Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough

+27
Hipster_Nebula
cairocuz
Tigermin
Vendor
Keegan
observer
Sluffy
BoltonTillIDie
scottjames30
Numpty 28723
Barryjw
doffcocker
Norpig
Soul Kitchen
bryan458
Reebok_Rebel
boltonbonce
karlypants
wanderlust
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
aaron_bwfc
Boggersbelief
Banks of the Croal
Bwfceggy
Bolton Nuts
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

121Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 12:55

We've conceded seven goals in three games.

We've scored three.

That's worrying.

And you can't just keep putting it down to individual lapses in concentration and errors.

Collectively at the back we look poor.

But, hang on, I thought he'd sorted this out last season and brought in "better" quality during the summer?

He's got largely his "own" defenders in now but we're still shite.

We are going backwards.......again.

122Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 12:56

okocha wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:The point is that they're cheaper Okocha. 

I'd also argue that Feeney, Beckford, Cravies are of more use than Eagles, N'gog, Sordell.

I'd still argue that on his budget he's done very well for recruitment, both in terms of players out and in. I think there are two major problems at the moment - 

1. Not enough investment to be able to fully overhaul an unbalanced/not good enough squad.
2. Tactics on the whole, too much chopping and changing for me. We need to stick with a lineup and formation, be it slightly cautious or not the players need to learn a system because at the moment changing it every game can't help with gelling together. 

Yesterday didn't sound like the worst performance in the world, with some better fortune we may have got something. But it's the same old story at the moment. I think Sluffy's right and we'll be relying on loans again, where Freedman's eye for talent has got us out of shit every season so far.
False economy if they get us relegated.
Also, don't agree with you about the relative merits of the players you mention. Managed properly, Eagles, Ngog and Sordell  are ex prem players with much more potential and skill. I bet BSA would have found ways to utilise them to the max.

Ex-Prem players?! Sordell has played about 10 minutes premier league football in his life, how did you come to that conclusion.

Eagles? One season each for Burnley and Bolton, never set the world alight and clearly not a premier league player.

N'gog? Premier league player? Don't make me laugh.

123Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:14

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The fact is they played in the prem. I didn't say they were outstanding prem quality, but obviously they have/had something about them that could have been nurtured, given the right management and coaching. Clearly more innate ability than those who've only ever plied their trade in the lower reaches. You can't argue with that.......or can you? I expect so!

124Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:15

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

okocha wrote:The fact is they played in the prem. I didn't say they were outstanding prem quality, but obviously they have/had something about them that could have been nurtured, given the right management and coaching. Clearly more innate ability than those who've only ever plied their trade in the lower reaches. You can't argue with that.......or can you? I expect so!
1874 argues with himself in the mirror!

125Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is no way Eagles and Ngog are prem quality, I don't really think Sordell is TBH.

It says a lot due to the fact Ngog & Eagles can't find a club!!!

126Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:19

But by that logic the fact somebody (Coyle) has made a mistake in signing them for a premier league team automatically means they're better than any championship player who wasn't so lucky? Which is complete bollocks Im afraid. N'gog and Eagles are still free agents, I'd say that says more about their innate ability.

127Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:19

karlypants wrote:There is no way Eagles and Ngog are prem quality, I don't really think Sordell is TBH.

It says a lot due to the fact Ngog & Eagles can't find a club!!!

Exactly.

128Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:28

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Can't defend N'gog as he had so many chances and was ultimately crap, but Eagles WAS a prem player. He shone at Burnley in their cup run and promotion campaign and has played well for us previously. Also you are forgetting that Dougie wanted to build a team around Eagles so even he must of thought he was good, he just couldn't get the best out of him. If that's a motivation issue then it falls at the feet of the manager.

A good manager can get more out of players. Its becoming more evident to the masses that DF is anything but a good manager.

129Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:31

Eagles has never performed in the premier league, so can never be regarded as premier league quality. 

Simple as that.

130Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JAH wrote:Also you are forgetting that Dougie wanted to build a team around Eagles so even he must of thought he was good
Dougie doesn't know what he's doing and is running out of ideas fast.

131Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eagles was a good Championship player, far and away our best player in the 2012/13 season.

The only reason he hasn't found a club is he's a greedy bastard - if he was after reasonable wages there would be a queue of clubs.

132Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:49

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

bwfc1874 wrote:Eagles has never performed in the premier league, so can never be regarded as premier league quality. 

Simple as that.

The stats say otherwise

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

133Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:54

You won't find a Burnley or Bolton fan that thinks Eagles was successful in the premier league.

All you've done there is prove he's played in the premier league, which proves nothing.

134Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:We've conceded seven goals in three games.

We've scored three.

That's worrying.

And you can't just keep putting it down to individual lapses in concentration and errors.

Collectively at the back we look poor.

But, hang on, I thought he'd sorted this out last season and brought in "better" quality during the summer?

He's got largely his "own" defenders in now but we're still shite.

We are going backwards.......again.

Technically speaking, every goal is avoidable but any honest person would recognise that sometimes an attacking team "earns" a goal and by that I mean a well-worked set piece, a flowing move well finished, a shot into the top corner etc. I'm talking about the goal being more down to the attacking teams skill and effort than the defending teams incompetence.
Of the 7 goals we've conceded I reckon 4 were entirely down to bad defending and the other 3 were due to a mixture of bad defending and good attacking.
But I'm struggling to think of any of those goals where you could honestly say "Wow. That was a great goal. Fair play to the opposition."

It was interesting to see that Dougie decided to go with a different one of the several systems he claims to have been drilling into the squad over the summer. It shows that he recognises that 4231 has been worked out and that opposition will go over the top of it (Watford) or round the side of it (Forest) so the 2 defensive mids are marginalised. However there's a big difference between seeing that something isn't working and finding an alternative that does work. We'll see what next week brings but I'd be surprised if there aren't more changes.

135Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 14:00

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

bwfc1874 wrote:You won't find a Burnley or Bolton fan that thinks Eagles was successful in the premier league.

All you've done there is prove he's played in the premier league, which proves nothing.

Well that's what you asked. Your memory seems to be going old timer, so let me remind you:

"Eagles has never performed in the premier league, so can never be regarded as premier league quality. 

Simple as that."

I have proved that he did perform in the Premier League and what's more he scored a few goals to boot! I could put up his stats for the Championship which over the years is even more impressive, but you didn't state Eagles has never performed in the Championship. Are we making progress?

136Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Wed Aug 20 2014, 14:03

You know exactly what I meant, if you didn't then I'm worried for you and anybody you're related to.

137Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Thu Aug 21 2014, 02:51

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I just watched Joey Obrien, Nobby Nolan & VazTe all playing prem footy for West Ham.....I'd argue Eagles is better than all three of them for starters.

138Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough - Page 7 Empty Re: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 M'brough Sat Aug 23 2014, 11:19

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

terenceanne wrote:I just watched Joey Obrien, Nobby Nolan & VazTe all playing prem footy for West Ham.....I'd argue Eagles is better than all three of them for starters.
My ninety-six year old grandma is better than those three are now mate. Not a fair comparison really. But I agree Eagles had a lot of quality, he just lacked the spirit to produce it consistently at this level. He was something of a "luxury" player, capable of moments of brilliance but lazy most of the time and in a club like ours with such thin resources we couldn't afford a man like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum