Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Twinkle, twinkle little star.

+4
Bwfc1958
wanderlust
gloswhite
Sluffy
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Twinkle, twinkle little star. Sun Nov 16 2014, 21:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Well not a star really, nor a lot of twinkling either but I was mightly impressed on the landing of the space ship on that commet last week.

I've not seen mention of it on the forum - forgive me if there was and I've missed it - but the planning and execution of the project is truly jaw dropping.

It took TEN years for the little spaceship to get to the commet.

So all the technology they are using is already that much out of date compared to what they must be able to do these days.

The spaceship travelled four BILLION MILES to get to the commet - which is just about 4 Kilometers big.

The commet is travelling at 40,000mph - so to must the spaceship.

As we can't build enginees or carry enough fuel to go anything like 40,000mph the only way the scientists can get to that speed is to use planets gravatation to 'sling-shot' the little spaceship off in to space at those speeds.

The planning to do all this took 15 years - so that's 25 years ago since the plan began - 15 years to build plus 10 years to get there.

How the feck they could see the commet 4 billion miles away (or whatever it was when they first came up with a plan) - and intercept it with a craft some how travelling at 40,000mph itself - is mind blowing stuff really.

Hats off to all involved.

I quite like all the star stuff.

Did you know for instance that all the stars that you can see with the naked eye, all come from our galaxy (the Milky Way) - you can't see a single star from another galaxy.

Our galaxy is roughly 100,000 LIGHT YEARS in diameter - how big is that!

But hold on, there are estimated to be about 100 BILLION other galaxies out there that we know about!!!

Get your head around that sort of figure!

Each galaxy as between a minimum of about ten million stars (our Sun is a star of course) and one TRILLION.

It is estimated that observable Universe contains 300 SEXTILLION stars - that is 300 with 23 zeros after it!!!

Mind blowing stuff.

2Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Sun Nov 16 2014, 23:02

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

and people still think there are no such things as aliens. Like you Sluffy, I love all this space malarkey, right from the days of the first moon landing. Incredibly clever stuff. ( I only ever read science fiction nowadays, for about  the last 30 years of so now),

3Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For sale: Used comet landing craft. One owner. Slightly dodgy landing gear but still a runner. Buyer must collect.

4Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 10:08

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Mind blowing stuff indeed. It's amazing how far technology has come along in the last 100 years and one can only imagine where the next 100 years will take us. Considering the number of stars in the mind boggling amount of galaxies I find it hard to believe that we are on the only rock that is in the 'Goldilocks zone' as it were. They may be more advanced and so far away it would take millions of years to get here or less advanced, such as small organisms on a young planet. Either way there must be something out there, and earth is the proof it can happen. I just wish I could be around when we find it, if ever. One thing is for certain, it won't be in our lifetime.

5Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 10:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

An amazing feat of technology. It really is mind blowing when you look at the years of preparation that took place to turn the project into success. 

I love all this kind of stuff.

6Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 10:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If it took 10 years to get there and the objective is to learn how to be able to get to comets and asteroids that are on a collision course with earth, does that mean that we should send craft out in every direction and let them hibernate until needed?

7Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 12:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:and people still think there are no such things as aliens. Like you Sluffy, I love all this space malarkey, right from the days of the first moon landing. Incredibly clever stuff. ( I only ever read science fiction nowadays, for about  the last 30 years of so now),
Although more fantasy than SF,I think Ray Bradbury is one of the greatest ever exponents of the genre.
'Everyone should read 'Something wicked this way comes'. A classic.Twinkle, twinkle little star. Book

8Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 12:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
gloswhite wrote:and people still think there are no such things as aliens. Like you Sluffy, I love all this space malarkey, right from the days of the first moon landing. Incredibly clever stuff. ( I only ever read science fiction nowadays, for about  the last 30 years of so now),
Although more fantasy than SF,I think Ray Bradbury is one of the greatest ever exponents of the genre.
'Everyone should read 'Something wicked this way comes'. A classic.Twinkle, twinkle little star. Book

For folk new to the genre - and everyone else for that matter - The Illustrated Man is perfect. Every home should have a copy in the loo as the short story format is ideal for a data dump.
Avoid the film.

9Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 12:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dead right about the film. Even Rod Steiger couldn't help it. A real turkey.

10Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 16:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

have to admit liking all the old stuff, Asimov, Clarke, etc. The Robot stories when they first came out were  excellent, (still are really), not to mention the Foundation Trilogy, (which ended up at least 4). There are some excellent modern writers too.

11Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 16:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:have to admit liking all the old stuff, Asimov, Clarke, etc. The Robot stories when they first came out were  excellent, (still are really), not to mention the Foundation Trilogy, (which ended up at least 4). There are some excellent modern writers too.

Have you tried Aldous Huxley Glos?

12Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:02

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

You should see "Mars Attacks!" - excellent work.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

13Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:06

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Men in black was also a great documentary. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

14Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was a vegetarians nightmare.

15Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Aaaarrrrgh.

16Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:27

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Another interesting subject thread gets the nuts treatment and goes off in a random direction........

17Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:29

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Twinkle, twinkle little star. Clangers-cute-5000568

18Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 17:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Another interesting subject thread gets the nuts treatment and goes off in a random direction........
That's the beauty of nuts. The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Very Happy

19Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 18:19

Ignore Boncey - his telescope's shit.

Laughing

20Twinkle, twinkle little star. Empty Re: Twinkle, twinkle little star. Mon Nov 17 2014, 18:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Ignore Boncey - his telescope's shit.

Laughing
:falltopieces:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum