Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Giro d'Italia - First British winner ever in 101 years existance.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I know very few on here like cycling so I've not gone to the trouble of keeping people updated about the second biggest cycling event in the world - but what utter theatre and drama you have all missed!

With only the ceremonial roll out to Rome to go tomorrow, it is all but certain Chris Froome will become the 'pink jersey' and winner for the first time in the events history.

He will have beaten the existing Giro holder (and current world champion Time Trial holder) Tom Dumoulin from Belgium - and becomes only the third man in history to win the three big Tours of France, Italy and Spain (the other two to do it being the two greatest cyclists in history Eddix Merrckx and Bernard Hinault).

Frome currently holds all the three titles currently.

(Yes there is the shadow of his asthma spray, drugs test anomaly hanging over him but I think his peers know full well he isn't a drugs cheat).

The race itself was fantastic from beginning to end.

Bury lad Simon Yates look fantastic leading for much of the race until just the day before yesterday, having held an advantage over his big rival DuMoulin following the last Time Trial of the race and looked all on to in with Froome around 5 minutes off the pace back in about 5th place, having had an horrendous start, falling twice (the day before the start day in a practice ride and a few days into the race itself).

Froome wasn't even in the top ten during the second week until he found form and won on the Zoncolan - probably the most feared mountain ridden in European cycling.

Even then it left him the best part of 5 minutes back going into yesterdays 'Queen Stage' - the name given to the recognised hardest days cycling in a cycle racing event.

Froome was imperious.

The greatest days racing I've ever followed.

He attacked solo with 50 miles to race, up two remaining mountains and left the rest for dead.

He cracked Yates so thoroughly that at the end of the day he had taken over half an hour out of him and Yates dropped from first to almost twentieth!

Dumoulin had all but a two minute lead turned into a 40 second deficit.

These sorts of things don't happen in normal modern day cycling.

Pure theatre and utterly gripping stuff.

I feel sorry for those of you who constantly reject even considering following cycling as a sport, it's entertainment which builds and builds as the days go by is certainly on a par with events like the Ryder Cup or test match cricket at its best.

Fantastically well done Chris Froome, and now we wait for all the backroom twists and turns to follow!

Giro d'Italia - First British winner ever in 101 years existance. _101760107_froomeepa1

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What an absolute waste of champers.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gutted for Yates as he was doing so well until the time trial. Him and his brother have had terrible luck recently but they are definitely two for the future.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Gutted for Yates as he was doing so well until the time trial. Him and his brother have had terrible luck recently but they are definitely two for the future.

That's what Big Sam used to say when he signed young players- trouble was there was generally no future for them. But well done young Yates- lets hope he does do well in future

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This made me laugh

Giro d'Italia - First British winner ever in 101 years existance. Chris-Froome-was-chased-by-two-people-dressed-as-surgeons-carrying-an-inhaler-965119

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum