Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice Please - Broadband

+4
Natasha Whittam
Mr Magoo
bwfc71
largehat
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice Please - Broadband Empty Advice Please - Broadband Mon May 21 2012, 16:39

I live a bit of a distance from the nearest telephone exchange so I'm told that's why I have such a poor broadband speed. I get 500kbps on a good day, usually much less. It means I can't download anything, and I long ago gave up watching anything on YouTube.

Is there anything I can do? If I swap ISPs surely I'll just have the same problem? I've looked into this satellite broadband system and it sounds ok on paper but does anyone have experience of it?

2Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Mon May 21 2012, 17:16

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This might sound like a stupid question, but have you checked whether you're in a Virgin Media area? Their broadband uses a totally different type of technology. Data is carried through fibre-optic cables rather than copper wire (ADSL) which every other broadband provider uses.

Try this: http://www.broadbandchecker.co.uk/

But don't put your phone number in, they might try and ring you if you do that.

3Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Mon May 21 2012, 18:38

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

largehat wrote:This might sound like a stupid question, but have you checked whether you're in a Virgin Media area? Their broadband uses a totally different type of technology. Data is carried through fibre-optic cables rather than copper wire (ADSL) which every other broadband provider uses.

Try this: http://www.broadbandchecker.co.uk/

But don't put your phone number in, they might try and ring you if you do that.

Thansk for the nifty link LH

4Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Mon May 21 2012, 19:01

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Speak to Zen internet, UK based i have been with the for 2 yrs, live in a small village in Devon, 7meg most of the time.

5Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sat Nov 26 2022, 18:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our Sky broadband contract is up for renewal in January, and, after eight years with them, I'm wondering if there might be something better. The reviews on other providers are somewhat mixed, so I turn to my fellow Nutters for advice.
What a tragic state of affairs.

6Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sat Nov 26 2022, 19:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I also have Sky Broadband, so I'd like you to move providers. No riff-raff.

7Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sat Nov 26 2022, 19:21

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I’ll with BT on Superfast broadband.  If you’re happy with sky then I’d suggest you call them and ask if they can do any deals (they usually do offer some sort of discount)

8Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sat Nov 26 2022, 20:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I also have Sky Broadband, so I'd like you to move providers. No riff-raff.
I'm happy enough with the service, but sometimes the grass seems greener and all that. Maybe it's better the devil you know. A mate of mine went over to Plusnet, and he's never off the phone with them.
I'm looking at EE, but they're owned by BT anyway, so maybe not. Choices, choices.

9Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sat Nov 26 2022, 21:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have 100mb broadband with virgin plus a 6gb sim for £17 per month.

You can’t beat the service or price!

10Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sun Nov 27 2022, 08:52

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I have high speed broadband with Sky and since I don’t use the internet on my phone much I pay £6 a month for 2GB data and free texts and phone calls. I’ve been with Sky for over 20 years and they’ve never let me down so I can’t comment on other providers I’m afraid.

11Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sun Nov 27 2022, 10:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:I have high speed broadband with Sky and since I don’t use the internet on my phone much I pay £6 a month for 2GB data and free texts and phone calls. I’ve been with Sky for over 20 years and they’ve never let me down so I can’t comment on other providers I’m afraid.
As expected, Sky have been in touch, offering various deals in an attempt to get me to agree a new contract. Not sure I'm going to play ball this time. The small print indicates that my monthly bill will increase to £52 in February.
That's a lot for just broadband and phone.

12Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sun Nov 27 2022, 10:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:I have high speed broadband with Sky and since I don’t use the internet on my phone much I pay £6 a month for 2GB data and free texts and phone calls. I’ve been with Sky for over 20 years and they’ve never let me down so I can’t comment on other providers I’m afraid.
As expected, Sky have been in touch, offering various deals in an attempt to get me to agree a new contract. Not sure I'm going to play ball this time. The small print indicates that my monthly bill will increase to £52 in February.
That's a lot for just broadband and phone.

That really is a lot! Shocked

Do you really need a landline phone? Why not just use your mobile to cut your bill?

I suspect you have never had a retention deal with it being so high.

13Advice Please - Broadband Empty Re: Advice Please - Broadband Sun Nov 27 2022, 14:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

That really is a lot! Shocked

Do you really need a landline phone? Why not just use your mobile to cut your bill?

I suspect you have never had a retention deal with it being so high.
I'm thinking of stringing some bean cans together.

Advice Please - Broadband Tin_phones-2

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum