Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Patience the key for Clayton to return to Max power

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers boss Neil Lennon believes patience is the key with Max Clayton's return to the first-team.

The 21-year-old forward has started just two games this season after a lengthy absence with a cruciate knee ligament injury that saw him miss nine months of football.

He sparkled in his comeback game at home to Brighton last month and kept his place the following week when the Whites lost in stoppage time at QPR.

Since then, however, Clayton has been limited to a place on the bench – coming off it just once as a replacement for the injured Wellington Silva against Birmingham a week ago.

But Lennon says there are no concerns over the ex-Crewe forward's overall fitness after such an extended rehabilitation.

The Whites boss is just wary of too much football too soon for the youngster.

Lennon told The Bolton News: "There are no worries fitness-wise – he’s just finding his way.

“You get that initial burst when you first come in but then there’s a dip.

“He’s going through that at the moment but we’re hoping a bit more game time and more training and he’ll come good."

Clayton could get his chance in the televised Lancashire derby at Preston North End on Saturday if Mark Davies and Gary Madine do not recover from the injuries they picked up in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Leeds United at the Macron Stadium.

However, it is more likely weekend goalscoring debutant Shola Ameobi will get the nod in attack after his immediate impact following his arrival on a short-term deal.

Lennon was delighted with his efforts after replacing Madine early into Saturday's game at the Macron.

And he insists the ex-Newcastle front man has not been brought in to sit in reserve.

The Wanderers manager said: "He’ll play – I don’t need a substitute.

"We’ll get him up and running and he will be a good signing.

“I want to be at the stage that I am offering him a longer-term contract because it will mean he’s done really well for us."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum