Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Here comes the Summer but I don't think it will be bright for BWFC

+14
wessy
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
karlypants
terenceanne
Banks of the Croal
Keegan
bryan458
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
observer
Natasha Whittam
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

OK, the season is over and frankly I feel quite relieved by that. Normally I would feel excited by the summer, I'd look forward to seeing who we're chasing and who comes in and who leaves. However the last several transfer windows have shown us that we're not going to be major players in the market. I don't think that situation will improve this summer, in fact I think it's going to be worse, possibly much, much worse.

Personally I think we're going to have several problems this summer, starting with a lack of money to buy anyone good OR pay high enough wages to attract good players to us. We just aren't a club that looks like success is just around the corner and it may be years before we are with the numbers being bandied around (eg 182 million in debt now according to some sources). 

So a rebuild of the squad is going to have to be done either from within (the development squad etc) or on the very, very cheap from without piece by piece rather than a wholesale restructure which is what I believe we need and desperately. 

Add in the uncertainty about Eddie. (is he selling us or not?) There have been reports that he didn't pay the last set of wages and the Warburton family lent us the money. If that's the case then can he still fund anything and if so does he want to? 

I suspect we're going to be at best a mid-table Championship club until we find a new owner and chairman or some sort of miracle happens akin to Man Utd's 'Class of 92' from our youth team. (Which is about as likely as me becoming the next President of the USA in my opinion).

I realise I sound very pessimistic right now but I truly feel not even Neil Lennon will be able to make us promotion contenders next season unless there are major changes behind the scenes. Perhaps in a few days I'll feel more optimistic. I rate Neil as a manager highly but the fact he signed Eidur and Emile on contracts for next term suggests to me he's so short of funds and options that he had no choice. It also suggested that he doesn't feel the 'fringe' players from the Development Squad are going to be ready, at least not for the start of next term. I foresee difficult days ahead. We've seen them before though and I think we'll get through these too but I'm not confident that it will happen overnight or even in the next two or three years.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think we'll be ace next season. Clough, Clayton and Le Fondre running riot upfront. Titus Bramble holding it all together at the back.

Sign a captain, a leader, a hardman and we'll finish top 6.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:OK, the season is over and frankly I feel quite relieved by that. Normally I would feel excited by the summer, I'd look forward to seeing who we're chasing and who comes in and who leaves. However the last several transfer windows have shown us that we're not going to be major players in the market. I don't think that situation will improve this summer, in fact I think it's going to be worse, possibly much, much worse.

Personally I think we're going to have several problems this summer, starting with a lack of money to buy anyone good OR pay high enough wages to attract good players to us. We just aren't a club that looks like success is just around the corner and it may be years before we are with the numbers being bandied around (eg 182 million in debt now according to some sources). 

So a rebuild of the squad is going to have to be done either from within (the development squad etc) or on the very, very cheap from without piece by piece rather than a wholesale restructure which is what I believe we need and desperately. 

Add in the uncertainty about Eddie. (is he selling us or not?) There have been reports that he didn't pay the last set of wages and the Warburton family lent us the money. If that's the case then can he still fund anything and if so does he want to? 

I suspect we're going to be at best a mid-table Championship club until we find a new owner and chairman or some sort of miracle happens akin to Man Utd's 'Class of 92' from our youth team. (Which is about as likely as me becoming the next President of the USA in my opinion).

I realise I sound very pessimistic right now but I truly feel not even Neil Lennon will be able to make us promotion contenders next season unless there are major changes behind the scenes. Perhaps in a few days I'll feel more optimistic. I rate Neil as a manager highly but the fact he signed Eidur and Emile on contracts for next term suggests to me he's so short of funds and options that he had no choice. It also suggested that he doesn't feel the 'fringe' players from the Development Squad are going to be ready, at least not for the start of next term. I foresee difficult days ahead. We've seen them before though and I think we'll get through these too but I'm not confident that it will happen overnight or even in the next two or three years.
Always comes down to money, but you have to hope Lennon finds some talent who can join some of our youngsters.  Before the injuries in January, it was actually fun to watch the club.  Unfortunately, we only remember the patched up squad that limped through the season.  Not one of us has any insight into the financials of the club, nor the continued patronage of ED.  Perhaps we should first find a good physio to monitor the health and conditioning of the players.  Next find a defense.  They haven't shown up for weeks which has mortified all of us... with late goals being only one of the letdowns.  I think Lennon has a good clue of what to do, but it's all up to his persuasiveness (much like BSA) to get the right players and have them go 90 minutes for us.  Seeing young men falling out after 60 minutes cannot be tolerated.  We did play well for long stretches and let's hope we can see that for a full season ahead.  No reason to be overly pessimistic, but hopefully Lennon will sort this all out and the ownership will be behind the effort.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think we'll be ace next season. Clough, Clayton and Le Fondre running riot upfront. Titus Bramble holding it all together at the back.

It doesn't happen all that often tbh but I kind of agree with this (not the Titus Bramble bit obviously).

Maybe it's being a little too optimistic but it's just the way I am. I reckon lennon can really get us going next year.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kevin Nolan anyone? will be let go by the hammers this summer.

Last edited by boltonbonce on Sun May 03 2015, 22:31; edited 1 time in total

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lennon will have the fans on his back after 10 games if we're not near the top 6 (we won't be) and he'll be sacked by Christmas after fan pressure. 

Billy Davies will be hired and have a decent finish in the mid table. 

The season after he will struggle and after 14 games will be sacked and replaced by Gerry Francis.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I share that view, I think fully fit we have a good core of players able to compete at the top of the table. Lennon needs to invest very wisely with little money he will have. midfield enforcer, goalscorer and an out and out winger are vital.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think we'll be ace next season. Clough, Clayton and Le Fondre running riot upfront. Titus Bramble holding it all together at the back.

all this apart from sign some decent defenders and shoot Titus Bramble bounce

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Lennon will have the fans on his back after 10 games if we're not near the top 6 (we won't be) and he'll be sacked by Christmas after fan pressure. 

Billy Davies will be hired and have a decent finish in the mid table. 

The season after he will struggle and after 14 games will be sacked and replaced by Gerry Francis.
I disagree. We will start the season like a house on fire, topping the table, being 15 points clear by Christmas. We'll be promoted by February and confirmed as champions by March. 

Everton will sack Martinez in the summer and will be replaced by Lennon.

We'll shock the football world by appointing Pep Guardiola, who will Leave Bayern Munich to look for a new challenge managing BWFC.

We will be champions of Europe within 2 years. I'm really looking forward to it, it should be good.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll have what he's having. Shocked

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

boltonbonce wrote:Kevin Nolan anyone? will be let go by the hammers this summer.
I would definitely have nobby back if we could afford the wages. A bit of steel and leadership and would bag a few goals as well.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'll have some of that, '58!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bwfc1958 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Kevin Nolan anyone? will be let go by the hammers this summer.
I would definitely have nobby back if we could afford the wages. A bit of steel and leadership and would bag a few goals as well.
Normally I don't think re-signing an old player is a good idea. They very rarely perform as well the second time around and I prefer to keep the memories. However, in this case I'd say a definite yes if Kevin was willing to come and I'd immediately re-appoint him as Captain. As a leader on the field he could well be invaluable. We haven't really had a truly inspirational skipper since he left and that's no offence to SKD. We need a skipper who will get in his team mate's faces and grab the under-performers by the scruff of the neck. For me if Kevin Nolan wanted to come back it would be a no-brainer.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

When Lennon came he made a impact right away, we saw it on the Pitch, players like CYL, Pratley and Max Clayton upped their game also he gave Clough his chance, who responded Brilliantly.

He got involved with the Community Visited I think Oxford rd. School and did The Fanzone, all great.

So now we think we have a Manager who's in touch with the fans.

Now we must move on to Results and better things for next Season.

Should've said thank fuck this Seasons over.

Last edited by Banks of the Croal on Sun May 03 2015, 23:26; edited 1 time in total

Banks of the Croal wrote:When Lennon came he made a impact right away, we saw it on the Pitch, players like CYL, Pratley and Max Clayton upped their game also he gave Clough his chance, who responded Brilliantly.

He got involved with the Community Visited I think Oxford rd. School and did The Fanzone, all great.

So now we think we have a Manager who's in touch with the fans.

Now we must move on to Results and better things for next Season.

Banksy, pop your head in on bonces thread, hea worried about you

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Nobby was crap when we got rid.  He has done well at West Ham until this season and Lennon knows nothing about him. So it's not happening IMO.
Also this nonsense about a hard man captain is nonsense for the most part.  We need talent and skill not more donkey's who are hard men.
I presume Oscar, Messi & Ronaldo would not be suitable since they are ponces Rolling Eyes

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

You don't agree that we are lacking a real leader on the pitch?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I certainly wouldn't mind Nolan back at our club for a season.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:I certainly wouldn't mind Nolan back at our club for a season.
He's still only 32 and I think given his style of play he could be good for two or maybe even three more years, especially at this level. And to those who think a 'hard man' captain is unnecessary I would only point to what has happened to this club since he left. Kevin Davies was a fine talisman and a great pro but he didn't have that same galvanising effect on players that Nolan has and as for those who've worn the armband since SKD left, well, frankly pee-wee herman could have done a better job. 

A captain is meant to be a leader on the field, the man all the others look to for an example, inspiration and when need direction. It needs a mentally tough individual willing to carry the team on his back if that's what it takes. Nolan is such a man and we don't have one right now.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

:agree:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum