with flavoured wee - Cider for an apple-based aroma or half a bottle of Kirsch if you want something a bit more fruity.

Just give us a shout, mate.

14What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:if you give me a bit of notice, I can always drink something appropriate the night before and supply you with flavoured wee - Cider for an apple-based aroma or half a bottle of Kirsch if you want something a bit more fruity.

Sounds fabulous. Do you do requests?

I particularly like the hint of almonds that emanates from cyanide-flavoured wee.

15What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:29

I am not drinking cyanide again!

I divorced that woman years ago and it took me a while to fully recover and I'm not going back!

16What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There are 3 types of rennet used in cheese;,animal,vegetable and microbial,the latter two making cheese suitable for veggies. I'm not aware that the type of rennet used makes any difference to the taste. 
Singletons is shite,tastes like Bread's already pissed on it. Stick an old woman on the box and you can sell anything. 'Aunt Bessie's' crinkle cut chips.What's all that about?

17What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I do love all kinds of cheeses but I do like strong cheeses like blue Stilton and Shropshire blue.

Anyone remember when ASDA used to sell those pick n mix cheeses years ago like 10 for £2 or something?

Used to always get a selection of those when I was a kid, most of them flavoured with stuff like fruit, smoked processed cheese etc, all pretty much shit if I remember.

18What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 16:58

How do you know I haven't already, Boncey.....?

I've described myself on here before as a "self-employed consultant working within the food manufacturing industry" but I've never actually revealed (before today) what that actually involved....

I was struggling to come up with a real "vocation" rather than just a job then, one day, I overheard someone say "Ha! That's pissed on his chips!" and I had my eureka moment.

I can get you in if you like....

19What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 17:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I presume this is one of yours,Bread!
What's your favourite cheese? Article-1279806-09A92C37000005DC-778_634x312

20What's your favourite cheese? Empty Re: What's your favourite cheese? Fri Aug 01 2014, 17:09

That costs extra because there's a lot more effort involved on my part......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum