Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

+10
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
Norpig
rammywhite
scottjames30
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
Numpty 28723
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 15:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm quite fascinated by astronomy - in fact I find it mind blowing.

A few things have happened recently that do not seemed to have been mentioned on here so I thought I would post a quick catch up for anyone who is interested.

First let me try and set the scene by stating a few basics for those who don't really know that much about the subject.

We, the earth and our fellow planets, Mars, Venus, Saturn, etc, are in the SOLAR SYSTEM - that is a group of planets revolving around a star (we call our star is the 'Sun')

Solar Systems clumped together in a neighbourhood make up GALAXY - we call our galaxy the Milky Way

Maybe it might help if you think of our Solar System as being Bolton, then our Galaxy (the Milky Way) is Greater Manchester (or say Lancashire if you prefer).

The next galaxy to us is a vast distance away - so vast in fact the distance is not measured in miles or kilometres but how long it would take if you could travel at the speed of light!

Now it starts to get mind blowing.

Our Galaxy is nowhere near been measured yet because it is thought to have many BILLION stars in it a guess is something like 300 Billion possibly many more - and its diameter across is thought to be something like 120,000 light years across maybe even more!

I don't know if any of you have been luckily enough to been on holiday somewhere where you could see the night sky free from all the light pollution that you get in towns and city's but if you had all the millions and millions of stars you could see (bar one) ALL are in our galaxy.

In fact we simply can not see with the naked eye any other star from another galaxy - the only think from outside we can see (and it is so far away it looks just like a speck of light) is our neighbouring galaxy known as The Andromeda Spiral - which by the way is on a collision course to crash into us but that is another story.

Why am I mentioning that we can see virtually nothing from outside our galaxy - it is to try and show you the scale we are working to because there is not just our two galaxy's (Milky Way and Andromeda) in the UNIVERSE (the universe is everything there is - if we have used Bolton, and Lancashire to use in place of Solar System and Galaxy, then think of the universe as being our world).

No, there are far more than two galaxys, the best guess for now is something like 100 BILLION galaxys each containing hundreds of billions of stars - and we haven't even started to count the planets they all have yet!

The universe is now calculated to be 13.7 billion years old - and 93 BILLION light years across is still EXPANDING at close on light speed!

Let me try and give you an understanding of this.

When some of the first stars where created and started to shine their light we, our galaxy, had not been born, by the time that light had been glowing and where TWO THIRDS of its way towards where we are today our solar system was just being born.  As this light was almost upon us, the first complex life on earth was just evolving!

One speck of light had travelled 13 billion light years to us and we hadn't even got to our dinosaur stage yet!

And we are just ONE star out of HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of stars in our galaxy and ONE galaxy out of Hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxy's in the universe.

Anyway what this recent news.

Well the big news was that something called gravitational waves (as predicted by Einstein 100 years ago) have just been discovered.  Big deal I hear you thinking - well to find this wave two black holes had to collide into each other over a billion light years away and this distorted light that reached us by a fraction of an atoms width - and some clever bastards (Ian Dury reference) had to design and build something to find and capture that evidence.

Jaw droppingly clever really.

Also some astronomists now think their might indeed be a ninth planet in our solar system (we are down to eight since Pluto was relegated).

A Sky at Night iplayer programme on it for anybody who might be interested in it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07176xp/the-sky-at-night-planet-9-from-outer-space

2Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 16:39

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Poor Pluto, the Bolton Wanderers of the solar system Sad

3Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 16:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Huge subject. First got hooked as a kid,watching 'The Sky At Night' with Patrick Moore. 
Then along came Carl Sagan,with his 'Cosmos' series,and I've never looked back.
If there's ever been a better communicator than Sagan,I,for one,haven't found him/her.
You can catch the 'Cosmos' series on youtube.

This should be highlighted as a Bumchum thread to avoid offending others.

4Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:04

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That reads like a primary school teacher trying to explain to a class of 5-6 year olds. Nice of you to cater for the handful of idiots on here sluffy.

5Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm not into this bumchum stuff, to be learning about where we are, what we are and where we've come from is fascinating stuff.

Here's another fact to get your head around.

In very simple terms the universe when it started off was only comprised of the most basic of all elements Hydrogen and Helium. Over eons of time these gases slowly came together under the influence of gravity and pulled in on themselves until greater and greater masses of gas came together, crushing itself until it got so hot it ignited and became the first stars.

As the stars got hotter it created chemical reactions that formed more 'new' elements, until the first 26 of them up to iron where formed.

The stars survived a sort of balancing act between gravity trying to crush them to nothing and the 'radiation' it was creating from their heat, trying to expand them.

Finally the stars 'fuel' ran out and for the biggest of stars this led to them rapidly collapsing in on themselves until they could not go any further and the 'power' of this collapse rebounded off itself to blow the stars apart.

These explosions created greater heat than was ever known and created the rest of the regular 92 elements through chemical reactions - and these were flung throughout the universe.

Why am I jabbering on about all this - because every living thing includes some of these elements to make them.

We therefore, at one point in our creation came from the inside of a star!

Hard to believe - but non the less true.

6Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:35

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Boggersbelief wrote:That reads like a primary school teacher trying to explain to a class of 5-6 year olds. Nice of you to cater for the handful of idiots on here sluffy.

Happy to help.

7Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:38

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just imagine what Aliens could tell us about the universe.

8Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:48

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Where did all that gas and the star come from?

9Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:13

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Irammywhite wrote:Where did all that gas and the star come from?

I'm not telling you.

10Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:14

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

scottjames30 wrote:
Irammywhite wrote:Where did all that gas and the star come from?

I'm not telling you.
Go on, don't be rotten!!

11Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

rammywhite wrote:Where did all that gas and the star come from?

The stars came from the gas collapsing in on itself until they self combusted.

The gas came from the sub-atomic particles - such as the protons and neutrons (the smallest particles thought to be possible) forming into atoms and creating elements - the most basic of which being Hydrogen and Helium.

12Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:27

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

The gas came from the sub-atomic particles - such as the protons and neutrons (the smallest particles thought to be possible) forming into atoms and creating elements - the most basic of which being Hydrogen and Helium.

You know what's coming next......where did the sub atomic particles come from?

13Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:32

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Where did the gas come from?

14Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:35

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

rammywhite wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

You know what's coming next......where did the sub atomic particles come from?

They've always been there - otherwise everything - me, you, space itself could never exist.

Unless of course God created them and if so who created him/her?

15Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:37

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

scottjames30 wrote:Where did the gas come from?

Sluffy wrote:The gas came from the sub-atomic particles - such as the protons and neutrons (the smallest particles thought to be possible) forming into atoms and creating elements - the most basic of which being Hydrogen and Helium.

16Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:37

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is no God no matter what Nat thinks  Very Happy

17Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:There is no God no matter what Nat thinks  Very Happy
If there was a god then he would have fixed her fanny!

18Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

At some point in time there was nothing, absolutely nothing.

You can't make something from nothing. Unless you're a God.

19Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy did the discovery about gravity and space the other day mean they are closer to working our how the big bang actually happened?

20Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Empty Re: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:43

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:
If there was a god then he would have fixed her fanny!
That's what I like about this forum- eventually it gets round to Nat and her anatomy

Last edited by rammywhite on Mon Feb 15 2016, 18:50; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum