Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Odd holiday destinations

+5
bwfc71
Sluffy
Banks of the Croal
Reebok Trotter
largehat
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:20

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Northen Cyprus was like a step back in time, until fairly recently, but still worth a visit.

I have been to Cyprus but never to the northern side. Famagusta is supposed to have the best buildings and beaches. I have been to Nicosia and viewed the northern side from the UN controlled no mans land.

22Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I lived in Cyprus when i was kid.

23Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:28

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Which side ?

24Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:30

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

In the military, and as a visitor in later years, I used to go to the north regularly, and before they started letting in the tourists from the south, (started not too long aga I believe), we had the beaches to ourselves. Salamis beach was small but very nice. The service was brilliant, and the best hotel ws the one on thye beach in the Turkish part of Famagusta. Can't remember the name, but it was (is?) owned by the guy who ran away from the axman over here, to do with the Polly Peck empire. (Recently returned hasn't he?). Knw Kyrenia before and after the war, and Bellapais abbey. Brilliant places.

HN, where did you live?

25Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:38

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Glos, you are referring to Asil Nadir. He is back in the UK awaiting trial for fraud. He only came back because he got wind that Turkey were going to relax extradition proceedings with Turkish criminals wanted in Europe.

Were you based in Akrotiri ?

Last edited by Reebok Trotter on Thu Jul 05 2012, 22:39; edited 1 time in total

26Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:47

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Another place we've been Slovenia. (wife picks em) was ok.

This time England wer'e playing in the European Championships, so i wore my England shirt ,sometimes when out and about.

27Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:49

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

No, I was at the other end of the island. Nominally in Dhekelia garrison, but actually just outside Famagusta. There from 72-75, 77-80, and 90-93. 8 and a half years altogether.

28Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 23:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A mate of mine used to go to Cyprus twice a year for a holiday. It turned out his brother in law was in the RAF based in Akrotiri and he got free accommodation.

29Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 23:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Horwich white wrote:Went to Blackpool when i was a kid , i tell thee that is one odd place.

Hello and welcome Horwich.

Used to go to Blackpool too when I was a little kid - on a steam train - that's how long ago it was!

For some reason I never did understand, at some time during the holiday we had to take the tram to Fleetwood then the ferry to Knott end. It must have been a good day out for the grown ups I guess because I was always bored out of my mind that day.

I think we went for to buy some Isle of Mann kippers - but I could be making that bit up?

Hard to imagine that my parents probably scrimped and saved all year to take the family to Blackpool for a week, these days if you aren't jetting off on a plane with the kids somewhere then they don't consider that they've had a holiday at all!

Happy days.

30Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Wed Jul 04 2012, 23:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Which side ?

Akrotiri is where i lived.

31Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Thu Jul 05 2012, 17:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Your dad must have been a bluejob then? I was a pongo, also known as a brown job. (yeah, I know, not the best thing to be called). My first daughter was born in TPMH Akrotiri in 1980. Goold ole days.

32Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Thu Jul 05 2012, 18:18

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mum and dad were in the forces.

lived there from 84-86

33Odd holiday destinations - Page 2 Empty Re: Odd holiday destinations Thu Jul 05 2012, 18:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Quite liked that end of the island, although Limsassol could be a bit hectic at times. Best apple pie and cream I had was at the Bunch of Grapes and Pissouri. (I think the brandy cokes helped.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum