Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ukraine v England

+10
wanderlust
gloswhite
largehat
aaron_bwfc
jayjay23
rammywhite
Hipster_Nebula
Lofty_Love
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 01:59

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Well we are through ....and daft as it may seem I think we can beat Italy.

Once again the opposition ran rings around us but couldn't get it in the net. Three deflections and hit Rooney on the noggin....that was that.

I suppose it's the result that counts but that's not good enough for me.

On the bright side: Terry & Lescott were our best players tonight, non stop and solid.

On the dark side: I clocked 9 minutes into the first half before Gerrad or Parker touched the ball .....Stevie's first touch was a 40 yard hoof straight out of play....Parker then played six passes .....sadly all backwards.

I'm no expert but that probably has somat to do with us being parked in our own half for long periods......Aye England / Bolton ....hard to tell the diference at the moment. Still on we go !!!!

32Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 07:47

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We Wuv Woy is in the air today. So he ended up starting Rodney, and maybe that's a good thing now we're through as his touch and control were appalling and time on the pitch can only help. Gets a tap in and all is forgiven. Young was poor again and in general we seemed incapable of keeping the ball apart from a few tidy spells. As predicted, Woy went narrow and only brought width on at the end. It's a Catch 22 - if we can't keep the ball when play is compressed in the middle of the park, we put ourselves under continuous pressure, but at the same time by playing narrow we can defend well as a unit - totally mirroring Coyle's dilemma last season (except OC refused to play narrow when required) I still think Carroll is the man for this tournament - never been a big fan but he's coming good at the right time. He's the only striker that the ball sticks to and so far his control and passing have been exemplary plus he puts it about and all these teams that try to emulate Barca are scared shitless of him. But to get the most out of him we need width and Woy is too cautious to go with that from the off. I just get frustrated with all the wasted possession, but it's the price we have to pay for having no wide outlets in order not to concede. Still, we're through and I suppose that's all that matters. Even if we crash and burn against Italy, I think Woy has done enough in a short time with players of hitherto dubious attitude to get the plaudits - so we'll be back to rampant nationalistic hype and inflated expectations before you know it - if it's not started already. Personally, I prefer being the no hoper underdog.

33Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 08:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:
On the dark side: I clocked 9 minutes into the first half before Gerrad or Parker touched the ball .....Stevie's first touch was a 40 yard hoof straight out of play....Parker then played six passes .....sadly all backwards.

I think we watched different games, I thought Gerrard was outstanding and Parker not far behind.

Our problem was two strikers who couldn't control the ball, nevermind hold onto it, and wingers that did f**k all. Again.

34Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 11:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:meanwhile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Great goal from Elmander. He is the sort of striker we could with at Bolton.

I can never tell if you're joking but in case there's any doubt thats ibrahimovich.

as for England, i thought Parker and Gerrard played well too, but their work was all defensive, a containment exercise against ukraine who are bang average is a bit telling.

I honestly thought England were woeful, i'll be interested to see how they do against Italy.

35Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 11:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
as for England, i thought Parker and Gerrard played well too, but their work was all defensive, a containment exercise against ukraine who are bang average is a bit telling.

I honestly thought England were woeful, i'll be interested to see how they do against Italy.

Hmmm, seem to remember you claiming I was always negative when it came to BWFC, seems you have a similar stance to England.

We won the group. Bar 10 minutes against Sweden we have had the best defence in the competition. If Roy could just get the wingers going we could win this tournament.

Stop moaning and get behind the team Hipster!

36Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 11:09

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster, I was of course joking.

Gerrard played OK but I don't think he deserved MOM. It should have gone to one of the central defenders.

I would go with Walcott in place of Milner for the clash with Italy.

37Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Hmmm, seem to remember you claiming I was always negative when it came to BWFC, seems you have a similar stance to England.

We won the group. Bar 10 minutes against Sweden we have had the best defence in the competition. If Roy could just get the wingers going we could win this tournament.

Stop moaning and get behind the team Hipster!

I don't "support" England so everything i say about them is from the standpoint of a neutral, which generally gets you a more realistic view.

I've already said i think Parker has been superb, he isn't technically gifted but what you do get is 100% effort and tenacity 100% of the time. I love watching him play, he runs himself into the dirt.

I was just reading the paper which had Ashley Cole as MOM.

They poured scorn on Milner giving him a 4/10 saying he's out of his depth.

38Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I don't "support" England so everything i say about them is from the standpoint of a neutral, which generally gets you a more realistic view.

I've already said i think Parker has been superb, he isn't technically gifted but what you do get is 100% effort and tenacity 100% of the time. I love watching him play, he runs himself into the dirt.

I was just reading the paper which had Ashley Cole as MOM.

They poured scorn on Milner giving him a 4/10 saying he's out of his depth.

But you're English, you have to support England by default! If I turned on the tv and England were playing the USA at basketball I'd automatically support England even though I know very little about the sport or the players.

Ashley Cole was ok, but Terry and Lescott were better. Milner has been a passenger for three games, I hope Roy picks someone else on Sunday.

39Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:16

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I won't go into it again but sadly i have a disconnect when it comes to England because of the players on show, i simply can't cheer them on. Not really bothered whether anyone thinks its wrong or stupid, thats the way i am. I'm certainly not alone either, on the forums over the years i've heard this stance echoed by a fair few.

40Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:17

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I GUARANTEE that within 48 hours Platini and/or Blatter will come out demanding goalline technology, because England have benefited from its absence. UEFA and FIFA hate us. You wait.

You were right LH, Sepp Blater has announced this morning on twitter than GLT is a "necessity" now...

(seriously)

41Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:32

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Well 3 more wins and we're champions. Very Happy

We certainly look very solid at the back but my only problem is our right hand side, Milner is our weak link in the midfield IMO, Walcott has to start on sunday.

Anyway regarding ''that goal'' what the fuck is that assistant doing stood next to the goal? Are they allowed to give decisions because I have yet to see any of them give a sodding thing, even in europe last season when they got introduced.

42Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 12:43

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I honestly don't think they've been "solid" in the slightest. More by luck than judgement really.

They gave up 16 shots last night and almost 60% of the possession against Ukraine, don't forget the goal that was conceded but ruled out.

They gave up 15 shots ON TARGET against France, and mustered a single shot themselves, again conceding 60% of the possession.

Against sweden they had more of the game but conceded two of the softest goals in the tournament and for 10-15 minutes afterwards looked all at sea.

43Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 13:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
largehat wrote:I GUARANTEE that within 48 hours Platini and/or Blatter will come out demanding goalline technology, because England have benefited from its absence. UEFA and FIFA hate us. You wait.

You were right LH, Sepp Blater has announced this morning on twitter than GLT is a "necessity" now...

(seriously)

If it had happened to Germany instead of us, in the World Cup then you can bet GLT would already be part and parcel of the modern game by now.

44Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 13:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I honestly don't think they've been "solid" in the slightest. More by luck than judgement really.

The defence has been pretty solid. For all Ukraine's posession last night they didn't get behind the English defence very often - even the "goal" they scored was offside so the defence did their job.

45Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 14:14

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Well it looks like most of agree that Milner is a weak link. Now if the majority of fans can see this why does the managment not see it.

Over the three games we have been beaten in possession, shots on goal, general midfield play. All by teams ranked lower than us. Now common sense tells you it's just a matter of time before somebody puts us to the sword. No complaints if this the best we've got then so be it.

46Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 14:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Well it looks like most of agree that Milner is a weak link. Now if the majority of fans can see this why does the managment not see it.

Over the three games we have been beaten in possession, shots on goal, general midfield play. All by teams ranked lower than us. Now common sense tells you it's just a matter of time before somebody puts us to the sword. No complaints if this the best we've got then so be it.

We have a good keeper, good defence, and good defensive midfielders in Gerrard and Parker. We should have Walcott & Young on the wings and Rooney & Defoe upfront.....pace scares any opposition, even Italy.

47Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 14:52

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha ....agree with you on Defoe..... most underated English forward IMO.

Why that lad can't get a game for Spurs or anybody else is beyond me.

I'd play Carrol & Defoe upfront with Rooney instead of Young.

48Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:48

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sepp Blatter eyes goal-line technology after England win

Obviously a good thing but he doesn't half hate England does he

49Ukraine v England - Page 3 Empty Re: Ukraine v England Wed Jun 20 2012, 16:10

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum