Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Greatest Jazz Artist

+6
wanderlust
Bwfc1958
Norpig
Hip Priest
karlypants
xmiles
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 11:55

I feel old now.

And I no longer respect Mr Pig's taste in music.

(Although I did buy the Curiosity Killed The Cat album, so we've all got skeletons in our musical closets, I suppose....)

22Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:01

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I feel old now.

And I no longer respect Mr Pig's taste in music.

(Although I did buy the Curiosity Killed The Cat album, so we've all got skeletons in our musical closets, I suppose....)
that's even worse than mine Very Happy i also had Go Wests and Living In a Box's albums but on the flip side i really loved and still do Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair and listen to it regularly.

23Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:11

Ok, you've shamed me into it:

I bought Against All Odds by Phil Collins and I also owned a copy of The Riddle by Nik Kershaw.

There....I've admitted it.

24Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:13

Start a thread breaders. I've got a few skeletons i could do with laying bare

25Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:16

OK.

26Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i've got a few more crackers lined up  Very Happy

27Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bit of a Miles love-in going on? I like Bebop and I guess Miles D was involved albeit less so than Parker, Gillespie, Roach and Monk etc. TBF I have more MD albums than any other jazz musician apart from John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock, but jazz is a big church and there are some cracking tunes especially around the edges - which are hard to define.
Okocha for example, is clearly in love with Joni Mitchell and she hired a jazz team to produce her best work (IMO) - albums like Hejira, Court & Spark, Summer Lawns etc which were all basically jazz albums.
As a guitarist, I can recommend the San Francisco collaboration between Paco de Lucia, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola - which obviously veered off into Spanish stylie (but so did Miles in 
Sketches!) 
Love the jazz "classics" but I find it more interesting when it encroaches on other genres for the most part. Sometimes it's difficult to work out where jazz ends and e.g. blues or rock - or increasingly pop - begin. There are lots of great jazz artists and what is nice about it is that they all have their own style and favourite genres so it's impossible to say who the greatest was/is.

28Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 12:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quick post while I'm pain free.
Always loved jazz,Thelonius Monk in particular,despite my Dad insisting he sounded like Les Dawson.
I wouldn't like to pick a favourite though. I just like to sit back and enjoy some of the finest musicians who ever drew breath. These 4 for a start. Amazing. I'll fight anyone who thinks there has ever been a better drummer than Krupa.

29Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 13:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Quick post while I'm pain free.
Always loved jazz,Thelonius Monk in particular,despite my Dad insisting he sounded like Les Dawson.
I wouldn't like to pick a favourite though. I just like to sit back and enjoy some of the finest musicians who ever drew breath. These 4 for a start. Amazing. I'll fight anyone who thinks there has ever been a better drummer than Krupa.
Art Blakey? Max Roach? Buddy Rich? Elvin Jones? I like Billy Cobham too but probably because of the recordings he was involved with. Not as technically gifted as Rich, explosive as Jones or creative as Blakey but nonetheless a good 'un.

30Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 13:37

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:Bit of a Miles love-in going on? I like Bebop and I guess Miles D was involved albeit less so than Parker, Gillespie, Roach and Monk etc. TBF I have more MD albums than any other jazz musician apart from John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock, but jazz is a big church and there are some cracking tunes especially around the edges - which are hard to define.
Okocha for example, is clearly in love with Joni Mitchell and she hired a jazz team to produce her best work (IMO) - albums like Hejira, Court & Spark, Summer Lawns etc which were all basically jazz albums.
As a guitarist, I can recommend the San Francisco collaboration between Paco de Lucia, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola - which obviously veered off into Spanish stylie (but so did Miles in 
Sketches!) 
Love the jazz "classics" but I find it more interesting when it encroaches on other genres for the most part. Sometimes it's difficult to work out where jazz ends and e.g. blues or rock - or increasingly pop - begin. There are lots of great jazz artists and what is nice about it is that they all have their own style and favourite genres so it's impossible to say who the greatest was/is.

Glad to hear you like John McLaughlin (my favourite guitarist). What other guitar players do you like WL?

There are a lot out there but the ones I have most albums by after McLaughlin and Jeff Beck are Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, Scott Henderson, John Scofield, Jeff Richman and Pat Metheny.

31Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 13:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No problem with any of your picks Lusty,although if Rich was made of chocolate he'd have licked himself to death.
There really are too many great musicians to go at.

32Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:09

I only know one Billy Cobham track but it's insane - 

33Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What other guitar players do you like WL?
Loads - but there are so many styles and genres.

Looking forwards to the next series of Guitar Star on Sky Arts but am thinking about dropping SKY so might have to try to find it online.

If you have a SKY account and missed the series, you can watch the last series highlights here: http://www.sky.com/tv/show/guitar/episodes

Great talent show that covers a wide range of styles as represented by the mentors who ranged from Rodrigo y Gabriele to Tony Iommi.

34Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I only know one Billy Cobham track but it's insane - 

I remember this was when he got into lift music - a style I don't especially like - when he left Mahavishnu in the mid 70s? But he did drum up a storm on the same album I think.

35Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sidney Bechet would have to be on my list.

36Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just found this audition for Guitar Star - one of my favourites.

...and the audition of the lad who eventually won the jazz section:

37Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:46

This thread smells of old men in corduroy.

38Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 14:53

Howard Moon

39Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 15:04

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:This thread smells of old men in corduroy.
Had a pair of camel coloured Levi's that were corduroy when I was younger and thought I looked great at the time.

Looking back at this makes me cringe now! 

That must be why I hate jeans with zips now! Very Happy

40Greatest Jazz Artist - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Jazz Artist Mon Nov 16 2015, 15:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum