Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren Pratley gets the captain's armband

+2
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DARREN Pratley has been installed as the new captain of Bolton Wanderers.

The midfielder, who signed a new three-year contract this summer, will wear the skipper’s armband which was vacated by Matt Mills at the end of last season.

It completes a remarkable turnaround at the Macron Stadium for Pratley, who had struggled to hold down a regular place at Wanderers until Neil Lennon’s arrival in October.

The 30-year-old has now been given the biggest vote of confidence possible – with Lennon confirming he will be the man to lead the club into the new Championship campaign.

“He’s the right age, he’s got experience, quality, he’s got leadership qualities and they respect him in the dressing room,” he told The Bolton News.

“I think it’ll also give Jay Spearing a little bit less of a burden so he can improve his all-round game.”

Pratley failed to hold down a regular spot under the man who signed him, Owen Coyle, or Dougie Freedman but came into his own last season once Lennon installed him as the energetic heartbeat of his midfield.

“I’ve always liked him as a player,” he said. “I liked him in his Swansea days when I was at Celtic.

“You never lose your ability, but sometimes you lose your way a little bit, psychologically and confidence-wise. I just needed to put my arm round him, get him in the team and he performed very, very consistently for us. He was a big loss to us when he eventually went out for the season with injury.”

Wanderers were well beaten by SC Paderborn last night in their final game of their Austrian tour, with Gary Madine netting the only goal in a 4-1 defeat in Kapfenburg.

“I’m not interested in results at this stage,” Lennon insisted. “The fact we got no injuries from the game was pleasing and the players got more minutes under their belts, which is all I’m really looking for at this stage.

“I’ve been through enough pre-seasons to know that results don’t really matter at this stage, so if people want to moan and groan, then fine.

“It has been a very good trip. The players have worked very hard for me and we will get better and stronger. They have applied themselves well and in terms of a football exercise, we got out of it what we wanted.”

Meanwhile Wanderers were breathing a little easier yesterday as Leicester City finally filled their managerial void with the surprise appointment of ex-Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri.

Speculation over whether the Foxes would approach Lennon had become somewhat of a millstone around the club’s neck in recent weeks.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/13417038.Darren_Pratley_gets_the_captain_s_armband_at_Bolton_Wanderers/

Great news. Just posted in the other thread. Reckon he will score quite a few and lead by example.

Turned it down last year apparently

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shit choice. Another BWFC manager underestimates the importance of having a real leader on the pitch. Pratley is a ponce, hardly a bloke you'd want in the trenches with you when the going gets tough.

he'll smash it, lead us to the premiership and you'll be left eating your hat

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:he'll smash it, lead us to the premiership and you'll be left eating your hat

The fact you think this bag of bones could "smash" anything says a lot about you.

Do you consider Theo Walcott a hulk of a man?

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:he'll smash it, lead us to the premiership and you'll be left eating your hat

The fact you think this bag of bones could "smash" anything says a lot about you.

Do you consider Theo Walcott a hulk of a man?

Not one bit, But Pratley will be the right man for the job.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pratley couldn't smash a Bolton Nuts XI.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Pratley couldn't smash a Bolton Nuts XI.

i bet you'd let him smash your back doors in

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Quite happy about this. Of all the players available I would say Pratley is probably the best choice for the job. If it was up to Nat we would have to do without a captain. Even if you think everyone is a ponce, you still have to pick the best ponce for the job. I reckon pratley will have a very good season if he can stay injury free.

Bwfc1958 wrote:Quite happy about this. Of all the players available I would say Pratley is probably the best choice for the job. If it was up to Nat we would have to do without a captain. Even if you think everyone is a ponce, you still have to pick the best ponce for the job. I reckon pratley will have a very good season if he can stay injury free.

:agree:

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Quite happy about this. Of all the players available I would say Pratley is probably the best choice for the job. If it was up to Nat we would have to do without a captain. Even if you think everyone is a ponce, you still have to pick the best ponce for the job. I reckon pratley will have a very good season if he can stay injury free.

No, you go out and make a captain your Summer target number one.

A lot of average teams get success by having strong leaders on the pitch, how many do we have? Pratley would be near the bottom of the list.

And many people seem to conveniently forget the previous three seasons of absolute shite from Pratley - if he reverts to type he'll be the number one target for the boo-boys inside a month, just like our last captain Jay Shearing.

We were battered by so many teams last season who wanted to win more - for all Lennon's reputation for tough tackling and commitment he's so far filled the team with utter ponces.

Imagine you were in a gang made up of Clough, Vela, Clayton and Mavies - Horrid Henry's Purple Hand gang would kick them to shit.

Whilst I agree in principle, the problem is though, that anybody with "Experienced captain" on their CV is automatically priced out of our range.

Look at Morgan for example.

Lennon wanted him but he ended up going to the mighty Wigan Athletic because we couldn't even afford some clogger from Rotherham's wage demands.

You spent a large amount of time at the end pf last season saying that "money would be found for the right players" but given recent evidence, that's not happening, is it?

Hence why Pratley (best of a bad bunch) has been given the armband.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't say it would be easy to find a captain, but by announcing Pratley as captain almost a month before the season kicks off he's made it clear he has no intention of looking.

I don't believe for a minute there aren't average (captain) players in League 1 & 2 that wouldn't jump at the chance to play for BWFC. And let's be honest, if we had an average defender he would automatically become our best player.

Natasha Whittam wrote:I didn't say it would be easy to find a captain, but by announcing Pratley as captain almost a month before the season kicks off he's made it clear he has no intention of looking.

I don't believe for a minute there aren't average (captain) players in League 1 & 2 that wouldn't jump at the chance to play for BWFC. And let's be honest, if we had an average defender he would automatically become our best player.

anyway, we've lost 2 (meaningless friendly) games on the bounce, why aren't you back to supporting chorley again?

It's not that he's got no intention, he can't find anybody, can he?

And all these players in Leagues One and Two that you cite will all cost money.

Money we haven't got, in case you hadn't noticed.

Come on, you used to be sharper than this.......

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:It's not that he's got no intention, he can't find anybody, can he?

And all these players in Leagues One and Two that you cite will all cost money.

Money we haven't got, in case you hadn't noticed.

Come on, you used to be sharper than this.......

Bolton didn't lose Morgan over money.

There are plenty of players in League 1 and 2 out of contract, just like in any other league in the world. That Derek bloke from Real Madrid will have cost something, I doubt he's playing for free - you're telling me a League 1 player wants more money than ex-Real Madrid?

Maybe you're right and there isn't anyone, but don't give up in mid-July. Fat Sam never signed anyone until August.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i would have loved us to have signed Austin from Leeds as he would have been captain material and also a good player. 

It sounds like Spearing may play a big part this season going on what Lennon said about taking that weight off his shoulders, lets hope if he does stay he can get back to his best form.

Regarding "Derik", he's some kid who failed to make the grade at Madrid (no shame in that obviously) after having played a handful of games for their Reserves and spending the majority of his time there playing for their "C" team.

They released him (without ever having played for the first team) and, at 22, he's at a pivotal point in his career, so he (or more probably his agent) thinks: "Let's go to England and get some of that Sky money!" so he signs for us on about a grand a week, in the hope that he gets snapped up by a "big" club.

So he's hardly a Galactico, is he?

And given that the average wage for a player in League One is about two and a half grand a week, that makes him a far cheaper option.

Do you really think that any player in Leagues One or Two will take a pay cut to join us (even if they are out of contract)?

I don't - There are 92 league clubs and I reckon the only ones who we would be able to attract would be the ones nobody else wants (like Madine) because the rest will all be biding their time and looking at other options.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Do you really think that any player in Leagues One or Two will take a pay cut to join us (even if they are out of contract)?

Yes, if there are no other offers.

But £2,000-3,000 a week is still nothing to BWFC. I just don't think we try hard enough to find rough gems from the lower leagues. Derek is a move in the right direction but too often we choose the "failed at their last club but they were good once" tactic so we end up with shite like Beckford, Mills, and Trotter.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Derik is on 12k a week

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum