Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superbowl XLIX

+7
scottjames30
wanderlust
Hip Priest
observer
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
Bwfc1958
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Superbowl XLIX Empty Superbowl XLIX Thu Jan 29 2015, 21:14

Ive watched a bit of NFL in my time, if I'm in the mood Iv found it quite enjoyable, but I've never watched a full superbowl- because it's on at a ridiculous time.

This years different though, iv joined my NFL fanatic friends, booked Monday off work and bought tickets to a bar to watch it. 

It's Patriots vs Seahawks apparently, I think there are some NFL fans here, so anybody got any knowledge to share? I'd like to put a few bets on so I don't get bored, any tips?

2Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Thu Jan 29 2015, 21:23

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Bread is your man. He's tried explaining it to me one time but it doesn't make sense and a game takes forever. It's just rugby for pussies. Helmets and shoulder pads and all that bollocks. 
All I know is a big bloke throws the ball really far and another big bloke tries to catch it. Not for me I'm afraid.

I thought there was already a thread for this?

3Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Thu Jan 29 2015, 22:15

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm more of a rugby man myself. I got into the Superbowl when it was first aired way back when on Channel 4 and the Chicago Bears won it. They had this huge dude called William ' The Fridge ' Perry who looked nothing like any athlete I had ever seen before. The main man back then was Walter Payton who was a running back and scored loads of touchdowns. The hardest part for me to get my head round was the fact that the forwards were not allowed to pass the ball to another of their team members. It's a bit like Netball with testosterone.

4Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Thu Jan 29 2015, 22:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Love NFL,but don't bother looking for advice from Bread.
He supports the Redskins,and is therefore clueless.

5Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Thu Jan 29 2015, 22:46

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Explanation of the Superbowl from a Brit:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-superbowl-analysed-by-a-briton-whos-never-seen-american#.nyWEGDkWq

Essentially you have 22 men on the field. Like rugby they beat the crap out of each other. Unlike real life, they rarely go to jail for it.  Many weigh 300-400 pounds or 21-18 stone. They range in height from 5'4" to 7'0" or 162 cm to 213 cm. They eat plenty of food and if you stand in their way, they may eat or beat you.  Many are wife beaters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbwTMJroTbI).  Some are just animal abusers (http://aldf.org/resources/laws-cases/animal-fighting-case-study-michael-vick/).  Legally they pass the ball, run with the ball and often kick the ball.  Sometimes they kick your balls, but that is a penalty. 

In real life, many go to jail... but not for their actions on the field. (http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/)

Those who don't go to jail, make lots of money.  A recent 7 year deal was for £84,000,00.
(http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-players-nfl-2014-9)

Sadly, no one on the forum other than Nat, could possibly come close to their salaries.

Oh yes, the game last 3 hours with a 1/2 hour halftime featuring huge rock stars (this year Katy Perry and Lenny Kravitz).  The pregame show on the network lasts for days.  The post show will be short as the premier television spot is on the network following the Superbowl.

If New England wins, it will be known at the Deflate Gate victory.  Today mathematicians are looking carefully at why New England does not fumble the ball often.
(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-triggers-stat-spat-as-analysts-attempt-to-solve-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html)

What else is there to do for mathematicians?  Measure Katy Perry?  Okay!

That's the Superbowl in a nutshell.  Give me Wembley Stadium and a chance to return to the EPL and I'll watch that instead.  We can hope!

6Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 00:39

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'll be glued to it as I'm an NFL addict. Can't offer anything in the way of good bets though as it's being contested by two excellent teams,both with top of the range Quarter backs and it's going to be a really close game that should go down to the wire. I think the Seahawks will just shade it myself.

7Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 08:56

boltonbonce wrote:Love NFL,but don't bother looking for advice from Bread.
He supports the Redskins,and is therefore clueless.

It's all part of Dan "Even Worse Than Gartside" Schneider's genius plan to secure some early draft picks for next season.

Why else would he have let Gruden keep starting a QB with only one leg?

Play shit, lose loads, finish 4 and 12.....and secure some early picks.

As for Sunday, I can't see past a win for Seattle.

If they get the Wilson / Lynch combo firing, they will put up the numbers.

My beer's been chilling in the shed for weeks and as I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve, I'm looking forward to it.

Seahawks by ten.

8Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 09:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:The hardest part for me to get my head round was the fact that the forwards were not allowed to pass the ball to another of their team members.

Sorry to be nerdy but there are circumstances when they can pass to another team member e.g. the flea flicker however the first receiver e.g. a running back can't cross the line of scrimmage before he throws it back to the QB who can then throw to e.g. a wide receiver upfield. Possession is the name of the game so this is considered a very high risk strategy and therefore isn't seen often.

9Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 10:04

....you can, however, still pass the ball to a team mate after you have crossed the line of scrimmage, provided the ball is not passed forward.

It can go backwards (as in Rugby) or it can go sideways (a "lateral" as it is known).

But as Lusty says, this is seen as being an incredibly risky move so you only really see it in death or glory situations.

(Not to be confused with a "Hail Mary" pass. That's something altogether different.)

10Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 10:15

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Oh shit. Everyone's turned Scouse again. I can't understand a word anybody's saying. Have I accidentally changed my forum language settings?

11Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 10:18

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its got to be the panthers.

12Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Fri Jan 30 2015, 10:19

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pains me to say it but I hope the Patriots win, can't stand Seattle. Probably be a tight game but I thought that last year too.

13Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

14Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:22

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

15Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not this shit again! :facepalm:

16Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:34

I'm sat here wearing my Redskins RG3 jersey and 'Skins helmet, beer in hand, scoffing nachos and nuts.

This is gonna be awesome!

Go Hawks!

USA!     USA!     USA!

17Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're the man! cheers

18Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:38

Proper football, this.

19Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good stuff. Just hope those Newcastle supporters aren't there again.
They seem to be at every game,running onto the field at  the drop of a hat throwing yellow dusters at the players. Should have been sorted out years ago.Superbowl XLIX Football-running-smiley-emoticon

Last edited by boltonbonce on Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:45; edited 1 time in total

20Superbowl XLIX Empty Re: Superbowl XLIX Sun Feb 01 2015, 22:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I'm sat here wearing my Redskins RG3 jersey and 'Skins helmet, beer in hand, scoffing nachos and nuts.

This is gonna be awesome!

Go Hawks!

USA!     USA!     USA!
I suppose there isn't much else to do in your travel tavern is there! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next