You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Records in Tesco.

Records in Tesco.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Records in Tesco. Empty Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 07:29

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I've just nipped into Tesco to pick up a butty because Mrs B couldn't be arsed making me any lunch last night (I'll deal with her later....) and I spotted some records on sale.

Proper records - Vinyl ones. Albums.

Anyroad, there weren't that many but it was a fairly eclectic mix - Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson, Adele, Sgt Pepper's, Now That's What I Call Utterly Shite Volume 47, etc but one thing did stand out.

The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths was £12 and But Seriously by Phil Collins was a whopping £20.

Twenty English Pounds for a shit album, released 27 years ago by a boring twat who only had a solo career because he could sing a bit like the bloke who used to do it in Genesis before he went mad and ran away (Brian Pern).

Is Phil Collins really worth eight quid more than Morrissey & Marr?

Not in my world.

Don't worry though, I sorted it.

There were only four copies of the Collins' album and they now reside at the bottom of a freezer under a load of bags of frozen chips, so nobody's going to get ripped off.

2Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 08:19

Guest


Guest
Records in Tesco. Fb_img13

3Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 08:19

Guest


Guest
Just to add though.  I do agree.

4Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 08:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
the price of vinyl now is shocking, i went in HMV in Manchester a while ago and most LP's were going for £20.

I never liked vinyl first time round, i always bought tapes instead and won't be joining in with the vinyl revival

5Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 09:48

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I wouldn't have paid twenty quid for a Phil Collins record in the 80's, let alone now.

In fact, I wouldn't even pay twenty quid for the little bastard to come round and sing in my front room.

Even if he brought some beer and a pizza with him.

And then cleaned my car.

And re-pointed the gable end......

6Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 10:03

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Fortunately I've a raft load of vinyl that's been liberated from the loft recently from the loft. The quality and weight of the stuff purchased today is of better quality than the original stuff in most instances due to remastering. Furthermore there's only two or three plants in Europe that produce vinyl I've been reliably informed, however this shouldn't effect the price differential.
I recently purchased a Miles Davis album which I only had as mp3 for £11-50 and have seen it much dearer.
On Tuesday Beth Hart vinyl was on sale for £20 but the same stuff could be purchased from outside varying between £14-50 to  £27, so it's how much the punter wants to pay and how much you want it. No different to every purchase you make really. After all who's dumb enough to have a shandy made with TT Landlord?

7Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 11:36

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
I recently dusted off some vinyl that had been stashed in my Mum and Dad's loft for 20 years and discovered that I have 10 copies of The Damned's Love Song. 6 different sleeves, 3 colours of vinyl (black, white and blue) and a 12" version. Clearly I was a tad obsessed with that band back in the day (and still am).

No Phil Collins though. Tosser.

8Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 12:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The only vinyl I've kept are my Dylan albums.

Gone nothing to play them on though.

9Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 12:56

wanderlust


Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@finlaymcdanger wrote:I recently dusted off some vinyl that had been stashed in my Mum and Dad's loft for 20 years and discovered that I have 10 copies of The Damned's Love Song. 6 different sleeves, 3 colours of vinyl (black, white and blue) and a 12" version. Clearly I was a tad obsessed with that band back in the day (and still am).

Damned played Stirling in the '77 and after 3 songs somebody threw a can on stage and they stopped playing and announced that if it happened again they'd walk.
Obviously next song they got showered in them and that was that. Bit pissed off with them as it was a charity do, they didn't get the spirit of punk and clearly had no sense of humour so they remain a  bunch of tosspots in my mind.

10Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 13:26

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@boltonbonce wrote:The only vinyl I've kept are my Dylan albums.

Gone nothing to play them on though.
i'm the same Boncey, i did buy tapes for albums but still bought a lot of 12 inch singles so i have all the Madchester bands and various dance/house records i can't play now as i have no turntable

Think i need to pay a visit to some of the second hand record shops in Manchester and flog them. Won't get much for them but better than nothing

11Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 13:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Norpig wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:The only vinyl I've kept are my Dylan albums.

Gone nothing to play them on though.
i'm the same Boncey, i did buy tapes for albums but still bought a lot of 12 inch singles so i have all the Madchester bands and various dance/house records i can't play now as i have no turntable

Think i need to pay a visit to some of the second hand record shops in Manchester and flog them. Won't get much for them but better than nothing
Don't know why I'm keeping mine. Although it's fair to say I'm a bit of a hoarder.

I certainly won't be joining the vinyl revival.

I remember owning a James Taylor album that skipped badly during track 2,and would only play if I weighted the top of the arm above the stylus with a threepenny bit.

Very hi tech.

12Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 16:25

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@wanderlust wrote:
@finlaymcdanger wrote:I recently dusted off some vinyl that had been stashed in my Mum and Dad's loft for 20 years and discovered that I have 10 copies of The Damned's Love Song. 6 different sleeves, 3 colours of vinyl (black, white and blue) and a 12" version. Clearly I was a tad obsessed with that band back in the day (and still am).

Damned played Stirling in the '77 and after 3 songs somebody threw a can on stage and they stopped playing and announced that if it happened again they'd walk.
Obviously next song they got showered in them and that was that. Bit pissed off with them as it was a charity do, they didn't get the spirit of punk and clearly had no sense of humour so they remain a  bunch of tosspots in my mind.
 
Almost 40 years is an awful long time to hold a grudge, lusty. Definitely a dick move on their part though.

I had a similar experience with Dr. and The Medics the same week that Spirit in the Sky shot into the charts. The Anadin Brothers (the 2 female backing singers) didn't like people gobbing at them and threatened to walk if they didn't stop. They tolerated it for a while but cut the set short in the end.

To be honest, apart from your experience, I always thought The Damned had a good sense of humour and never really took themselves totally seriously. Maybe that came a little later in their career though.

13Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 17:02

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@boltonbonce wrote:The only vinyl I've kept are my Dylan albums.

Gone nothing to play them on though.
 I see Morrisons are selling retro record players at £30

14Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 17:37

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@gloswhite wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:The only vinyl I've kept are my Dylan albums.

Gone nothing to play them on though.
 I see Morrisons are selling retro record players at £30

Bloody hell! You could get yourself a Phil Collins album for close to that amount.

15Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 17:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I don't think anyone can deny "Another Day In Paradise" and "Easy Lover" are absolute classics.

Dr and The Medics could only dream of writing songs like those.

(BTW, I actually thought Dr And The Medics were a joke group like Jive Bunny and Black Lace.)

16Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 19:30

wessy

wessy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Never listened to Phil tax exile Collins after seeing him sucking up to Maggie Thatcher  He's a tosser

17Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 19:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Maggie is one of my heroes. What's your point?

18Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 19:49

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Bread2.0 wrote:I wouldn't have paid twenty quid for a Phil Collins record in the 80's, let alone now.

In fact, I wouldn't even pay twenty quid for the little bastard to come round and sing in my front room.

Even if he brought some beer and a pizza with him.

And then cleaned my car.

And re-pointed the gable end......
Sorry to hear your having problems with your gable end.

20Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 19:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Records in Tesco. $_32

21Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:01

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@Cajunboy wrote:

Sorry to hear your having problems with your gable end.

It's structurally sound but could do with a quick re-point in certain sections after the frost got to it last winter.

Nothing to lose any sleep over but thanks all the same.

Glad to report soffits, fascia boards and gutters all doing fine.

22Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:08

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@wanderlust wrote:
@finlaymcdanger wrote:I recently dusted off some vinyl that had been stashed in my Mum and Dad's loft for 20 years and discovered that I have 10 copies of The Damned's Love Song. 6 different sleeves, 3 colours of vinyl (black, white and blue) and a 12" version. Clearly I was a tad obsessed with that band back in the day (and still am).

Damned played Stirling in the '77 and after 3 songs somebody threw a can on stage and they stopped playing and announced that if it happened again they'd walk.
Obviously next song they got showered in them and that was that. Bit pissed off with them as it was a charity do, they didn't get the spirit of punk and clearly had no sense of humour so they remain a  bunch of tosspots in my mind.
I saw the Buzzcocks at Blackburn and Shelley got upset about being gobbed on. The drummer came from behind the traps and used his sticks on some fans heads! 
Mind they'd just been blown off stage by Joy Division, apparently a regular occurrence on that tour.

23Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Did any of you go to the Hardrock,in Stretford?

24Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:13

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@wessy wrote:Never listened to Phil tax exile Collins after seeing him sucking up to Maggie Thatcher  He's a tosser
+1
The reason the LZ live aid appearance was never put on the video was because they said the drumming was shit!!

25Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:15

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@boltonbonce wrote:Did any of you go to the Hardrock,in Stretford?
Yeh, went on the opening night when Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars were on. Came on at midnight if I remember, and I walked home to Bolton after the gig.

26Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I remember seeing Roxy Music and Hawkwind. Getting home again was always a bugger.

27Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:46

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
King Crimson, Santana, Focus and Genesis with Gabriel readily spring to mind of trips I had there. Happy Days.

28Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 20:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Soul Kitchen wrote:King Crimson, Santana, Focus and Genesis with Gabriel readily spring to mind of trips I had there. Happy Days.

Your musical taste is as bland as your posts.

29Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 21:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@Soul Kitchen wrote:King Crimson, Santana, Focus and Genesis with Gabriel readily spring to mind of trips I had there. Happy Days.

Your musical taste is as bland as your posts.
Music is a personal thing, as is being a cross dresser. You keep out of my personal tastes and I'll keep out of yours, alright?Smile

30Records in Tesco. Empty Re: Records in Tesco. on Wed Nov 23 2016, 21:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Soul Kitchen wrote:
Music is a personal thing, as is being a cross dresser. You keep out of my personal tastes and I'll keep out of yours, alright?Smile

I'd much rather be a cross dresser than admit to listening to that shite.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum