Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers linked with move for Aberdeen striker Niall McGinn

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WANDERERS remain tight-lipped on reports linking the club with a move for Aberdeen striker Niall McGinn.

Speculation north of the border has suggested Whites boss Neil Lennon is interested in his Northern Irish compatriot who can also operate out wide and netted seven goals for the Dons last season.

International McGinn worked under Lennon during his time at Celtic and it was rumoured there was a tentative enquiry about signing the 27-year-old in the January transfer window.

It is unclear whether the interest in McGinn is concrete with a potential price tag of £500,000 for the player contracted at Pittodrie for two more years hardly fitting into the current financial restraints Lennon has at the Macron Stadium.

And there is also said to be interest from Leeds United with new boss Uwe Rosler also working with McGinn during his time in charge at Brentford when he was on loan from Celtic in 2011-12.

Another name linked with Wanderers in recent days is Barnsley player of the year Conor Hourihane, but again the likelihood of a fee could deter the Whites if, indeed, there is any interest.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/12973257.Wanderers_linked_with_move_for_Aberdeen_striker_Niall_McGinn/

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

So basically... we cant even afford 500 grand? 

Last paragraph is even more concerning... 'but again the likelihood of a fee could deter the Whites if, indeed, there is any interest.'

::seething2::

How the fuck are we even still operating as a business? 

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:So basically... we cant even afford 500 grand? 

Last paragraph is even more concerning... 'but again the likelihood of a fee could deter the Whites if, indeed, there is any interest.'

::seething2::

How the fuck are we even still operating as a business? 

With Clough and the other youngsters plus Madine if he signs another striker shouldn't really be a spending priority I'd have thought. Much better any available money goes where it's needed most.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lusty... 

Its not the striker thing that gets me, its the 500 grand comment. 

When a reasonably sized championship club cant afford to spend 500 grand, they are REALLY in the shit. 

Sugar coat it all you want, but its a fact. 500 grand in football club terms is peanuts.

I dont understand why this still surprises you Rebel. It's been obvious for years now, how long until it clicks?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It clicked about 4 years ago,

Im still entitled to seeth about it though...

Can't speak for Rebel but for me, it just feels like we're "properly" skint now.

We've been relatively skint for a while but there's always been money available for the odd permanent signing but the vibe I'm getting from the calibre and circumstances of the players we're being linked with is that the well has run completely dry.

It just feels different to how it's felt for the last couple of years.

You can be skint and still have a few bob knocking about but I honestly think we've reached the point where there is almost no money available for players.

It was bound to happen, the budget has to be reduced every year we're not in the Premier League until we're back to a manageable level. Davies clearly doesn't want to put another penny in - who can blame him - so we need to find good players on next to no money. 

Considering what we've spent money on in the past few years, Mills, Spearing, Beckford I think this is a much better strategy good players can be picked up on the cheap. Lennon needs to prove he's as good as the fans think now.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Davies clearly doesn't want to put another penny in - 

Well, If that's the case, and hes the 'Bolton supporting philanthropist' he's touted out to be, think its time he stopped trying to 'sell' us and just gave the club away to sombody with a bit of cash for the good of the club. 

As far as im concerned, if eddies skint, we need somebody who isnt skint to prevent us folding. 

Time to move over eddie, thanks for the ride.

Nobody in their right mind would write off a £180m debt to them and then give away the asset it was borrowed against.

The clubs not going to fold, the money's owed to him so there's absolutely no danger of that.

I thought you worked for your dad's business, surely this should be common sense to you?

bwfc1874 wrote:It was bound to happen, the budget has to be reduced every year we're not in the Premier League until we're back to a manageable level. Davies clearly doesn't want to put another penny in - who can blame him - so we need to find good players on next to no money. 

Considering what we've spent money on in the past few years, Mills, Spearing, Beckford I think this is a much better strategy good players can be picked up on the cheap. Lennon needs to prove he's as good as the fans think now.

I don't think it's a "good strategy", it is simply what it is.

The club's finances have been mismanaged for years and we are now paying the price for carrying one of the largest debts in world football.

And even describing it as a "strategy" implies that the people running the club have sat down and come up with this approach to try and move the club forwards, when the reality is, they've no choice in the matter and are being dictated to by the fact that the cash has finally run out.

I think you're being overly generous to Gartside and Davies in your phrasing of things.

The money's all gone and we're left scraping the bottom of the barrel, in the hope that Lennon can somehow cobble together a first team squad that is in some way capable of competing.

That's not strategic thinking, that's just having circumstances dictate your actions and if it wasn't for the people running BWFC having run up this ridiculous debt, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Nobody in their right mind would write off a £180m debt to them and then give away the asset it was borrowed against.

The clubs not going to fold, the money's owed to him so there's absolutely no danger of that.

I thought you worked for your dad's business, surely this should be common sense to you?
It is. 

However, I worry about what will happen when he eventually dies, his family are gonna want every penny... does that worry you? They will totally ruin us to recoup as much as they can. His kids are not interested in football one bit id assume, have we ever seen them at the Reebok?

I understand my above post is ruthless, but business is ruthless, we have to think of the club first and foremost, if that means destroying a couple of lives or pissing a few poeple off, then fine. 

Im not seeing my club fold because some snotty toff kids want to spend daddy's money... 

Its what will happen. If the Debt is owed to Eddie, its his kids when he is gone, first thing they will do is sell whatever has money tied up in it - the Stadium land and Middle-brook will be the first to be stripped, I really dont think they would care if it became a car park or boltons biggest mosque as long as they got some money... 

Thats my fear anyway.

Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:It was bound to happen, the budget has to be reduced every year we're not in the Premier League until we're back to a manageable level. Davies clearly doesn't want to put another penny in - who can blame him - so we need to find good players on next to no money. 

I don't think it's a "good strategy", it is simply what it is.

The club's finances have been mismanaged for years and we are now paying the price for carrying one of the largest debts in world football.

And even describing it as a "strategy" implies that the people running the club have sat down and come up with this approach to try and move the club forwards, when the reality is, they've no choice in the matter and are being dictated to by the fact that the cash has finally run out.

I think you're being overly generous to Gartside and Davies in your phrasing of things.

The money's all gone and we're left scraping the bottom of the barrel, in the hope that Lennon can somehow cobble together a first team squad that is in some way capable of competing.

That's not strategic thinking, that's just having circumstances dictate your actions and if it wasn't for the people running BWFC having run up this ridiculous debt, we wouldn't be in this mess.

All strategy should be dictated by circumstance, you're right we shouldn't be in this mess (I've never claimed otherwise) but we are, we have been for a few years now and it's pretty clear the club isn't going to sold anytime soon. 

So all I'm interested in is the manager doing the best with what he's got available to him - which compared to the rest of this league isn't that bad.

Assuming this story is true for a minute, the fact the club doesn't want to spend £500k on McGinn is just as likely due to what the club's valuation of him is rather than having pennies to spend. £500k for a 27 year old who's only ever been average is the kind of deal we've made over the past few years that has been shit. 

So if the club are actually working hard to scout the lower leagues and abroad to find us bargains who can actually surprise us or develop into decent championship players then that's a better strategy IMO, plenty of clubs have succeeded in the lower leagues doing that, I want to see us do it too.

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Nobody in their right mind would write off a £180m debt to them and then give away the asset it was borrowed against.

It is. 

However, I worry about what will happen when he eventually dies, his family are gonna want every penny... does that worry you? They will totally ruin us to recoup as much as they can. His kids are not interested in football one bit id assume, have we ever seen them at the Reebok?

I understand my above post is ruthless, but business is ruthless, we have to think of the club first and foremost, if that means destroying a couple of lives or pissing a few poeple off, then fine. 

Im not seeing my club fold because some snotty toff kids want to spend daddy's money... 

Its what will happen. If the Debt is owed to Eddie, its his kids when he is gone, first thing they will do is sell whatever has money tied up in it - the Stadium land and Middle-brook will be the first to be stripped, I really dont think they would care if it became a car park or boltons biggest mosque as long as they got some money... 

Thats my fear anyway.

You're post isn't ruthless in the slightest it's just over the top. You've no idea if his kids are bastards, or if they're interested in football and you wilfully ignore the 10 year loan repayment clause we already know about.

P.S You lost the right to call anybody a toff when you revealed you go hunting, drive a 4x4 and work in your dad's business.

Where has this idea come from that the money is owed exclusively to Davies?

It's owed to Moonshift Investments and I'd be amazed if ED is the only person with a financial interest in BWFC.

There must be other board members at Moonshift (who couldn't find Bolton with a map and a compass and have hardly any interest in Bolton Wanderers) because that's how venture capital investment companies work.

So whether it's Moonshift's other board members of Davies' kids, as soon as anything happens to him, that debt's getting called in and we're fucked.

Unless they sell before hand.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

It is. 

Thats my fear anyway.

You're post isn't ruthless in the slightest it's just over the top. You've no idea if his kids are bastards, or if they're interested in football and you wilfully ignore the 10 year loan repayment clause we already know about.

P.S You lost the right to call anybody a toff when you revealed you go hunting, drive a 4x4 and work in your dad's business.
I don't have a 4x4 anymore. I have an Audi s3 at present. 

Im not a toff, i consider myself well to do and passionate about hard work, honesty and family values, i stupidly vote labour because i hate the upper classes (exept this time, i was a rebel and voted UKIP...not that it changed anything) anyway, thats not for now. 

I do have a real and genuine fear though that once Eddie croaks, thats the end of bwfc... 

Dont get me wrong - i come across as far fetched because i have a thing about typing off the cuff, it makes for better posts imo, I sometimes read them back and think "ouch" but they are my opinion.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If in fact the finances of the club have been mismanaged for years then why have we not seen heads roll?  Not just Phil but various directors who have a hand in it.  If this was a public company the shareholders would have jumped all over these clowns years ago. There is just something fishy about the whole thing.

terenceanne wrote:If in fact the finances of the club have been mismanaged for years then why have we not seen heads roll?  Not just Phil but various directors who have a hand in it.  If this was a public company the shareholders would have jumped all over these clowns years ago. There is just something fishy about the whole thing.

We need the FBI to step in.

Fifa have been getting away with it for years and it looked like they were untouchable.

But now look at 'em....... Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

to get back on topic, has anyone actually seen this lad play? I haven't got a clue about him to be honest

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't want to get into the debt discussion yet again, but I have had to laugh at some of the suggested signings over the last 3 years - as well as some of the actual signings. Fact is that despite massive cutbacks by Dougie - and to a lesser extent Coyle who seemed to think we'd be able to get back into the prem at the first attempt - we are still trading at a loss.
That may resolve itself now that the last of the really expensive wage earners have gone, but it does mean that transfer money will start depend largely on player sales.
Sadly, we have got b***** all from players we've let go in recent times and none of the current lot are worth much if anything.

I don't think we've ever been further away from the Rioch era when we regularly bought players for peanuts and sold them on for millions - but we need to reproduce those times again if we are going to progress as a club IMO. In the meantime, these youngsters are going to have to step up to the plate and show premiership quality because we aren't going to buy our way back to the top table.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum