Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Here comes the Summer but I don't think it will be bright for BWFC

+14
wessy
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
karlypants
terenceanne
Banks of the Croal
Keegan
bryan458
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
observer
Natasha Whittam
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I suspect Neil is doing a version of Big Sam this summer - but approaching players with no transfer fee attached instead of aging stars. Players like Sergi who is available on a free, Austin who is rumoured to be leaving Leeds anyway, and players of a similar ilk - cheap, hungry for success and willing to fight. Apart from Eidur and Emile, the next Bolton team we see in the Championship will be young, lean and mean. We're going to kick some ass next season, believe me.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

It'll be very interesting indeed to see how preseason goes after the disasters of the last couple of years. You've got to feel for the Forest fans and then just laugh at them as we felt that total despair throughout the last preseason that they will be feeling now.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:lusty, my memory may be playing tricks on me but didn't we have a player called Twardzik before? I'm sure I've heard that name connected to BWFC some years ago. 

I agree with you on Eidur and Emile, age is less of a factor than class and if they still have the desire to play they could offer us quite a lot next term. I'd also (very rarely for me) be quite keen on seeing whether or not Kevin Nolan would be willing to drop a division to come back since the Hammers are reportedly going to release him in summer. 

What's the deal with Rochinha? I thought that was a non-starter. Did I miss something in the club news? 

I don't think I'm being overly pessimistic when I say I can't see Neil being allowed to spend a lot if anything. If the last three years are anything to go by we'll see a lot more outs than ins this summer and on the surface that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if we exchange quantity (out) for quality (in). However our woeful track record with injuries suggests that having a really good starting eleven won't be anything like enough. I'm worried and make no apology for being so. 

I'd love to be wrong though. So here's hoping that Nat, you and the others who believe the future is so bright we all need to invest in sunglasses are right.
I think your memory is indeed playing tricks on you - no Twardzik as I recall although we have had central european players with similar names before. - Sasa CURCIC for example.
This is the kid from Celtic who is tipped to be a decent midfield battler who can pass but hasn't impressed massively since he arrived.
You say you are worried for next season but I'd save that until the season actually starts - no point in ruining the summer whilst the possibilities remain very open.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

You're right mate. It's the story from Feb when we signed him that I remembered but vaguely because we didn't really hear anything else after that. He did the usual 'prospect' trick of disappearing into the 'Development' Squad (otherwise known as the 'waiting to be loaned out to League 2 never to be heard from again squad') and I kind of forgot he existed. 

My advanced age is not catching up with me: It passed me by and left me behind back when that nice Mr Greaves signed that young kid called Reid. Very Happy

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Keegan wrote:I suspect Neil is doing a version of Big Sam this summer - but approaching players with no transfer fee attached instead of aging stars. Players like Sergi who is available on a free, Austin who is rumoured to be leaving Leeds anyway, and players of a similar ilk - cheap, hungry for success and willing to fight. Apart from Eidur and Emile, the next Bolton team we see in the Championship will be young, lean and mean. We're going to kick some ass next season, believe me.
More chance of Natalie Bennett offering David Cameron a bolw-job than there is of Austin rocking up at bolton. Wages will be an issue... a big one. He wont play for a pittance...

Fuck me Rebel, you really are a complete bellend. We're one of the highest payers in the division - part of the reason we're in this mess so if you're going to moan at least make some effort to make it factual. 

You're the type of person who seems to enjoy being shit on, so much so you invent situations that you can feel hard done by about, grow a pair.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Fuck me Rebel, you really are a complete bellend. We're one of the highest payers in the division - part of the reason we're in this mess so if you're going to moan at least make some effort to make it factual. 

You're the type of person who seems to enjoy being shit on, so much so you invent situations that you can feel hard done by about, grow a pair.
Can you back this information up with facts? We automatically release players earning a half decent wage regardless of how good they are or sell them... we have a history of doing it. I've invented nothing. The club is on its arse totally.

bwfc1874 wrote:Fuck me Rebel, you really are a complete bellend. We're one of the highest payers in the division - part of the reason we're in this mess so if you're going to moan at least make some effort to make it factual. 

But surely, the fact that Freedman and now Lennon have been tasked with getting the wage bill down, backs up Rebel's point?

You've sort of countered your own argument there by acknowledging that paying big wages has cost us in the past, so why would we continue to do so now, given that there's been so much emphasis on reducing the wage bill over the last couple of years?

scratch

ReebokRebel wrote:Can you back this information up with facts? We automatically release players earning a half decent wage regardless of how good they are or sell them... we have a history of doing it. I've invented nothing. The club is on its arse totally.

You're moaning about the club paying peanuts, the fact of the matter is we're one of the highest payers in the division. So yes you're talking complete bollocks, we got Baptiste ahead of Derby by offering him a massive contract, how do you explain that?

The club release players who don't justify a high wage, name one player who has been released that wanted to stay and we wanted to keep but we couldn't afford to?

Last edited by bwfc1874 on Wed May 06 2015, 11:36; edited 1 time in total

Breadman wrote:

But surely, the fact that Freedman and now Lennon have been tasked with getting the wage bill down, backs up Rebel's point?

You've sort of countered your own argument there by acknowledging that paying big wages has cost us in the past, so why would we continue to do so now, given that there's been so much emphasis on reducing the wage bill over the last couple of years?

scratch

Rebel's suggesting we won't get the players we want because the club refuses to pay big wages. Which is complete nonsense, we pay big wages (Baptiste, Hall, Mills all signed in the championship all on good money). 

The club has reduced the wage bill to a more manageable level now, but rather than have it rising through the roof again we need to release players who don't justify their wages and sign those that do. For instance Cravies out, whoever in.

But again, surely the fact that just because we've paid big wages in the past doesn't mean we will continue to do so now?

Especially given the well documented need to reduce the wage bill?

Rebel does go over the top on occasion, but I can completely see where he's coming from on this one.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:You're moaning about the club paying peanuts, the fact of the matter is we're one of the highest payers in the division. So yes you're talking complete bollocks, we got Baptiste ahead of Derby by offering him a massive contract, how do you explain that?

The club release players who don't justify a high wage, name one player who has been released that wanted to stay and we wanted to keep but we couldn't afford to?
facts please...?

I have stated before that I have a friend who works on the HR team at Euxton, helps do accounts and payroll for the entire staff... believe me, the wage budget we have is ridiculous even by championship standards, the ONLY reason and i mean the ONLY reason we have not signed a player we wanted was because of wage demands - some of them not massive by championship standards either. The club point blank refuse to pay the going rate for any player and have not done for years. I get the odd tit-bit of info from him and he is not a lair. 

For example... 

Klasnic would have come back to us, the stumbling block was that his parent club paid 60% of his wages when he was on loan, he wanted to sign and would have even took a cut in wages - but we wanted him to take a cut equivalent to the 60% his parent club was paying, plus another 10% on that... a 70% reduction in earnings. Would you work for 70% less pay? would you fuck. Hence, we didnt sign Klasnic.

I can't see it at all. Only in the last couple of years we've paid out big wages, we've had to reduce our wage bill but the revenue our club makes compared to most of this division is still much larger hence the wages we can offer are similarly large and still within FFP. 

Last year we took Dervite from Charlton because we could offer more money, same for Trotter and Feeney and Baptiste. 

The claim that we pay peanuts in wages is complete and utter guff, that's not an opinion it's a fact.

Reebok_Rebel wrote:facts please...?

I have stated before that I have a friend who works on the HR team at Euxton, helps do accounts and payroll for the entire staff... believe me, the wage budget we have is ridiculous even by championship standards, the ONLY reason and i mean the ONLY reason we have not signed a player we wanted was because of wage demands - some of them not massive by championship standards either. The club point blank refuse to pay the going rate for any player and have not done for years. I get the odd tit-bit of info from him and he is not a lair. 

For example... 

Klasnic would have come back to us, the stumbling block was that his parent club paid 60% of his wages when he was on loan, he wanted to sign and would have even took a cut in wages - but we wanted him to take a cut equivalent to the 60% his parent club was paying, plus another 10% on that... a 70% reduction in earnings. Would you work for 70% less pay? would you fuck. Hence, we didnt sign Klasnic.

We did sign Klasnic, he was on loan for one season and signed for us permanently after that. So that was a dreadful example to choose.

See my post above, all players we've pinched from other championship clubs because we've offered more money than they were on.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
The claim that we pay peanuts in wages is complete and utter guff, that's not an opinion it's a fact.
Link to the facts please? 

If these are facts... the information will be out there in the media somewhere.

Fine -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:facts please...?

For example... 

We did sign Klasnic, he was on loan for one season and signed for us permanently after that. So that was a dreadful example to choose.

See my post above, all players we've pinched from other championship clubs because we've offered more money than they were on.
We didn't. Wikipedia is wrong. 

Klasnic came for a second loan spell as we 'couldnt agree terms' with him - with a view to a permanent deal the following season when his Nantes contract was up. We got relegated, fans were told he would be vital to our push to get back to the prem... offered him ridiculous wages so he fucked off...

That data's two years old and refers to our first season after relegation from the Prem.

And since that time, everything at the club has been about slashing costs (including wages), so Rebel's point about not paying big wages for prospective new players now in 2015 still stands.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

for a club bandying around talk of promotion... 

Even though that article is from the bronze age... The 'wages as a percentage of turnover' figure is pathetic to be frank. 

Proves the club is more interested in serving the needs of its board members pockets than promotion.

Breadman wrote:That data's two years old and refers to our first season after relegation from the Prem.

And since that time, everything at the club has been about slashing costs (including wages), so Rebel's point about not paying big wages for prospective new players now in 2015 still stands.

The point is we don't pay a pittance in wages. Despite that data being a couple of years old there's absolutely no chance we've dropped from the top of that table to near the bottom. Surely you can agree with that?

Rebel's point about 2015 may be correct, we'll have to see but it flys in the face of all of the evidence. IE meeting Baptiste's wages demands (which Derby described as eye watering) or pinching Dervite from Charlton. 

We may not pay wages comparable to a premier league club, but compared to others who have been out of the premier league for 3 years or so we're about normal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum