Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Overrated Politician

+10
Copper Dragon
Alf Hooker
bwfc71
okocha
karlypants
boltonbonce
Norpig
Pevensey Pete
Reebok Trotter
xmiles
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Most Overrated Politician Empty Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

2Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 10:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All of them. I can't think of a single one who has consistently delivered on any of the pledges they made before they got into power.

3Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 11:00

Absolute shite of the highest order.

Tony Benn was a great man and an outstanding conviction politician.

Even that piece in the Mail (of all places) pays tribute to him, despite its readership using it as an opportunity to throw stones in the comment section.

If we are talking genuinely overrated politicians, look no further than Tony Blair.

Yes, his role in making "New Labour" electable was successful in ousting the Tories, but what's his legacy....?

Take a look at the Middle East and you'll find your answer.

Special Peace Envoy?

Fuck me.........

4Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 11:57

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

And Tony Benn achieved what exactly?

If you asked me which politician I despised most Tony Blair would be a strong candidate but he was an effective politician. Benn on the other hand was a completely ineffective politician

5Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 12:10

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Wedgewood

6Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 13:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

they're all clowns of the highest order but a special mention must go to the witch Maggie Thatcher.

7Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 13:31

xmiles wrote:And Tony Benn achieved what exactly?

This is going to sound trite, but he inspired the 18 year old me to study politics at university.

Not sure Blair would have had the same effect......

8Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 13:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Benn was a top man and a 'conviction' politician.
He didn't need a focus group to tell him how to think.
Would that there were more of his ilk.

9Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 13:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cliff Morris anyone?

10Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 14:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Cliff Morris anyone?
affraid

11Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 15:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Breadman wrote:
xmiles wrote:And Tony Benn achieved what exactly?

This is going to sound trite, but he inspired the 18 year old me to study politics at university.

Not sure Blair would have had the same effect......

Fair enough, but in general rather than personal terms, what did Benn ever achieve?

12Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 15:06

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:Benn was a 'conviction' politician.

So was Michael Foot but people just think he was a joke. What's the difference?

13Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 15:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

14Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:06

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Blair's legacy? Civilising influences:- the massive achievement of peace in Northern Ireland, abolition of fox-hunting and banning smoking in public places....etc.

An extremely articulate, intelligent orator and debater: I won't forget, for example, his superlative speech at Diana's funeral and his persuasive, logical, well-reasoned arguments in the face of fierce questioning in the House and on TV. He makes today's politicians sound like bumbling buffoons by comparison.

A man who did what he genuinely thought was right according to his faith and principles, he did not act simply for the purpose of winning public acclaim as the present leaders are doing: the Iraq invasion was one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" dilemmas based on the intelligence he was given. 

Having seen an interview with an Iraqi woman who told of womenfolk being rounded up and forced to applaud as their male relatives were tortured and murdered in their thousands in front of their eyes, it would have been sinful to stand by and do nothing as we did re Rwanda. The world has to be rid of cruel tyrants who oppress their powerless people....and someone has to take the lead, as we see all too clearly today.
The lack of a plan in the aftermath was USA's failing.

15Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:08

Utter shite, every word.......

I actually thought you were being serious until I read the bit about his Diana speech.......

Last edited by Breadman on Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:10; edited 1 time in total

16Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:09

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nigel Farrage - the biggest bellend since Adolf Hitler!

17Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Blair was a snake oil salesman par excellence.

18Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:22

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Breadman, I normally find your posts interesting, intelligent and often amusing, so I was expecting a bit more substance to your counter-argument on Blair than simply to offer the words "utter shite" as your best shot.

19Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:39

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Blair's legacy? Civilising influences:- the massive achievement of peace in Northern Ireland, abolition of fox-hunting and banning smoking in public places....etc.

An extremely articulate, intelligent orator and debater: I won't forget, for example, his superlative speech at Diana's funeral and his persuasive, logical, well-reasoned arguments in the face of fierce questioning in the House and on TV. He makes today's politicians sound like bumbling buffoons by comparison.

A man who did what he genuinely thought was right according to his faith and principles, he did not act simply for the purpose of winning public acclaim as the present leaders are doing: the Iraq invasion was one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" dilemmas based on the intelligence he was given. 

Having seen an interview with an Iraqi woman who told of womenfolk being rounded up and forced to applaud as their male relatives were tortured and murdered in their thousands in front of their eyes, it would have been sinful to stand by and do nothing as we did re Rwanda. The world has to be rid of cruel tyrants who oppress their powerless people....and someone has to take the lead, as we see all too clearly today.
The lack of a plan in the aftermath was USA's failing.

Jesus H Christ..... are you being serious Okocha ? This is a man whose wife Cherie made a bloody good living as a human rights lawyer pursuing spurious cases while her husband was espousing the virtues of good old British justice. Getting in bed with Aussie conman Peter Foster to buy properties in Bristol and avoid paying the tax is just one example of the double standards.
What about the scandal of the MMR jab and the fact that one Doctor claimed it was the cause of ADHD, Aspergers and Autism in some cases?
When Leo was born, Blair was asked the question, " Did Leo have the MMR jab ?"
His response, " That is a private matter."
You can read into that what you like but I reckon if Leo had been given the MMR then Blair would have been quick to report the fact.
Blair started out with the best intentions based on his Labour values but he virtually abandoned all his principles over the course of his leadership.
I'll give him his due. He does talk a good tale, but that's about it.

20Most Overrated Politician Empty Re: Most Overrated Politician Wed Oct 08 2014, 23:03

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

okocha wrote:Breadman, I normally find your posts interesting, intelligent and often amusing, so I was expecting a bit more substance to your counter-argument on Blair than simply to offer the words "utter shite" as your best shot.

But concise and accurate

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum