Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton players strike!!

+19
finlaymcdanger
Cajunboy
Kane57
Norpig
wanderlust
y2johnny
rammywhite
Sluffy
Leeds_Trotter
luckyPeterpiper
wessy
Growler
Natasha Whittam
observer
MartinBWFC
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

81Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sat Jul 07 2018, 23:18

Kane57

Kane57
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Better do it now than in four weeks

82Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sat Jul 07 2018, 23:42

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Basically this appears to be about a bonus paid to players for their 'performance' (using the term very loosely) in the league last season that comes out of money received by the club from the league based on their final position. Since the club doesn't actually get that money until the end of August the players are actually being paid two months in advance of the club. I suspect this is because player contracts generally run until the end of June so if a player is leaving he gets paid off all at once to clear him completely from the books. However I do think it odd that our players felt the need to issue an ultimatum about this bonus because to say they earned any such thing is charitable at best.

Now as to Ben Amos and wages that is a different matter. I don't agree with Ken that it's acceptable to delay paying his wages whether he's in talks with someone else or has kicked a ball for us or not. If he's here he has to be paid his wage on time, it's wrong to try and say he's too expensive or he hasn't played for us. He's got a contract regardless of how Ken or we may feel about it and the fact remains he was here at BWFC during June so he has to be paid June's wages on time along with everyone else.

Basically neither side has come out of this mess with much if any credit. Ken could and should have made some kind of proactive statement before the players and Iles managed to garble and twist the facts but he shoould also have ensured that everybody's wage was paid on time.

As to the players they should hang their heads in shame. They've completely betrayed the fans who got behind them despite their woeful performances last season and the ones who will now be out of pocket because they'd bought tickets and arranged travel for the St Mirren match. What I feel they could and should have done is gone to Ken in private and said, "We'll play St Mirren but we want our money by next week or we won't go to Preston" but they chose to run to the papers with at best a misleading and at worst deliberately false and inflammatory statement about what was actually happening. If I was Ken and/or Phil Parkinson I'd think long and hard about whether or not those players involved should even remain at BWFC given the damage they will have done to both morale and team unity. I suspect I'd decide to get rid of them all at the very first opportunity.

Personally I also blame Iles for instantly putting the most damaging possible spin on it to make Ken look as bad as possible and I fear this will make player recruitment well nigh impossible for the rest of this window because who'd want to come to a club that appears so fractious and divided? I don't know why the players and Iles chose to go down such a public and inflammatory route but they've done severe damage to themselves and the team's prospects. I don't know how the fans will react on the terraces but I suspect it won't be good unless those same players start putting in stellar performances from the very first whistle. Given how badly they performed last season I don't think it's at all likely that they will.

83Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 00:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The thing that intrigues me is who are those behind the strike and/or who advised them to do it?

Whoever did so must have known it would not only cause maximum damage to Anderson but to the prospects of the club.

Why would they want to do that over what appears to be nothing more than a storm in a teacup?

Does anyone really think the wages and bonuses would never be paid - of course they would, the footballers are 'guaranteed' payment under the football preference scheme (or whatever it is called) whereby they are the first in the queue of creditors and are paid in full even if that means nothing for the likes of HMRC.

Most of the players are millionaires and ok they might be put out about things - and yes it shouldn't happen and all that - but they could weather a storm financially more than most.

So it seems to me more of a vindictive act by the players to go on strike - to get back at Anderson personally - more than anything else to my way of thinking.

So why the sudden bad blood?

We don't have too many squad players anyway and we can rule out the new boys and the first year professionals from taking a lead on things, so that only leaves a core of players who were there last year and four who re-signed again.

Why re-sign if you thought things were shit last season?

Somethings happened - maybe something connected to Morais not returning and being his services were no longer required by a text message apparently?

It didn't have to come down to a strike, so why insist on one?

Must have caused a load of bad blood this - if I were Anderson I'd be looking to move the ringleaders out as soon as I could.

It's certainly not going to help the club in recruiting players or selling the club - who'd want to buy or play for an apparent shithole club?

The ringleaders have not helped themselves because they are going to have a tough season ahead of them if we can't get fresh faces or investment in - and they themselves have damaged that prospect.

Maybe they have looked after themselves and stood up to the club owner but at what price to the club itself and the fans that follow it once they've all fucked off to their mansions.

What was the thinking behind all of this and who was it that told them it was a brilliant idea to strike.

They've certainly shafted the club good and proper to get their bonuses for finishing just one place above relegation.

If they had any sense of decency they should have donated these ill deserved bonuses to charity so something good could have come out of how they played for most of last season.

But no, they went on strike for them - and fuck everybody else, club, fans, owner, manager, potential signings, potential new owners/investors, fans who lost out going up to St Mirren - no matter what happens as long as they are ok (even though they were guaranteed to be ok in any event).

84Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 00:40

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:The thing that intrigues me is who are those behind the strike and/or who advised them to do it?

Whoever did so must have known it would not only cause maximum damage to Anderson but to the prospects of the club.

Why would they want to do that over what appears to be nothing more than a storm in a teacup?

Does anyone really think the wages and bonuses would never be paid - of course they would, the footballers are 'guaranteed' payment under the football preference scheme (or whatever it is called) whereby they are the first in the queue of creditors and are paid in full even if that means nothing for the likes of HMRC.

Most of the players are millionaires and ok they might be put out about things - and yes it shouldn't happen and all that - but they could weather a storm financially more than most.

So it seems to me more of a vindictive act by the players to go on strike - to get back at Anderson personally - more than anything else to my way of thinking.

So why the sudden bad blood?

We don't have too many squad players anyway and we can rule out the new boys and the first year professionals from taking a lead on things, so that only leaves a core of players who were there last year and four who re-signed again.

Why re-sign if you thought things were shit last season?

Somethings happened - maybe something connected to Morais not returning and being his services were no longer required by a text message apparently?

It didn't have to come down to a strike, so why insist on one?

Must have caused a load of bad blood this - if I were Anderson I'd be looking to move the ringleaders out as soon as I could.

It's certainly not going to help the club in recruiting players or selling the club - who'd want to buy or play for an apparent shithole club?

The ringleaders have not helped themselves because they are going to have a tough season ahead of them if we can't get fresh faces or investment in - and they themselves have damaged that prospect.

Maybe they have looked after themselves and stood up to the club owner but at what price to the club itself and the fans that follow it once they've all fucked off to their mansions.

What was the thinking behind all of this and who was it that told them it was a brilliant idea to strike.

They've certainly shafted the club good and proper to get their bonuses for finishing just one place above relegation.

If they had any sense of decency they should have donated these ill deserved bonuses to charity so something good could have come out of how they played for most of last season.

But no, they went on strike for them - and fuck everybody else, club, fans, owner, manager, potential signings, potential new owners/investors, fans who lost out going up to St Mirren - no matter what happens as long as they are ok (even though they were guaranteed to be ok in any event).

Sluffy - You are correct... something happened to poison the relationship between the players and KA.  It is surprising the real reason has yet to surface. Obviously KA did something to rile some of the players... because no one with a brain or with deep pockets like these players would walk off the job without a warning.  They all should take a lesson from the major league baseball umpires who walked off suddenly.  They almost all lost their jobs.  Mutinies are not good for either side and I will bet the true answer will surface this week.

85Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 01:15

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Umpires can be replaced easily enough.Good luck to Ken if he chooses to sack the first team squad and replace the lot of them by the transfer deadline on 9 August.
 Ken is the owner of the club, the buck stops with him on matters like this.None of the other 91 league clubs have their players on strike over unpaid wages/bonuses.That will be because the other 91 owners pay the contracted wages and bonuses on time

86Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 01:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:Umpires can be replaced easily enough.Good luck to Ken if he chooses to sack the first team squad and replace the lot of them by the transfer deadline on 9 August.
 Ken is the owner of the club, the buck stops with him on matters like this.None of the other 91 league clubs have their players on strike over unpaid wages/bonuses.That will be because the other 91 owners pay the contracted wages and bonuses on time

I doubt very much that is true.

I doubt very much the whole first team is behind the strike.

There's always some stronger characters in a group and sometimes it's easier to go with the group than stand alone, particularly if you are new or young.

The players should have been paid, I agree but that doesn't always happen in real life.

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred things get sorted out but something happened in this case where the ringleaders wanted to show Anderson a show of strength.

For what reason I'm intrigued to know.

What has happened behind the scenes and who led the mutiny - and who were the ones that whispered in their ears to do so.

One things for certain they've left the club in a much worse position because of it and I reckon whoever pulled the strings must have known that and still went ahead with things.

What game is being played out at the club, what damage has it caused, what will the ultimate fall-out be?

87Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 02:24

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lee giving it large on twitter on a 5 star holiday in Dubai while they aren't getting paid what they are due would have annoyed them
They know how much Ken and Lee are taking out of the club in wages, they know Ken got £ 6 million for Madine without replacing him, and they know through staying up they have earned the club an extra £4 million in TV revenue.
Maybe they are just peed off with being paid when Ken feels like it rather than when their wages are due and have decided to do something about it.
This is 100% the owners fault, if he had paid everyone their contracted wages and bonuses the St Mirren game would have taken place.
The players are here for the same reason as  Ken, they are professionals here for the money.And Ken doesnt seem to have grasped that the players are the most important people at the club and need to be kept happy.

88Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 03:24

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:Lee giving it large on twitter on a 5 star holiday in Dubai while they aren't getting paid what they are due would have annoyed them
They know how much Ken and Lee are taking out of the club in wages, they know Ken got £ 6 million for Madine without replacing him, and they know through staying up they have earned the club an extra £4 million in TV revenue.
Maybe they are just peed off with being paid when Ken feels like it rather than when their wages are due and have decided to do something about it.
This is 100% the owners fault, if he had paid everyone their contracted wages and bonuses the St Mirren game would have taken place.
The players are here for the same reason as  Ken, they are professionals here for the money.And Ken doesnt seem to have grasped that the players are the most important people at the club and need to be kept happy.

You know stuff like this makes me laugh.

There's nothing in the accounts saying KA or LA are taking wages - but let's just say the £525,000 paid to Inner Circle Sports and Media and the £125,000 paid to Athos are exactly that.

So that's £650,000 between the two of them or £325,000 each.

They've both been there for two years so really we should half that figure but lets just say that is for one year.

So £325,000 divided by 52 weeks comes to £6,250 per week.

Amos is being paid £16,000 per week in comparison.

I would guess must if not all of the senior players are probably on £10,000+ per week (Anderson said they were on more than that when the tighter embargo rules on wages came in at the start of last year).

So really compared to the players they are earning (if indeed they are taking anything at all out of the club as you say) fuck all compared to these players who you say seem so upset about him and Lee taking 'wages'.

Your (and many other anti-Anderson's 'theory's') just doesn't stack up when you really think about them do they?

Yes we apparently got £6 million for Madine - but did Ken pocket it as you say?

At the start of last season we were told we would run at a deficit for that financial year of £6 million - ie it cost £6 million more to run the club than the income we estimated we would receive.

When the accounts are published we all will see if the club more or less broke even, or if it still shows the estimated trading loss of £6 million despite receiving £6 million for Madine (assuming all the money was paid in one year and not spread over several).

I'm of the opinion the accounts won't show anything like a £6 million loss and closer to a breakeven.

That will show us one way or another where the money went.

As for the players staying up and earning a net £4 million more than if the club had been relegated - isn't that what they are paid to do in the first place - win games and not get relegated?

You don't employ footballers and pay them £10,000+ a week, then say you are going to get that anyway even if you don't bother trying and we lose every game and get relegated - but because we don't want to get relegated we will pay you bonuses on top to make you at least try to keep us in this division.

Again when you think about it, it simply doesn't make much sense does it?

Yes KA should have paid the wages and the bonuses on time, or at least agreed with players about late payment but the players so publicly fucking the club just to make some ridiculous point (we all know they are going to be paid no matter what) is just vindictive and counterproductive to everyone including themselves.

Someone has deliberately led them down a wrong path and I for one would love to know who did it and what their agenda is.

It's clearly not in the best interest of the club - that's for sure.

89Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 09:29

Some real drivel on here. Sluffy - as much as you want to lambast the ‘Anti-Andersons’ (which seems to be a set of social media trolls as much as anything else these days - you are have become as blinkered as they are.

The reason the players are striking is not in question, there is no theory needed - footballers care about money (big surprise), if they think there’s a serious risk of not being paid at some point they’ll strike. 

If there was any doubt we would have seen affirmative action from the entire squad. This has happened before and clearly enough they don’t trust Anderson. Not paying them is one thing, not communicating anything to them about the delayed payments is another.

Sluffy wrote:
You don't employ footballers and pay them £10,000+ a week, then say you are going to get that anyway even if you don't bother trying and we lose every game and get relegated - but because we don't want to get relegated we will pay you bonuses on top to make you at least try to keep us in this division

Yes that is exactly how bonuses work. Do I agree with them on a moral standpoint - no - are they necessary for contracts to be attractive given the market - yes. If you don’t want to pay them, don’t write them into contracts this is of no surprise to Ken that he needs to pay and when he needs to do so.

What’s clearly not in the best interest of the club is pissing off the entire playing staff. That is down to the board and the board only.

90Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 10:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've no idea what profession you are in but in most cases I know bonuses are set as a reward for doing better than a set target, performance or industry norm.

Surely you can't possibly be suggesting that the 'set target, performance or industry norm' of footballers is relegation and they need to be 'incentivised' financial to achieve more than that - ie not to be relegated?

Somethings happened recently otherwise the likes of Ameobi, Beevers and Alnwick wouldn't have re-signed in the last month, nor would new players such as Donaldson have come to the club either - I'm sure footballers have their own contacts and networks within the profession to know what clubs they need to steer clear of.

I reckon there is more going on here than meets the eye with this strike and I reckon whoever has the ear of the players and encouraged them to do so knew this would be damaging to the club far more than any embarrassment/shaming of KA over a payment issue (which seems to have revolved around whether the outstanding money hit their banks on a Friday (which the players demanded) or the following Monday (that KA appears to have done).

Hardly something to fuck the club over irrespective of who was in the right or wrong.

91Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 10:59

Are you seriously suggesting that a survival bonus is not an industry norm? You’re heads going to explode when you realise appearance, goal and clean sheet bonuses are also bog standard football contracts.

92Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 11:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that a survival bonus is not an industry norm? You’re heads going to explode when you realise appearance, goal and clean sheet bonuses are also bog standard football contracts.

I can assure you that nothing you can tell me would ever make my head explode.

Survival bonus, haha.

It's football mate, get a grip!

93Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 11:51

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:I've no idea what profession you are in but in most cases I know bonuses are set as a reward for doing better than a set target, performance or industry norm.

Surely you can't possibly be suggesting that the 'set target, performance or industry norm' of footballers is relegation and they need to be 'incentivised' financial to achieve more than that - ie not to be relegated?

Somethings happened recently otherwise the likes of Ameobi, Beevers and Alnwick wouldn't have re-signed in the last month, nor would new players such as Donaldson have come to the club either - I'm sure footballers have their own contacts and networks within the profession to know what clubs they need to steer clear of.

I reckon there is more going on here than meets the eye with this strike and I reckon whoever has the ear of the players and encouraged them to do so knew this would be damaging to the club far more than any embarrassment/shaming of KA over a payment issue (which seems to have revolved around whether the outstanding money hit their banks on a Friday (which the players demanded) or the following Monday (that KA appears to have done).

Hardly something to fuck the club over irrespective of who was in the right or wrong.

I think the key expression here is that there is more to this than meets the eye- which I think must be the case. As KA has said that he'll say no more about it, then unless one of the players puts his head above the parapet ,then I guess the whole story will never emerge. But  it is certainly murky and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

94Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 12:24

Sluffy wrote:
Survival bonus, haha.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

95Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 12:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Of course there was a survival bonus, every club sets a target before the season starts.

I'm sure Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea were on a bonus to win the league, the likes of Everton, West Ham & Leicester to finish in the top 6, and Brighton, Huddersfield & West Brom to avoid relegation.

Bolton had one target: to stay up. Of course thy were offered a bonus.

96Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 12:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
Survival bonus, haha.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hahaha, you do make me laugh at times.

I think there might be a teeny weeny bit of difference between paying parachuted in managers or no hope teams to somehow manage to stay in the billion pound Premier League (and the multi-million pounds of that they receive for just being in it) and on its arse clubs like us to finish ahead of mega clubs like Burton and Barnsley at the dogs end of the second division.

As I've said get a grip - its only football not Putin launching a nuclear attack on us.

Next you'll be telling us our soldiers are on 'survival' incentive bonuses too!

Ffs!

97Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 13:03

You really are making yourself look stupid here. Carry on though.

98Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 13:15

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:You really are making yourself look stupid here. Carry on though.

Haha, you're priceless!

You're the one spending his own time desperately googling stuff to try and prove a meaningless point to win a pointless argument against someone he's never even seen or met and I'm the stupid one?

Righto!

99Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 13:25

No I’m engaging with your forum, if you don’t want to believe in asurvival bonus that’s fine but I can assure you they’re common place and well known. I’m surprised you haven’t heard of them but I’m not going to hammer the point as, in regards to this thread, it has no relevance to the original point - regardless of what the bonus was for Ken is contractually obliged to pay it and the players are within their rights to demand it.

100Bolton players strike!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Bolton players strike!! Sun Jul 08 2018, 13:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:You're the one spending his own time desperately googling stuff to try and prove a meaningless point to win a pointless argument against someone he's never even seen or met and I'm the stupid one?

Righto!

Right, that's it. That's the giveaway. This is some sort of WUM drive to boost posts over the Summer.

Someone who spent all last week banging on about a foul by Harry Kane that no one else saw, isn't going to post the above unless it's a wind up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum