Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Transfer Window

+26
Numpty 28723
inf
HarveyKorman
Lyric Todkill
chris_bwfc
Angry Dad
bwfc71
Lofty_Love
gloswhite
xmiles
chipbutty
rammywhite
Mallorca Trotter
Michael Bolton
TheHateCamel
Keegan
aaron_bwfc
Reebok_Rebel
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
largehat
Sluffy
Copper Dragon
wanderlust
terenceanne
Hipster_Nebula
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 19]

41Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 07:02

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think it would be great if we could rebuild he squad using good young players from the lower league- but we don't seem to have much of a track record for doing this- especially the current manager. As for buying them because they might have a resale value seems a recipe for disaster. We need players to stay and give some some sort of consistency to the team if we are to regain and maintain premiership status. Any decent younger player in the lower divisions is well known to all league clubs through their scouting activities - and we are now no longer a major player in attracting these young players -they'd rather go to middle ranking prem outfits. I hope that I'm wrong,but so far Coyles attempts to rebuild from below don't bear the hallmarks of success. Will the likes of Mears,Eagles,Pratley get us back? And more importantly keep us there? I don't think so- so he needs to rethink his acquisition strategies.

42Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 09:10

Resale value doesn't necessarily mean we have to sell them quickly Rammy, just that we aren't going to buy players who will be retiring/ no good by the end of their big contracts. Instead we have players, on less money, who if they do decide to move on we can get a fee for and buy the next batch, that's how to run a football club sustainably, not a recipe for disaster.

Dropping out of the premier league doesn't mean we won't be able to attract players from league one or from clubs who won't be challenging for promotion, look at West Ham they got Nicky Maynard and Vaz Te last year, players will still want to move to us because we're expected to be challenging.

Think it's hard to judge Mears, Only saw him against norwich and he was okay. As for Pratley and Eagles, I think they were brought to offer competition for places and pad out a squad that had looked badly exposed at the end of the previous season. Had Holden and Lee not got injured we would of seen far less of both of them.

43Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 12:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any news about the CB mentioned earlier? I read Connolly is off which is a shame if true seeing as he meets all the criteria.
Adam Clayton is fine, but surely we need defenders more the midfielders having just been relegated on the basis of not being able to defend a lead.
With Wheater out for most of next season, I reckon we need 2 CBs minimum.

44Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 12:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well according to Nixon Adam Clayton is not on our radar.

Shame.

I suspect we will take another look at Rhys Williams, clearly Coyle is a big admirer but he will cost big money. Perhaps the money will be raised by selling an asset?

45Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 12:21

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

The bolton news are running the story about Rhodes, I think it's just lazy journalism on their part personally.

Wanderers are being linked with a £3.5million swoop for the country’s leading marksman, Jordan Rhodes.

The Huddersfield Town hot shot has scored 40 goals in 45 games this season to capture the attention of a host of Premier League clubs.

Norwich, Wigan, Aston Villa and West Ham are all understood to be monitoring the League One star, but Fulham are believed to have a firm interest.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

46Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 12:24

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The key phrase is "are being linked..." it's not them doing the linking it's others and as we know there is no truth in it at all.

47Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 13:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Rivaldo anyone?

48Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Mon May 21 2012, 15:52

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Al-Habsi - well matter of opinion, you can't compare goalkeepers to outfield players so I'll give you that one.

Elmander - nothing we could do to keep him, he was not sold, and he certainly wasn't one of our best three players.

Cahill - we didn't sell him in the Summer either, but of course we tried to sell him he had 1 year left on his contract and wouldn't sign a new one. £17.5m is a lot of money for a club our size. But anyway, it didn't happen in the Summer, so to be fair, you were incorrect when you said we sold our three best players then.

There are lots of valid and fair criticisms of the club's transfer policy/activities over the last 12 months you could criticise, but that isn't one.

49Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Wed May 23 2012, 12:39

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Sky Sports understands Newcastle, Bolton and Celtic are all chasing highly-rated Hartlepool youngster Luke James.

Midfielder James has enjoyed a breakthrough campaign with the Pools in League One this season, notching up 19 appearances after making his senior debut off the bench against Colchester in December.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

50Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Fri May 25 2012, 03:56

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Initial reports suggest that young James is too 'lightweight for the Championship' and that he will struggle in the npower Championship.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

51Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Fri May 25 2012, 18:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sounds like our manager, sign him up.

52Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Fri May 25 2012, 18:36

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I hope OC is watching the Toulon Tournament - excellent young players just itching to get a European contract.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

53Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 16:12

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

largehat wrote:

Cahill - we didn't sell him in the Summer either, but of course we tried to sell him he had 1 year left on his contract and wouldn't sign a new one. £17.5m is a lot of money for a club our size. But anyway, it didn't happen in the Summer, so to be fair, you were incorrect when you said we sold our three best players then.

I wonder if clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd are kicking themselves about Cahill? Last summer we wanted to sell, we kept making it clear he was for sale but Arsenal in particular were refusing to pay around £12m that we wanted. Liverpool were apparently interested but were put off by the asking price (even though they paid £20m for Henderson and £35m for Carol). Cahill has proved to be one of the signings of last season at £5m - £5m jesus - you can't buy shit for that. He defended amazingly in Chelsea's champions league run. I hope those clubs are kicking themselves because he is still only 26 years old, an England international, great on the ball, quality defender. I hate it when big clubs refuse to pay a fair price for players.

54Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 17:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Michael Bolton wrote:
largehat wrote:

I wonder if clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd are kicking themselves about Cahill? Last summer we wanted to sell, we kept making it clear he was for sale but Arsenal in particular were refusing to pay around £12m that we wanted. Liverpool were apparently interested but were put off by the asking price (even though they paid £20m for Henderson and £35m for Carol). Cahill has proved to be one of the signings of last season at £5m - £5m jesus - you can't buy shit for that. He defended amazingly in Chelsea's champions league run. I hope those clubs are kicking themselves because he is still only 26 years old, an England international, great on the ball, quality defender. I hate it when big clubs refuse to pay a fair price for players.

We never seem to get a fair price for our best players let alone ridiculous amounts like the Henderson and Carroll signings.

55Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 18:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:

I don't agree, we got a more than fair price for him.

Cahill is an average defender. He was given a torrid time in the Champions League final, but Bayern's finishing was truly woeful. 6-0 to Bayern would not have flattered them.

If we'd had Wheater/Ream for the whole season we wouldn't have gone down.

56Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 19:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

No

57Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 19:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

No

We were a better team after Ream got in the team.

58Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 19:34

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

yeah, but we still weren't that good. Wheater will be more accustomed to the rough and tumble of the Championship, but Ream is still an unknown quantity as far as I am concerned.

59Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 19:58

Keegan wrote:I hope OC is watching the Toulon Tournament - excellent young players just itching to get a European contract.

He'll be watching Tom & Jerry, it's about his level. Anyway, must dash as I'm off to put my length round Blackburn town centre.

60Summer Transfer Window - Page 3 Empty Re: Summer Transfer Window Sat May 26 2012, 20:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
We were a better team after Ream got in the team.

You're a poet and you don't know it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum